• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Die Rolls or Point-Buy

Do you use Die Rolls or Point-Buy for stats?

• Die Rolls

Votes: 94 33.0%
  • Point Buy, as per the DMG

Votes: 118 41.4%
  • Point Buy, custom

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • Both! Let's hear how.

Votes: 28 9.8%
  • Neither! Let's hear from you,too.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Other. I have some weird way of doing stats that I'll tell you about below.

Votes: 9 3.2%

Holy Bovine

First Post
I recently started a mini Dragonstar/Traveller campaign and used a new method for rolling up characters (everyone wanted to throw dice for a change).

Roll 3d6 in 3 sets of 6 numbers. Arrange to taste. Then roll 2d6 and use these as bonus points to boost any stats you wish (max 18).

Everyone ended up with quite good characters (ie and average of +5 total bonus) but noone was way in advance of anyone else.

I liked it and I like rolling up characters although point buy is much faster (and I use it for NPCs ranging from 15 to 28 depending on the importance of the NPC).

Sagan Darkside

First Post
Salutations,

I found this suggested on some website, but I can't recall where- so I apologize for not being able to give due credit.

IMC the following point buy system is used:

Chose one of the following options:
>
>· 40 points to start with no bonus feat at first level.
>
>· 36 points to start with one bonus feat at first level (standard).
>
>· 32 points to start with two bonus feats at first level.
>
>· 28 points to start with three bonus feats at first level.

It has worked out so far- and still keeps the characters in the same ballpark of starting power level.

SD

Arnwyn

First Post
3d6 six times, arrange, then 2d4 bonus points to be allocated however the player likes (up to a maximum of 18).

Our group is older (mid-late 20s) so there are no whiny brats. Variation is expected and welcome!

Tiberius

Explorer
Typically I do point buy, but for the new campaign I'm starting in a couple of weeks I'm using the standard array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8) for all the PCs. IMO, 6! combinations of stats alone is enough variety for anyone, especially when coupled with the fact that the power level is reasonable.

-Tiberius

KnowTheToe

First Post
My favorite variant method I have seen posted on the boards is giving the PCs a low number of points for a point buy and then give the player extra points for creating a character history, giving a p[oint or two for every aspect of the history they provide or expound on. The person who posted it had a nice list of examples. He/she also gave a point for bringing a mini, creating a picture etc.

A very good way to nicely strong arm all of the players into creating the neccessary background for the DM to intertwine characters into a plot and create personal hooks and sub plots throughout the game.

Agnostic Paladin

First Post
Rolling is fun, but playing a game where another player's character has every single stat higher than yours does can leave a bitter taste in one's mouth. My games are 32 point buys because I want the characters to not get overshadowed by each other, but still smack the enemies' heads in.

Last edited:

Sixchan

First Post
Gothmog said:
I use a weird way that seems to work really well. First, I have each player roll one set of ability scores using 4d6, drop lowest until we have 6 sets of scores. Then, I form a 6x6 grid of the scores, example shown below.

12 16 08 14 13 15
10 11 17 08 12 14
16 13 15 10 11 10
11 08 18 13 15 09
14 10 09 15 16 13
15 11 10 16 13 10

Then, each player can choose one row, column, or continuous set of six scores from the matrix, in any orientation (top to bottom, bottom to top, left to right, right to left) and place them in order on his character sheet. Usually this works really well- it gives the player some choice in his scores without being as nit-picky as point buy, but can also end up with some character with high or low scores in unusual stats given their class. Give it a try, it works pretty well.

Wow! That's a great idea! Consider it stolen. ;)

mkarol

First Post
24d6

1) 24d6, drop lowest 6... arrange as necessary.

2) 5d6 x 6, drop lowest 2: powergame. (4d6 = 19, 5d6=20) yeah, we never got over Dark Sun.

3) 4d6 x 6, Carry '6' over to next round if not used.

kenjib

First Post
organic point buy

- roll six ability scores in order using straight 3d6

- swap one pair of scores

- calculate the point value as per the DMG (scores 8 or lower are all worth 0 points when calculating this total)

- if the character's stats are worth 21 or more, he gets 4 additional points to spend

- if the character's stats are worth less than 21, he gets the difference between his value and 25 to spend (ie a 18 point character gets 7 points to spend).

- points for abilties below 8 are bought on a one-for-one basis (this clarification is because the chart in the DMG only goes down to 8 minimum)

This system creates a combination of nature and nurture in a character, combining the balance benefits of point buy while fixing the problem that point buy often ends up in very cookie cutter type characters all with very similar stats per class. You end up with characters that are sufficiently effective, but still have quirky stats from time to time (such as a charismatic fighter, or wizard with high wisdom).

If you want higher stats you can scale the system upwards. For example:

- Roll using 4d6 drop lowest in order instead of 3d6

- If the character has 32 or higher total, they get 4 points to spend

- If the character has less than 32, they get the difference between 36 and their current total (ie a 25 point character gets 11 points).

Last edited:

jester47

First Post
Another way I discovered was rolling 2d6+6 for each stat. That allows the players somthing 8+ and is mostly equivalent with a moderate point buy.

smetzger and gothmog, those are both the most original ways to roll I have ever seen. LETS COMBINE THEM! Muaahahaha! (Does Jeremy Irons D&D Laugh)

When players have chosen their column row or whatever, they then do scotts balanceing tricks.

This should get you a pretty balanced party. Or a party with very similar stats.

Aaron.

Remove ads