Dice Questions?

Kevin Cook

Explorer
If you mean, 'where it came from' as in 'who invented them?' it was Lou Zocchi. His company, GameScience, makes funny dice still if you need some.

He did? ... I have been collecting GS dice since 1977 and I never had a d30 ... Would you please show me an example?

The first d30 I ever purchased was in about 1981 and was Armory

I apologize if this sounds condescending ... I do not mean it to be ... I just want to be accurate with my dice history

As to games that use it ... In addition to DCC ... I believe that BUTTON MEN (Button Men) use all denominations of dice

turnip_farmer

Adventurer
He did? ... I have been collecting GS dice since 1977 and I never had a d30 ... Would you please show me an example?

The first d30 I ever purchased was in about 1981 and was Armory

I apologize if this sounds condescending ... I do not mean it to be ... I just want to be accurate with my dice history

As to games that use it ... In addition to DCC ... I believe that BUTTON MEN (Button Men) use all denominations of dice

Not at all condescending, it appears I'm wrong.

I had read that Zocchi invented the 'funny dice' that they use in DCC. But I just looked it up and the Zocchi set is not the full DCC chain, as it does not include a d7 or a d30 (it's a d3, d5, d14, d16 and d24).

Kevin Cook

Explorer
Not at all condescending, it appears I'm wrong.

I had read that Zocchi invented the 'funny dice' that they use in DCC. But I just looked it up and the Zocchi set is not the full DCC chain, as it does not include a d7 or a d30 (it's a d3, d5, d14, d16 and d24).

Thank you ...

As to the DCC sets being designed by Lou (Zocchi) ... it is my understanding that Gamescience was considered for making the DCC sets ... but I know that Impact was used to do so in the end ... and that the designer was Shapeways artist McTrivla

Kevin Cook

Explorer
If you are not interested in new or rare dice that were added to the worlds largest collection of dice this month ... Please ignore this post

Click on the the slideshow above to see highlights of dice added in SEPTEMBER 2021

diceinfo_divider.png

World Map of Dice Collectors and Points of Interest

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I have a dice question that has proven to be beyond my back-of-napkin math skills. The base is a 2d6 advantage roll, so roll 3d6 and pick the two highest. That part I'm fine with, but what I want to do is a a push/stress widget to allow advantage, wherein you would roll your two normal (white) d6s and add one black d6. You still pick the two highest for success, but if the black is highest there is also some additional badness coming your way. I can't figure out what the actual chances of the black die being highest are (not tied for highest mind, but actually highest). My intuition says it's not far off 1 in 3, but I've learned not to trust my intuition when it comes to stats. :D

I have a dice question that has proven to be beyond my back-of-napkin math skills. The base is a 2d6 advantage roll, so roll 3d6 and pick the two highest. That part I'm fine with, but what I want to do is a a push/stress widget to allow advantage, wherein you would roll your two normal (white) d6s and add one black d6. You still pick the two highest for success, but if the black is highest there is also some additional badness coming your way. I can't figure out what the actual chances of the black die being highest are (not tied for highest mind, but actually highest). My intuition says it's not far off 1 in 3, but I've learned not to trust my intuition when it comes to stats. :D
It's 55 out of 216 or 25.463%.

Kevin Cook

Explorer
If you are not interested in new or rare dice that were added to the worlds largest collection of dice this month ... Please ignore this post

Click on the the slideshow above to see highlights of dice added in OCTOBER 2021

diceinfo_divider.png

World Map of Dice Collectors and Points of Interest

Remove ads