• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Detecting Monster's Resistance to Fire

silentbob1

Villager
When a wizard throws a fire spell at a monster with fire resistance, does the wizard automatically know that the spell was not as effective as normal? Or does the wizard have to make a arcana, investigation or perception check?

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I generally let player's know after the attack by stating something vague like "It seems the flames of your spell are not as effective as you might expect."

I do this for any kind of resistance generally.

Shiroiken

Legend
I generally let player's know after the attack by stating something vague like "It seems the flames of your spell are not as effective as you might expect."

I do this for any kind of resistance generally.
Agreed. I usually have the creature respond to the energy based on its resistance/invulnerability/vulnerability. My personal favorite was when the Fire Sorceress used her fire spells against a resistant creature, but she ignored the resistance. It acted surprised and confused, shying away from her. It took them a moment to realize that it was normally resistant and didn't know how to handle the sudden loss.

Illithidbix

Explorer
Likewise.

I presume resistance or immunity becomes visually apparent when the creature first takes the relevant damage or a similar situation.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I think it would be a very strange thinh if it weren't immediately obvious that your flames weren't as effective as they should be.

Likewise, I think the difference between resistance and immunity should be obvious. Immunity should clearly do nothing while resistance should clearly not do enough, but do something.

As always, it's best to describe it narratively and only use game terms if your players stare at you blankly...

Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
. . . of course, the terminology we use is almost a running joke since every DM describes resistance pretty much the same way.

I had a player whose character used a lot of poison, and another who used a lot of fire, and they both began asking "does it look like my attack is just not as effective as I expected it to be?" When beginning combat with a new or unusual creature.

Caliburn101

Explorer
Damage isn't fully 'meat' trauma though... so it may look as if the creature got lucky or avoided the biggest part of the blast etc.

I give a relatively low DC (8-10) Perception or Investigation check (depending on the circumstances) for characters to notice unless it's blindingly obvious like fireballing a Fire Elemental...

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Damage isn't fully 'meat' trauma though... so it may look as if the creature got lucky or avoided the biggest part of the blast.

While what you say about HP is certainly true, I can't think of a monster that resists energy damage with the story expectation that they are "just lucky around fire" (for example).

Usually, they are *physically* resistant to it in some way.

If there's an example I'm not thinking of, I'd like to hear it. I'm sure in that case, there would be other visual clues.

Caliburn101

Explorer
While what you say about HP is certainly true, I can't think of a monster that resists energy damage with the story expectation that they are "just lucky around fire" (for example).

Usually, they are *physically* resistant to it in some way.

If there's an example I'm not thinking of, I'd like to hear it. I'm sure in that case, there would be other visual clues.

I tend to use the example of a monk in a sealed room the same shape and radius as a fireball who gets hit by a fireball and manages to 'avoid' ALL the damage. Logic has only a shaky position at the D&D table sometimes. :)

I think there is a grey area in this example too, and skill rolls are a good way to deal with grey areas in some cases.

jasper

Rotten DM
Since being a monk requires living in a monkastary, lighting your own gas as entertainment hardens you to certain spells.

Remove ads