Dice and Odds

Baron Opal

First Post
Respectively: 35 in 36, 30 in 36, 21 in 36, 10 in 36, and 3 in 36.

Okay, so that means:

3+: 97%
5+: 87%
7+: 58%
9+: 28%
11+: 8%

One of the things that I'm messing with is making a bard class for B/X using the AD&D one as a starting point. Rather than have a charm % skill I was thinking of using a variant of the clerical turning subsystem as a charm subsystem. The level of the bard and the HD of the target are cross referenced on a grid and you learn your target # on 2d6. At base, you improve reaction. Higher results lead to charm effects. If you get a charm result, they fail their save and you have further opportunity to talk to them you can plant a suggestion.

Keep me updated on the project, Baron Opal. I'm in the process of compiling a book of alternate spellcasting classes for Moldvay Basic/Expert and/or Labyrinth Lord.

Baron Opal

First Post
And you arrived at this decision based on the widespread popularity and facile mastery of the turn undead subsystem...?

Indeed. It's gratifying that others appreciate my foresight.

Also, it is a simple, direct system that compares the level of a PC with the level of a target. Since I am going to use a simple d6 + stat mod for skill rolls, I wanted to use the 2d6 + mod for more complex situations where a bell curve distribution may be useful. The clerical turning system does such, including taking into account automatic successes when the cleric is significantly stronger than the undead targeted. A 6th level bard should be capable of rousing the rabble fairly easily while still having to concentrate on getting the minotaur to not eat him. Since my brain understands percentages much easier than the 2d6 bell curve I asked for that information.

After the bard converses with the subject for a turn, roll 2d6.

X: Target saves vs. charm.
X+4: Bard may plant a suggestion or target is effected as per charm monster.
X-2: Monster's reaction at least improves favorably by one step.
T: 2d6 HD must save vs. charm.
D: 2d6 HD are charmed and must save vs. suggestion.

Or something like that. The problem with the % abilities is that they are either useless now or overly useful at a higher level you may never see. With the undead turning chart scaling for character and encounter level is already built in.

Baron Opal

First Post
I'm in the process of compiling a book of alternate spellcasting classes for Moldvay Basic/Expert and/or Labyrinth Lord.

I'm also working on an alternate monk / mystic. My theme is "les Yue Fei, more Bannor". After I'm done I hope to have six solid classes that showcase each attribute.

Strength : Fighter
Intelligence : Magic-User
Wisdom : Cleric
Dexterity : Thief
Constitution : Mystic
Charisma : Bard

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
And you arrived at this decision based on the widespread popularity and facile mastery of the turn undead subsystem...?
Turn undead has a trivial mechanic in OD&D... just roll 2 dice and do a table look-up. I know that nowadays looking at a table is considered the antithesis of weal, but it isn't really difficult... ;)

Remove ads