• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Director Courtney Solomon Talks 'Dungeons & Dragons' Movie

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Solomon's never gotten more than a 12% on the tomatometer. It is a wonder he still gets jobs.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Solomon's never gotten more than a 12% on the tomatometer. It is a wonder he still gets jobs.
That is a real issue. In any field, I always wonder why some people who do poor work get rewarded for it. This guy keeps getting millions of dollars to produce bad movies. Surely there's some young/fringe/foreign/unknown director the studio would be better served giving a shot to than a guy who's record looks like this.

He knows people. Have you ever let a friend who sucks at cooking make you dinner? Played a game run by a friend who's a terrible GM? It's like that, multiplied by millions of dollars.

n00bdragon

First Post
That is a real issue. In any field, I always wonder why some people who do poor work get rewarded for it. This guy keeps getting millions of dollars to produce bad movies. Surely there's some young/fringe/foreign/unknown director the studio would be better served giving a shot to than a guy who's record looks like this.

Like Uwe Boll?

I kid. His movies are funded by German businessmen exploiting a producer's-like loophole in German tax law. There might be something like that going on here. That or, as P.T. Barnum once said, "a sucker is born every minute".

I'm a little impressed with his track record of consistently bad movies he managed to get one back in the theaters and scored Ethan Hawke and Selena Gomez.

Still, he's mostly a producer, so if they get a better director and writer there's no reason a new D&D film couldn't be a success. I'd still prefer a different producer and studio.

doghead

thotd
I can't speak to this movie or director. But I have never understood how when there are so many talented people out there, how many bad movies are made. Its not like they are cheap to make.

thotd

D'karr

Adventurer
I can't speak to this movie or director. But I have never understood how when there are so many talented people out there, how many bad movies are made. Its not like they are cheap to make.

thotd

Cheap is a relative term when you're talking about producing movies.

Remove ads