D&D 5E Desperately need help, trying to catch up to party.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
[MENTION=6846794]Gardens & Goblins[/MENTION] I know DEX modifier is not suppose to add into AC because of heavy armor, but that is the only way I can even attempt to keep up with the other players. Hell if I didn't add it I would have the lowest AC in the group.

That’s a bad sign. If you’re wearing heavy armor you should be on the high end of the AC spectrum without adding DEX. Sounds like your table is not playing by the rules, and if that’s not due to house rules there must be a major breakdown in rules interpretation happening somewhere. Sounds like you’re already trying to sort out with your DM what’s going on, which is good. Best of luck!

3y3g00

First Post
Besides what's already been said, I think we really need to see the other player's sheets to figure out how they're doing such high DPR. I don't think you're doing anything "wrong", because I can honestly say I've never seen a level 8 character do over 100 DPR in actual play.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
The long and the short of it is that your character is already far beyond what a typical 8th level character is like so it's hard for anyone to suggest improvements.

Or to put it in other words, if you took your character to another table those people might come to this board talking about how much more damage and overall effectiveness your character is in relation to everyone else and how they can catch up.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Talk to your DM. (Check!)
Talk to the other players.
Talk to a 'rules lawyer' about cloning your character's development from L1 to current condition. Make sure you are doing things 'by the book' before you accuse anybody else of taking advantage of anything.
Try to stay positive.
As a melee Fighter you are supposed to be the Tank but you also get several Extra Attacks the other PCs won't; will you catch up to their DPR when you start hitting things 3 times on your turn?

CTurbo

Explorer
For one thing, it seems you have chosen to be a Sword & Board Fighter which does not have a lot of feat support for added damage. You didn't even take the Dueling Fighting Style. Sentinel would be a good feat for you giving you a way to attack with your reaction. Shield Master can set you up to have advantage on some of your attacks. If you REALLY want more damage, drop the shield and take Polearm master or GWM and get your self a greatsword or greataxe.

As mentioned above, the DPR from the rest of your party is way off from what it should be. The Rogue only has 4d6 sneak damage. Even if it crit every round, it would only be a little over half of that much DPR.
If the Barb uses a Greataxe, and crits every attack(3 at most), it would only be able to deal 6d12(42 damage) + Str, rage damage(+2), and magic bonus damage. Let's assume his Str is 20 and has a +2 magic weapon. That's 27 more damage for 42+27= 69 damage total. Now we can add GWM feat for 30 more damage. That brings it to 99 damage per turn with a lot of assumptions. (Frenzy Barb, GWM, +2 Greataxe, every hit is a crit, etc...)

Your AC is bonkers high. You basically have a +3 magic shield which is seriously broken and should be considered a legendary item as far as I'm concerned.

cmad1977

Hero
Yeah. This game is way off into bonkersville. Just sit back and enjoy the chaos.

You guys SHOULD all start anew but...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redrick

First Post
The numbers here are crazy, but it's also reasonable to believe that a sword-and-board champion fighter with defensive fighting style would not have the same damage output as a Barbarian, an Archer, a Ranger and a Rogue, especially if the length of the adventuring day isn't forcing the ranger and barbarian to be thoughtful with their resources. Even ignoring Sharpshooter, a Ranger with Colossal Slayer and always-on Hunter's Mark is going to be a damage machine.

Sword and board fighter would be sacrificing damage output for AC and long-term resilience over the course of a long adventuring day. Unfortunately, if the rest of the party is also somehow walking around with 20+ ACs (I imagine the barbarian has an insane Unarmored Defense bonus due to maxed Dex and Con), that becomes meaningless, and if the adventuring day isn't structured to test the resources of the Daily abilities (spell slots, rages), that becomes meaningless.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases