• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DINO-PIRATES: True20 In Action

ledded

Herder of monkies
Hmmm... Heapthaumaturgist has been talking some True20 smack in our group, and hearing this game really makes me want to give it a whirl even more. Sounds like a fun game, Barsoomcore, one that the pulp-lover in me would just enjoy to no ends.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
It was so much fun, I'm doing it again. July 8th, a game store here in Vancouver called Drexoll Games is holding an RPG day (they do this once a month) and I'll be running SLAVE QUEEN OF THE RUINED CITY once again. Updates to the rules, new PCs, improved all around.

More updates to come!

JPL

Adventurer
barsoomcore said:
It was so much fun, I'm doing it again. July 8th, a game store here in Vancouver called Drexoll Games is holding an RPG day (they do this once a month) and I'll be running SLAVE QUEEN OF THE RUINED CITY once again. Updates to the rules, new PCs, improved all around.

More updates to come!

Canada is on the cutting edge of RPG design.

This sounds awesome. Keep us posted, and gimmee a holler when you're ready to do INFINITE: True 20 Edition. ;)

buzz

Adventurer
barsoomcore said:
The game itself was hugely fun.
In an honest-to-gawd not-snarky way, I'd like to ask: how much of this fun was from you and the players and how much was from the system?

I had a chance to browse through Blue Rose (closest I've gotten to True20), and I honestly felt like the system was a little too simple for me. But I'm still curious becuase I like Kenson's work in general.

So, how much of the game was rolling dice, and how much was "just talk it out"?

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
buzz said:
How much of the game was rolling dice, and how much was "just talk it out"?
The dice rolling was definitely a big part of the fun. Toughness Saves are guaranteed dice drama, every time folks are crowding around in order to see what the results are, as well as the Fatigue saves for spellcasting.

The Damage Track makes for a very different combat experience. I noticed this in Gun-Fu playtests -- switching from hit point reduction (where you are watching a resource dwindle) to penalty accumulation (where you are watching problems increase) makes for a combat where everyone's ability is constantly shifting. People are losing actions regularly and so a given round can be VERY different from its predecessors. PCs also get knocked out rather than killed much more easily.

The Powers are much less narrowly defined than D&D spells, and again encouraging a more freewheeling style. That said, they do a good job of explaining typical in-game effects, easing the DM's job.

So yeah, I would say the rules went a long way to creating fun.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
UPDATE: The second playtest session went very well indeed, and I'm now polishing up the document so that I can get it playtested by somebody who doesn't already have it all in their head.

Anyone wants to volunteer, drop me a line and let's discuss. Reasonably serious inquiries only, please...

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
barsoomcore said:
The dice rolling was definitely a big part of the fun. Toughness Saves are guaranteed dice drama, every time folks are crowding around in order to see what the results are, as well as the Fatigue saves for spellcasting.

My group initially sort of balked at the Toughness save concept, but have really started getting into it. They often even take over the narrative from me when they make Toughness saves, describing what happens to their character as they make or fail or spend Conviction on their Toughness save. That realy helps, I've found, to get them more into the story and helps all around.

Remove ads