• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Differences between 1st & 2nd Edition?

rogueattorney

Adventurer
When I read 3e fans complain about the changes in 3.5e, it reminds me of me (a 1e fan) and my complaints about 2e. For every change that could be argued is a good, there seem to be two changes that came from nowhere.

I think the change from 1e>2e was more significant than that of the 3e>3.5e change (for example, 3.5 had all the same core classes and races that 3e had). However, it certainly wasn't as big a change as 2e>3e.

Scanned the thread, and I don't think anyone has mentioned this -- between 1st and 2nd, the eliminated the weapon vs. armor table. Of course, since absolutely no one I played with ever used it in the first place, maybe it doesn't count. :D

The_Gneech said:
I played one! The Dragon magazine variant bard, actually ("A Different Bard, Not Quite So Hard"). He was a fun character. :) Mechanically, I can't remember if he was any good or not, tho, because everybody at the table was playing by a different ruleset.

-The Gneech :cool:
I LOVED that article - "um, where did you learn about Sherman tanks?"

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Readerbreeder said:
Scanned the thread, and I don't think anyone has mentioned this -- between 1st and 2nd, the eliminated the weapon vs. armor table. Of course, since absolutely no one I played with ever used it in the first place, maybe it doesn't count. :D
In actuality, it wasn't entirely removed. It was instead relegated to being an optional rule in the DMG, and stripped down to being a list of to hit modifiers against armour based upon weapon type (slashing, piercing or bludgeoning.) See Table 36 in the black cover 2e DMG (not sure if it's also Table 36 in the original 2e DMG, as my copy fell apart, like most of my 2e books...)

Oh, and we played with the weapons vs. armour tables in 1e. Briefly :confused:.

Mark Hope said:
In actuality, it wasn't entirely removed. It was instead relegated to being an optional rule in the DMG, and stripped down to being a list of to hit modifiers against armour based upon weapon type (slashing, piercing or bludgeoning.) See Table 36 in the black cover 2e DMG (not sure if it's also Table 36 in the original 2e DMG, as my copy fell apart, like most of my 2e books...)

Oh, and we played with the weapons vs. armour tables in 1e. Briefly :confused:.

I don't have my 1e/2e books handy, but you're certainly right -- thanks for the correction. That's one reason I have struggled with 3e at times -- I don't have enough of a head for detail. Though at one time (before family, college and real life pushed all the important stuff out of my head) I know I had most of the 1e DMG memorized. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads