• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Different player types hogging the spotlight?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
pawsplay said:
Hm, sounds like you're accusing him of badwrongfun.
I'm accusing him of being a dick. When his fun prevents fun for the rest of the group, sorry, but he's in the wrong.

If that steps on the delicate sensibilities of some folks, maybe a group activity isn't the best hobby for them.

Rothe

First Post
World-oriented consequences is all I can say about wanton killing.

Regarding talking to the known BBEG, are you relying on the BBEG getting to monologue? If so that's a bit much to ask of the players, how do they know this is not there only chance? Also what BBEG relies upn the PCs listening to his monologue? It sounds like he is totally unprepared for someone who might just jump him.

On getting "attack on sight players" to role play/care about information, use reasonable world-oriented situations, that is, most combat success comes through superior intelligence on the enemy, not bash door and swing. If all encounters can be overcome with charge and slash without thinking then they are too low a CR/EL.

Finally, where are the other players in this. When he says he's casting a spell you know someone could just interrupt him.

In the end, you probably have a play style difference. Talk to the other players see what they want.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
When I encountered this (years ago now) with my group I just sat down with everyone and explained what sort of game I was interested in and asked for a bit of time for my style of play. Even as DM I considered myself a player and in need of a bit of fun myself.

I also used several of the other methods suggested here: in game consequences for murderous psychopaths. I also gave XP rewards for roleplaying (back in the 1E days!!)

After a while we settled into a style of play that everyone was happy with.

sniffles

First Post
Oryan77 said:
Yeah I'm sure because she's my wife and for many sessions now she has been slumping at the table in boredom because the current adventure has been very hack-n-slashy. When the BBEG started talking to them she perked up real fast and went right into asking him a question. I could tell she was ready to get her roleplay on. But that was when the other player announced again that he goes for an attack and I had everyone roll initiative.

She's a casual gamer because she doesn't read the books, barely keeps up with her character abilities, but she likes to hang out with everyone and play the game. She doesn't mind combat but she would be fine without combat for an entire session. What she likes out of D&D is the roleplaying part of the game.
Ah, that makes things clearer.

Then it does sound like you need to talk to the powergamer about his rushing into combat and his bulldozing over everyone else's actions. You might need to talk to all the players about this.

If they're just following his lead then everyone needs to be reminded that roleplaying is a cooperative activity, and the group is not just a bunch of followers trailing the "main character" around.

pawsplay

Hero
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I'm accusing him of being a dick. When his fun prevents fun for the rest of the group, sorry, but he's in the wrong.

If that steps on the delicate sensibilities of some folks, maybe a group activity isn't the best hobby for them.

So what if the fun of the rest of the group interferes with his fun? Isn't he entitled to have his interests addressed, too?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
pawsplay said:
So what if the fun of the rest of the group interferes with his fun? Isn't he entitled to have his interests addressed, too?
Re-read the original post in this thread. The only one who's getting their interests addressed is him. They either need to compromise (including rotating what sort of action is happening in each session, which is what the DMG2 suggests) or part ways.

One person unilaterally deciding what sort of game they're going to have is not someone behaving in a valid or appropriate way. If they're older than 2 years old, they're an ass, plain and simple.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads