Dimension Door and Escape Artist

nute

Explorer
If a character with the dimension leap ability (or other use of a dimension door effect as a spell-like ability) were tied up, could they conceivably use their ability to just jump to another location and leave the ropes behind?

Using it to escape a grapple would more than likely provoke an attack of opportunity, but since inanimate objects like ropes have no such ability, that's not a factor. As well, the dimension door writeup says: You can bring objects along, blah blah blah. Says nothing about things like manacles or chains coming along automatically.

So would it be considered an automatically successful Escape Artist check?

Lord Pendragon

First Post
nute said:
So would it be considered an automatically successful Escape Artist check?
This is how I rule it, yes. Most Sor/Wiz's are going to want to keep a Dimension Door, or better, a Silent Dimension Door, on-hand to escape grapples, manacles, etc.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Lord Pendragon said:
This is how I rule it, yes. Most Sor/Wiz's are going to want to keep a Dimension Door, or better, a Silent Dimension Door, on-hand to escape grapples, manacles, etc.

A Sorcerer who tries to use a Silent Dimension Door to escape a grapple is going to have a slight problem.

-Hyp.

dcollins

Explorer
nute said:
If a character with the dimension leap ability (or other use of a dimension door effect as a spell-like ability) were tied up, could they conceivably use their ability to just jump to another location and leave the ropes behind?

Personally, I would rule "no", you bring everything on your person, period.

Frankly I don't see this "you can bring objects" language anywhere in the spell to indicate that there's any option in that regard. What I see is "Target: You and touched objects..." -- if you touch it, it comes.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
dcollins said:
Frankly I don't see this "you can bring objects" language anywhere in the spell to indicate that there's any option in that regard. What I see is "Target: You and touched objects..." -- if you touch it, it comes.

So if you want to prevent a wizard DDing out of your grapple, the first thing you do is shove him up against a three hundred pound rock...

-Hyp.

Remove ads