• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Different view of double-bladed swords

LightPhoenix

First Post
Well, I think that for the most part the double-bladed sword as shown in the PHB is pretty much ludicrous. So they way I've started invisioning it was like that weapon the Klingons used in Star Trek... Batleth or whatever they called it. The big crescent shaped blade thing that they held with two hands. This seems a lot more viable as a double bladed weapon.

Methinkus

First Post
I had the same reaction to that item – without the Klingon twist, but that at least sounds like it could work as a weapon – and I was wondering if there was ever any real world weapon that that is modeled after. It seems to me that it would be useful enough as a stabbing weapon but trying to slash at anyone effectively with it would be difficult at best. It would be far to easy to whirl it around like a staff and then you wouldn’t be able to take advantage of the sharper edges.

I guess I’m just saying that it looks like a cute idea but it just looks like it would be really awkward to actually use in combat.

Maybe I’m wrong though . . . . :cool:

MaxKaladin

First Post
IMC, the double sword is a weapon designed for and pretty much confined to the gladiatorial arena. Its one of a number of weapons used pretty much because the unwashed masses think they're 'kewl'. Practicality isn't much of an issue as all of the fights will be staged so that the wielder of such a weapon has a chance.

gamecat

Explorer
If I were to use such a weapon, I would examine Darth Maul's and Char Aznable's (when piloting the YMS-14 Gelgoog Commander Type) techniques, from Star Wars Episode I and Mobile Suit Gundam respectively.

Valmur_Dwur

First Post
NO "KEWL" WEAPONS ALLOWED in my world:p Sorry need more caffeine:D Truthfully I hate those double weapon; spiked chain thingies with a passion. And what NO Brigandine armor, what I think is "Kewl":cool:

Green Knight

First Post
Personally I like them, though what I don't get is how is it sheathed? Wouldn't you always have one blade sticking out where it can poke someone?

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
THAT, I can answer -- the scabbard has a second loose scabbard attached by a chain -- when the first blade is inserted into the main scabbard, the second scabbard is fitted around the top (sort of like a cap-on-a-chain going onto a thermos bottle...)

Xeriar

First Post
LightPhoenix said:
Well, I think that for the most part the double-bladed sword as shown in the PHB is pretty much ludicrous. So they way I've started invisioning it was like that weapon the Klingons used in Star Trek... Batleth or whatever they called it. The big crescent shaped blade thing that they held with two hands. This seems a lot more viable as a double bladed weapon.

There is a Chinese pole-arm called the yalu that's the closest thing I can think of. Think of a basterd sword with a four-foot handle and a butt-spike on the end (preferably with grip for lunging...)

Truely a marvelous weapon... As for the double-sword I'm not sure how you would fight with the blade on both sides. Going Darth Maul with it would wreck your wrists, so you need the extra handle space. Probably weilded blade-verticle in a ready stance.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads