D&D 5E Disarm RAW OP?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
https://twitter.com/mpetruzz?ref_sr...sageadvice.eu/2016/05/15/the-disarm-maneuver/
To add more confusion to the conversation, just found this April 26, 2016 Sage Advice tweet from Crawford that never made the errata Sage Advice: If you disarm on your turn, you can pickup the weapon.

However, I'll stick to my earlier post that I believe his reply would violate "controlled space" of another, we have existing rules that can deal with getting stuff from controlled spaces, and there's no specific rule in Disarm to the contrary.

This appears to refer to the BM maneuver though, not the Disarm action option in the DMG. Either way though, I see no issue with picking up the dropped weapon as an object interaction. It can be tricky though - you need a hand to do that in my view. Someone who is sword-and-board has some choices to make there.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Since the disarmed item lands in the space occupied by the target, I would also rule you can only pick it up by moving into the target's space. Normally, this is not allowed unless they are two sizes larger or smaller than you. But, if you also use the options overrun, shove aside, tumble, then you can move into the target's space, pick up the weapon as part of your movement, and then continue to move through its space or move back to your original position.

Remove ads