• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DINO-PIRATES: True20 In Action

Jack Morgan

First Post
barsoomcore said:
Anyone else got thoughts on this system?

I'm also using it for a pulp style game, and it rocks. Having never played M&M we were totally unprepared for the damage track thing, but we dig it now. As abstractions go i think it is much cooler than hit poits.
Like you, i wish the core book was a bit more solid and some of the explanations were handled a bit better. Stuff on world building, feat creation, areal/space combat would also be super useful.
One thing I really like is the conviction point system. The first session my players held onto them like they were gold (wgich they are in a way) but as things go on they have losened up considerably.
If they ever open up the liscense I'd like to write a sf setting book for it.

Nahat Anoj

First Post
barsoomcore said:
Anyone else got thoughts on this system?
I pretty much agree with everything you said in your post. It's a very solid, very fun system, but there are places (the damage/recover section and character sheet, mostly) that really needed some more TLC IMO. But for its warts (they are few, but feel significant), it's still one of my two games of choice (the other being M&M ...).

Raven Crowking

First Post
barsoomcore said:
UPDATE: The second playtest session went very well indeed, and I'm now polishing up the document so that I can get it playtested by somebody who doesn't already have it all in their head.

Anyone wants to volunteer, drop me a line and let's discuss. Reasonably serious inquiries only, please...

Consider this a serious inquiry. That sounds great.

RC

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
RC, I've replied to all the emails I received. Nobody identified themselves as "Raven Crowking" so if you haven't received a reply from me, please re-send your email.

barsoomcore at mac dot com.

Thanks!

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Hey folks, a little thread necromancy in the wake of GenCon07.

I ran three games of DINO-PIRATES at GenCon this year, and it was a total blast. SLAVE QUEEN OF THE RUINED CITY and MONKEY WARRIORS OF THE WALKING SWORD (twice) -- ninjas, pirates, dinosaurs, monkeys and robots, every time. So. Much. Fun.

But at this point I'm considering making some significant changes to the ruleset. I'm going to be incorporating a bunch of mechanics from the FATE system (aspects and chargen, mainly), adjusting the damage system (I think -- some tinkering required), and maybe going for a skill-based combat and experience system (I've seen fusangite's system in action and it's pretty cool). I'll be running a playtest campaign this fall/winter to toy with various ideas and see what works, what doesn't.

Anyway, DINO-PIRATES continues to roll along. Keep the faith, kids!

GlassJaw

Hero
barsoomcore said:
I ran three games of DINO-PIRATES at GenCon this year, and it was a total blast. SLAVE QUEEN OF THE RUINED CITY and MONKEY WARRIORS OF THE WALKING SWORD (twice) -- ninjas, pirates, dinosaurs, monkeys and robots, every time. So. Much. Fun.

One of these days I'll get to play in one of your games! I totally missed the boat at GenCon. :\

barsoomcore said:
But at this point I'm considering making some significant changes to the ruleset. I'm going to be incorporating a bunch of mechanics from the FATE system (aspects and chargen, mainly), adjusting the damage system (I think -- some tinkering required), and maybe going for a skill-based combat and experience system (I've seen fusangite's system in action and it's pretty cool). I'll be running a playtest campaign this fall/winter to toy with various ideas and see what works, what doesn't.

Have you ever thought of using Shadowrun? I've seriously considered it for a non-cyberpunk game but never got around to it. I did look into it and my evaluation was that it would work. The magic system (one of the major strengths of SR) is also great for non-future settings.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
GlassJaw said:
Have you ever thought of using Shadowrun?
Nope.

Haven't seen SR since 1st Edition so I don't know how much they changed it, but it doesn't strike me as a system that particularly favours the buckling of the swash.

nerfherder

Explorer
barsoomcore said:
They found themselves on a Flash Gordon flying pedestal arena combat thingummy, ended up jumping the lava chasm and mind-crushing giant monkeys into helping them strike down the SLAVE QUEEN herself.
What rules did you use if they fell in the lava?

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
nerfherder said:
What rules did you use if they fell in the lava?
SLAVE QUEEN OF THE RUINED CITY comes with its own set of lava rules, actually. I've been thinking of publishing them as a separate PDF, though.

Any thoughts? Would people welcome a True20-based set of comprehensive lava rules? It would probably be pretty easy to provide them in both True20- and d20-compatible formats, I'm sure.

Remove ads