• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dimension Door and Escape Artist

Darklone

So... knock them out, tie them up, blind them, gag them and put them into a barrel underwater, if they get out, they were halfling psions (happened once IMC).

green slime

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
So if you want to prevent a wizard DDing out of your grapple, the first thing you do is shove him up against a three hundred pound rock...

-Hyp.

?? That seems a bit expensive? You carry around diamonds to give away to wizards you want to grapple? And here was me thinking kiwis abandoned the pound for the dollar in '69...

In truth, I'm amazed at tenacity of the imperial system in the antipodes given when it was abandoned.

smetzger

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:
So if you want to prevent a wizard DDing out of your grapple, the first thing you do is shove him up against a three hundred pound rock...

I would say that wouldn't work. The spell description says "...You can bring along objects as long as their weight doesn’t exceed your maximum load...."

My reading of this would indicate that the DD works but you fail to bring the heavy stuff.

ARandomGod

First Post
smetzger said:
I would say that wouldn't work. The spell description says "...You can bring along objects as long as their weight doesn’t exceed your maximum load...."

My reading of this would indicate that the DD works but you fail to bring the heavy stuff.

Plus it says that you CAN bring them, not that you must or do. In fact, it's a great way for a wizard to get out of that armour that he foolishly donned this morning. (What was he THINKING?)

Otherwise those wouldn't just be potholes, they'd be massively HUGE potholes. And you'd arrive on a large hill, or in a big bang as the matter that you brought with you attempted to merge with the matter you're now standing on.

LokiDR

First Post
I have seen DD and teleport get very cheesy in their use for escaping grapple. I would prefer if they were not able to select the items that take with them. However, that is how the rules read.

This does let your lecherous character DD out their clothes for the shock value, though, and that is funny enough to be worth something. :)

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
My personal opinion is that they mean possessions and any other item you choose to bring along that you happen to touch or be touching.

The manacles, bindings, etc. are possessions in my book.

If you are manacled to the dungeon wall, I would say you keep the manacles and the wall stays behind.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Ridley's Cohort said:
My personal opinion is that they mean possessions and any other item you choose to bring along that you happen to touch or be touching.

The manacles, bindings, etc. are possessions in my book.
They're certainly not your possessions. And if anyone's possessions count for the purposes of the spell, well, the wall has to belong to somebody...

ARandomGod

First Post
Lord Pendragon said:
They're certainly not your possessions. And if anyone's possessions count for the purposes of the spell, well, the wall has to belong to somebody...

Trapped character:
"I hereby donate these manacles and this wall, which I have been informed are now my possesions, to the curch. May God in his mercy use them as He sees fit."

*Now* I deminsion door. Hey, they're not mine now, you heard me, I donated them to God!

ARandomGod

First Post
ARandomGod said:
Trapped character:
"I hereby donate these manacles and this wall, which I have been informed are now my possesions, to the curch. May God in his mercy use them as He sees fit."

*Now* I deminsion door. Hey, they're not mine now, you heard me, I donated them to God!

By the way GM, I want credit for tithing the GP value of those manacles, and the wall they were attached to, and the dungeon the wall was attached to, and the castle the dungeon was attached to, and the world the castle was attached to. What's the GP value of that work out as?

Remove ads