• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Different view of double-bladed swords

Celebrim

Legend
The Darth Maul fight was carefully staged by fight coordinators to conceal the disadvantages of the double weapon. Eventually, even they opted to have the weapon cut down to a more managable size for the big finish. Having a lethally sharp blade at both ends of your weapon greatly reduces the available manuevers you can use to defend yourself or attack the enemy. Frame by frame analysis shows what appears to be 'Darth Maul' hitting himself in the leg with one end during a parry. If he didn't in that take though, you can bet that he did in others that didn't make the final cut. A skilled swordsman could by striking your blade force the other end into you, which would be fairly bad if the blades were light sabers.

But, could someone explain to me how the Gnome Hook Hammer is wielded?

A detest the double weapons myself (other than obviously the quarterstaff), but if you must use them, at least give them 'increased fumble range' (fumble threat on 1-2) to reduce the cheese.

A double voulge might be a little more believable, doing dagger damage with each end rather than sword damage.

Last edited:

Zappo

Explorer
If I can shoot fireballs from my hands, using a double sword effectively doesn't seem any big deal.

Sorry, someone had to say it. :D :D ;)

hong

WotC's bitch
Celebrim said:
The Darth Maul fight was carefully staged by fight coordinators to conceal the disadvantages of the double weapon. Eventually, even they opted to have the weapon cut down to a more managable size for the big finish. Having a lethally sharp blade at both ends of your weapon greatly reduces the available manuevers you can use to defend yourself or attack the enemy. Frame by frame analysis shows what appears to be 'Darth Maul' hitting himself in the leg with one end during a parry.

Frame by frame analysis is nothing if not a clear violation of Hong's Third Law: thinking too hard about fantasy is bad.

jollyninja

First Post
i just think that double weapons should have the same penalties as two medium weapons for fighting with two weapons and be considered martial weapons. basically they are just a pumped up quarterstaff, so leave the q-staff as a simple weapon and the only one that wields with the penalties of a light off hand two weapon fighting style. that's my take on it, though i never have/will use one, they exist in the worlds i run/play in.

Oni

First Post
You know with all this talk about double weapons, everyone always complains about them citing the double sword and axe all the time. You never see anyone talk about the Dwarven Urgrosh, really it does look like a usable weapon, I can only imagine that it would be significantly easier to use than say....twin long swords.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads