• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Diety-unique Clerics

Woas

First Post
Hi everyone. I was musing over the idea earlier today that when boiled down, a cleric of any deity is in essence the same. Using a generic pantheon for example, why would a cleric of Pelor have the same saves, weapon and armor proficiencies, hit points, skills, spells and unique abilities than say a cleric of Corellon Larethian or cleric of Obad-Hai has? It seemed odd to me after thinking about it even though I have seen clerics of a number of different deities but never gave it any thought.

Now I realize that clerics of different deities do get slightly different abilities via the domains they are open to take. And that is a start but what I am thinking of is on a fundamental level of the cleric class. A cleric of Hextor I could see wearing heavy armor and wielding a martial weapon while calling down spells of damage. But what about a cleric of Olidammara? Now granted I've never seen someone play a cleric of Olidammara (or even an NPC) but I've always thought the idea of playing a cleric of "Lady Luck" would be interesting. But I would not find it appropriate for that kind of cleric to be wearing heavy armor and shield, a mace and be calling down holy firestorms. Yet it would seem to me at least that I would be shooting my character in his own foot (and only giving half effort to the party) to choose sub-optimal equipment and spells just in the name to role-play such a character.

Traveling down the road of my musing I came to the conclusion that it would be interesting to just say that a cleric of Obad-Hai = the druid class. Or that a cleric of Boccob = the sorcerer class. But in the end I felt that was too drastic of a change. But think it would make for an interesting house rule at best.

Which led me to my next thought. I wondered if it would be possible to construct a relatively painless way to create a unique cleric for each deity in a game. Creating a separate cleric class for each deity would be too much paper work and time and thus something I would want to avoid. The next best thing and probably my best and only plausible idea would be to make a 'base' cleric class much weaker than the current one (start at a d4 hit die, no or just light armor proficiencies, and so forth) and create a template for the needed deities that would adjust BAB, saves, proficiencies and so forth. But even that seems time consuming and about as much work as creating a unique cleric class for each deity in itself.

So I was wondering if anyone has ever tried this before? I'm a big fan of Arcana Evolved and naturally thought of something like how the Totem Warrior class works if you are familiar with it. And also wondered if by some strange occurrence that a miscellaneous .pdf or other source book may have covered this (I own Complete Divine although I try not to admit it. Never got the second one, Complete Champion was it?) already that I should look to? Does anyone have other suggestions on making this quick and easy or just other thoughts on it in general?

Aus_Snow

First Post
Hm. Yes, it does sound like a lot of work. I don't know if I'd be quite so masochistic. Mind you, seeing that house rules *tome* of mine nearby. . . maybe. :D

Something that springs to mind is that Dragon magazine 'Class Acts' section (for Clerics) - I think it was in #353. 'No Turning' was its title, which kinda gives away the general idea.

Unless you see turning/rebuking (and possibly Divine feats) as essential to all - or even most - Clerics, it's worth a look, I think.

With something like that, and with domains, there is a lot of room for customisation.

Gansk

Explorer
I would focus on the spells. Select a list of base spells that all clerics get. Then use the domain spells to round out a cleric's portfolio. Then use the UA rules for spontaneous divine spellcasting to limit the spells known by each cleric.

For example, Pelor's domains are Good, Healing, Strength, and Sun. A 1st level cleric can know 2 1st level spells plus his two domain spells. His choices at 1st level would be Prot/Evil, Cure Light Wounds, Enlarge Person, Endure Elements and the base list. If you exclude all the domain spells from the base list, then a cleric of Hextor could never cast the four specific spells associated with Pelor. His list would include Inflict Light Wounds, Prot/Good, Prot/Chaos, and Magic Weapon instead.

To give the clerics even more flavor, expand the number of domains for each God from four to six.

This is an idea borrowed from the spheres concept presented in 2e. I am just turning each domain into a sphere of influence. Each cleric has its own flavor based on the god he or she worships.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Yeah, 'spheres' are a good way of going about it, too. Actually, there was a '3e spheres' PDF published by Lion's Den Press (er, I think. . . ?) and written by one of the current 4e contributors, I believe.

The Cliostered Cleric is another place to start some modding from, perhaps combined with some 'No Turning' options, and sphere- and/or domain-based variations.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Well, I guess I can't really help because I went the route of a different class for specialty priest basing it on 2E priests, which I loved - but hopefully slightly more balanced. These also replace the Druid class.

But all my rules are posted on the Aquerra wiki:

Priest Characters (There are links to the various kinds of priests at the bottom of this page)

Each even has its own spell list and I got rid of domain powers replacing them with powers specific to the priesthood. I also got rid of spontaneous casting for healing spells. For some priests they can spontaneous cast for spells from their primary domain, but others have this replaced by other powers.

Some examples:
Priests of Ra
Priestesses of Isis
Priests of Itzik (Gnomish God of Illusion & Thievery)
Priests of Aranris El-Macil (First Among Elves)

One of the common things I did for these was to use the turn undead mechanic to "fuel" a variety of powers, sometimes in addition to turning undead, but often replacing it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I must say that one of the things I think 2Ed definitely handled better than 3.X was clerics of specific deities.

I'm glad to see someone did some HR-ing on this- I haven't the time to examine them at this point, but thanks in advance, el-remmen!

Folly

First Post
I have always found the cleric class pretty flexible to fit most divine ideas that I have. Remember that just because a class gives access to heavy armor does not mean it is the best option in all cases. Most clerics of Olidammara that I have seen do use light armors. They do this by having a high dex and having a non-tweaked wisdom. Then to back up that decision they use buffing and no-save spells to mitigate the lower DCs. At that point you have only lost a few spells but gain a lot in the way of stealth.

Jack Simth

First Post
Let's see ... if I wanted to do it from scratch.....

Step 1: Strip the current cleric down to little more than a spell platform - d4 HD, good Will save, spells, 2+Int skill points per level, 1/2 BAB. Basically, remove the good Fort save, armor and shield proficiencies, spontaneous cure/inflict and Turn/Rebuke undead; drop the HD down two sizes, drop to poorest BAB. Leave domains as they are - they work from the flavor perspective.

Then we give the cleric player a few "points" for designing the class back up - say, ten points.
Good Fort: 2 points
Good Reflex: 2 points
3/4's BAB: 2 points
Full BAB: 4 points
Light Armor: 1 point
Medium Armor: 2 points (includes Light armor and shields)
Heavy Armor: 3 points (includes light and medium and shields)
d6 HD: 1 point
d8 HD: 2 points
d10 HD: 3 points
d12 HD: 4 points
Spontaneous Cure/Inflict: 1 point
Turning/Rebuking: 1 point
4+Int/Level skill points: 1 point (also add two class skills to the current list)
6+Int/Level skill points: 2 point (also add four class skills to the current list)
8+Int/Level skill points: 3 point (also add six class skills to the current list)

Now, you can't build the current cleric on that set from that starting point - the current Cleric costs 11 points. But you could make a warrior priest (d10 HD, Heavy Armor, 3/4 BAB, Good Fort), or a roguish priest (d6 HD, 3/4 BAB, light armor, good Reflex, spontaneous Cure/Inflict, and 8 skill points per level) by the same rules. Of course, my point system is probably waaaay off...

GlassEye

Adventurer
Aus_Snow said:
Yeah, 'spheres' are a good way of going about it, too. Actually, there was a '3e spheres' PDF published by Lion's Den Press (er, I think. . . ?) and written by one of the current 4e contributors, I believe.

Yep. Classes of Legend: Priests of Celestial Spheres Briefly, turns domains into spheres for a more customized cleric. It's a very good product. Couple that with some of the newer works revitalizing clerics (Book of Experimental Might and Pathfinder come to mind) and they could become distinct from one another again instead of the same cookie-cutter cleric with a different color of icing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads