Die Vecna, Die!

Xar

First Post
Did anyone allready convert this module? I am planning to use it in my campaign soon, as it is still one of the more epic 2nd edition adventures available. I still don't know if my party is up to it, thought, as they are only 11-12th level (5 party members and 9th level NPC). The module is written for levels 10-13, but 3rd edition has lotsa changes in high-level playstyle. I really want to give them a challenge, but a total-party kill would be too much. There are some thought encounters (like 10 10th level fighters), and it wouldn't be too heroic if they had to rest after every one. Also, a huge amount of magic gear is given away and I don't know if they are allready up to some rings of spell turning and minor artifacts. We don't want to stop with the campaign after the adventure is over, and all that stuff could be quite disrupting. So, did anyone allready played DvD in 3rd edition? Do you have any suggestions?

jester47

First Post
I have not played it in 3E. However I have toyed with a conversion. Most of the monsters are in the monster manual or they can easily be improvised. I figure that the MM2 will have many of the undead listed. I would use the Skeleton and Zombie Templates that were published on the wizards web page.

SPOILER

Personally, I would cut out the part about Sigil. The adventure runs just fine with Vecna obtaining Godhood and Iuz being half drained by Vecna (remaining a demigod). Just have him burn a bit and then find a way back to the world of Greyhawk. Vecna simply escapes Ravenloft and starts a career as the god listed in the PHB.

Xar

First Post
SPOILERS

Ah, but the part in Sigil is absolutely one of the best parts of the adventure. Not only can they try to slay an Avatar, but also have a nice chat with the Lady of Pain. I just wanna see my players faces when that happens... Oh, my god, she spotted us, we are all doomed... I don't care that some of the PS-rules got broken, after all it is the planes and even weirder things can happen there.

Oh, and I am running it from the FR, not from GH. It is Xvim who is trying to absorb Vecna's power to become a greater god, as he can't do stuff like that in the FR as Ao prohibits it. But some other god learned of this plan and wants the hero's to stop Xvim. At the end, when Xvim escapes Vecna's clutches he still could steal some of his power, and has now changed into one of his other aspects, Bane. A nice explanation to shift the campaign to the 3rd edition FR.

Last edited:

jester47

First Post
My idea of how to run it is very much based on the idea of keeping the multiverse intact. Anyone can do whatever they want. Just if you dont want to blow up the world then hey, here is a way to do it.

Aaron.

Remove ads