• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dice are Cool

Scribble

First Post
I like a few other game systems outisde of D20... (and previous D&D incarnations...)

Like, for instance GURPS. I like GURPS, and think it's a pretty good design. But what eventually draws me back to d20 is the dice. 3d6 (the GURPS method) just gets boring after a while.

I gots me a bag full o' neat lookin dice an I wanna use em!

My dice bag looks so sad when it sits there unussed after I pull out only 3d6.

Anyone else feel this way?

Gargoyle

Adventurer
The thing that draws me back to d20 is that my friends know how to play already and don't want to spend the time to learn any other system. But I like all the dice too. Except for the d4.

I don't like d4's. If we could get rid of d4's I'd be just fine with that. They roll terrible and my children seem to like to leave them like caltrops on my kitchen floor.

mattcolville

Adventurer
When I was at Last Unicorn (WotC, Decipher), every time we started a new RPG the boss would insist on using nothing but D6's for resolution. His rationale; "everyone has D6's. If you parents want to play our game, they can raid their Monopoly set and have the dice they need."

This struck me as absurd then, and I stick by that. A: your parent's aren't going to play this game regardless of the dice it uses. B: everyone who WILL play the game or MIGHT play the game has easy access to the full range of polyhedrals. C: the normal set of dice are fun to play with. Designers should never underestimate that.

Tuzenbach

First Post
Gargoyle said:
I don't like d4's. If we could get rid of d4's I'd be just fine with that. They roll terrible and my children seem to like to leave them like caltrops on my kitchen floor.

Well, not ALL d4's are pyramidal in shape. Over at crystalcaste.com, there are some d4's that are in the shape of rectangles. These shouldn't inflict any damage to your feet!

Also, I'm actually in the process of inventing new and unique shapes of dice. I've got about 4-5 different configurations for the d4 which, I can assure you, will do no harm to your feet. :p

Scribble

First Post
Tuzenbach said:
Also, I'm actually in the process of inventing new and unique shapes of dice. I've got about 4-5 different configurations for the d4 which, I can assure you, will do no harm to your feet. :p

I'm picturing a mad scientist (like the guy in the simpsons) sitting in a basement obsessed with reconfiguring the d4...

Pbartender

First Post
Scribble said:
I'm picturing a mad scientist (like the guy in the simpsons) sitting in a basement obsessed with reconfiguring the d4...

Just take a d12 and number it 1 through 4 three times... the same way they make d3s and d2s out of six-siders.

Tuzenbach

First Post
Pbartender said:
Just take a d12 and number it 1 through 4 three times... the same way they make d3s and d2s out of six-siders.
Actually, if you go to Gamescience.com (which may now be relocated to Gamestation.com), you'll find a d8 which simply has 1-4 twice.

Tuzenbach

First Post
Scribble said:
Fairly accurate, although it's not just the d4 which I've designed alternative shapes for, but ALL dice associated with RPGs. And let me tell you, the more facetted they are (d12's, d20's, etc.), the harder they are to conceptualize!

I'm going to eventually have 3d computer schematics of my clay & paper models created, purchase patents, invest in steel & titanium molds, and be the Dice Lord of the RPG industry.

Think I'm crazy? Only time will tell!

Scribble

First Post
Tuzenbach said:
Fairly accurate, although it's not just the d4 which I've designed alternative shapes for, but ALL dice associated with RPGs. And let me tell you, the more facetted they are (d12's, d20's, etc.), the harder they are to conceptualize!

I'm going to eventually have 3d computer schematics of my clay & paper models created, purchase patents, invest in steel & titanium molds, and be the Dice Lord of the RPG industry.

Think I'm crazy? Only time will tell!

Oyeeee with the dice and the titanium and flavin!!!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads