Diaglo - to bring a tear to your eye

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
I found a copy of near mint condition S1 Tomb of Horrors (the illustration portion was still stapled in) along with X1 & X2 for $7.50 each at a used book store up here. You know all I need now is a hard copy of the 1e PHB & DMG and just have a flashback night. I have PDF's of them, but it's just not the same. I know my collection will not rival yours, wife won't allow that to happen, but I like my little finds when I can get them.

Bill

Crothian

First Post
1e PHB and DMGs are easy to find I thought. I see them all the time in used bookstores here. I have a few copies of each I think as I pick them up when they are cheap.

Good find on the modules though

Simplicity

Explorer
I gotta say, one of the best websites I've found recently is AbeBooks.com

Tomb of Horrors, $12.95 :
http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=402776472

In Search of the Unknown, $7.95 :
http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=417626178

Against the Giants (G1-G3), $8.95 :
http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=75923538

I haven't missed on a used book search yet... The site is crazy that way.
I picked myself up a copy of Steve Jackson's Sorcery! series for old times sake. :)

warlord

First Post
Does anyone else think its sad how ant-previous editions people have become? Everytime I try to get a group to play either 1st or 2nd Edition I get yelled at or tossed out.

rogueattorney

Adventurer
warlord said:
Does anyone else think its sad how ant-previous editions people have become? Everytime I try to get a group to play either 1st or 2nd Edition I get yelled at or tossed out.

The "If it's not shiny and new it SUCKS" contingent has always been prominant in this hobby. Unfortunate, but true. Check out this site, if you haven't before: http://www.dragonsfoot.org/

R.A.

Zappo

Explorer
warlord said:
I agree. And I say this as a 3E fanatic. I'd decline a 1e/2e game - but politely. I enjoy discussing past editions, because I like wrapping my mind around other people's points of view, but I find it weird that people actually get angry about it.

Shadowdancer

First Post
warlord said:

Contrast with Traveller, in which the old grognards and gearheads get angry about the newer editions, and criticize those who play them. :confused:

rogueattorney

Adventurer
Shadowdancer said:
Contrast with Traveller, in which the old grognards and gearheads get angry about the newer editions, and criticize those who play them. :confused:

Trav is in the wierd situation where the original version of the game might actually be more easily available and popular than the newer versions.

And it's not all bad with D&D. It's been around long enough that among some the older stuff now has a cache like Led Zeppelin or the Hammer horror flicks. Enough companies (Kenzer, Troll Lords, Necromancer, Goodman) cater to the old school, that there's some 'noise' to get some newbies interested in the classics.

R.A.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
warlord said:

Yup. I'd KILL for a good 1e group to join locally.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
warlord said:
I wouldn't be rude to you, but my answer would still be "No dice."

diaglo

Adventurer
TheYeti1775 said:
I found a copy of near mint condition S1 Tomb of Horrors (the illustration portion was still stapled in) along with X1 & X2 for $7.50 each at a used book store up here. You know all I need now is a hard copy of the 1e PHB & DMG and just have a flashback night. I have PDF's of them, but it's just not the same. I know my collection will not rival yours, wife won't allow that to happen, but I like my little finds when I can get them.

Bill

great find there.

what's your email address or snail mail addy?

i think i have a good 1edADnD PHB & DMG handy.

It's pretty easy to get a 1e PHB & DMG, I just picked up a copy of each at Gen Con for $10 apiece.

Now, I couldn't see myself playing in a 1e game under normal circumstances, and defnitely not running one, but I find it fascinatng for the historic/research value of seeing where our game has come from, the way things used to be done, and when certain things were added (or removed) from the game.

One thing I saw there that would really bring a tear to Diaglo's eye would be the fact I saw somebody buy an original copy of the original 1974 version he cherishes, and paid $150 for it. Dunno if he wanted it to play, or for library purposes, but I know that was the first time my eyes ever caught sight of those little booklets.

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
I already have B2 Keep on the Borderlands as well.
Picked that up with a bunch from a guy selling a bunch of 1e modules (about 12 of them) for $25 bucks.

Diaglo - my email is culpwr @ hqmc.usmc.mil

Don't worry about sending any to me, I can always just check this used book store. She gets them in every now and then, and she will hold it for me if I ask her too.

I started a converted to 3.5 TOEE for 2 of my friends, they are loving it so far. 2 PC's each, and 2 NPC's.

Aaron L

Hero
Ive got a very nice copy of S3 Expedition to the Barrier Peaks sitting right here beside me that I'd be MORE than willing to run or (better yet) play in a 1E game :) Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun is here somewhere...

Sammael

Adventurer
warlord said:
I tried both running and playing in a 2e game after 3e came out. Couldn't do either. For running, the mechanics were too clunky and I had to make too many ad-hoc rulings. For playing, it took me four hours to make a character, and I ended up using 12 or 13 books for it. And he was a 3rd level character! Dwarf fighter/thief, with 95% open locks and 95% find traps... at 3rd level. Sigh.

Ranes

Adventurer
I'm a 3e fan, no question. That didn't stop me picking up near mint copies of 1e's PHB, DMG, MM and D&DG recently for between £2-4 each. The print smelled new, as the undamaged spines cracked open. Not that interested in going back to 1e (although I guess I'd play a one-off or short campaign if I could find the right people to play with) but I wanted good, unmarked, replacement copies of books I'd lost a long time ago. I already had a first print run PHB but it looks like it has just made a save against (3.5) disintegration.

I would have loved to get the first print run OD&D boxed set that was on eBay last week but I don't have a spare £1000+ to throw at such a thing, at the moment.:(

So, congratulations on your find, Bill. If there was a green-with-envy emoticon, I'd use it right about now.

An Advertisement

Advertisement4