D&D General Discuss: Combat as War in D&D

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
You can have that....and yet also have threat assessment that is relative. See below for a real-world example.

Whereas I would rather spend my money on a good execution, and then simply not buy things that don't cater to my interests. And the real problem is more that what 3e did is debatably good--and the execution was very, very bad. When the execution is so bad you have to disassemble the entire edifice before you can build something effective in its place, it's quite easy to argue that no amount of "good idea" is enough to justify it. I mean, consider the Spheres of Power/Spheres of Might stuff for Pathfinder--even its ardent supporters admit that it doesn't actually FIX caster-vs-martial problems, it just papers over them well enough that they usually won't adversely affect a group prepared for them. (Or, y'know, just PF2e, where the PF designers openly admitted the only way to move forward was to redesign the system.)
I never got deep enough into 3e to know what Spheres of Power/Might even were (are they a 3.5 thing? never really did 3.5).

The underlying principle in 3e of tying every creature in the setting to a quasi-universal and consistent-within-setting mechanical framework is an excellent starting point. That they then went on and kinda butchered the execution doesn't diminish this.
Except that that's the problem: those absolute numbers now enslave the whole system to making sure they stay absolute....or else the system just turns belly-up and is worthless. Or, I guess, the 5e solution of "here's some numbers...and if they don't work, you figure it out," which I am extremely not a fan of. You have to constrain what low-level players can do, so that "CR6" actually means "CR6," and not "CR6 unless you have a Wizard built to one-shot it," where "CR8" means "CR8" and not "CR8 unless the Fighter gets 4 crits in a row because of Action Surge." More on this below.
First thing: the whole idea of CR, while possibly helpful for new DMs, isn't something I really subscribe to. What that means is that I don't really care what "CR6" actually means in any given situation; it's a red herring.

But to say that Grunt the Ogre has 45 hit points doesn't constrain anything. Grunt has 45 h.p., just like Bob the PC Fighter has 63 hit points: those hit point values are locked in as part of those creatures' mechanical descriptions. Our little rat has 7 hit points, same thing.
By making relative threat assessments rather than absolute ones, you liberate yourself from having to so tightly constrain things. A level 5 fight is designed to be challenging for typical 5th level characters, but maybe you punch above your weight tonight, or maybe you punch below your weight and have to retreat. (Yes, I have specifically had to do this at least twice in 4e.)
There's nothing wrong with assessing threats as relative until-unless that assessment starts forcing mechanical changes; at which point it violates setting consistency.
What if the stats don't tell you "this is an absolute, ideal ogre, in every detail necessary," but rather tell you "this is what an ogre means to you"? Absolute mechanics are perfect truths present everywhere--an ogre is like an electron, it has one (rest) mass, one charge, one dipole moment, etc. Relative mechanics are mechanics true for a situation. E.g. instead of having an absolute "this lock is DC 25," and then needing to rigidly control what numbers the player is permitted to attain so that that number is impossible at 1st level and trivial at 20th, you instead say "this lock is designed to be hard for a 5th level character," so that the numbers naturally represent the world?
Because then you end up with, in a way, Schroedinger's lock. That particular element of the physical setting in which the characters are supposed to operate becomes inconsistent with itself from one moment to the next, which in my view is unacceptable setting design.
Under that notion, "an ogre is designed to be hard for a 6th level character" is a perfectly natural way to speak about it: you're talking about a world where "6th level character" MEANS "person who would find it hard, but not impossible, to defeat an ogre by themselves." And then all those different ways of cashing it out--a solo, an elite, a minion, whatever--are all recognizing the fact that it isn't a 6th-level character, and thus it shouldn't be identical in threat.
It isn't identical in threat, not due to anything that's changed about it but due to what's changed about the PCs as they've advanced in level. It still is what it was.

An analogy might be your elementary school gymnasium. When you were a kid it seemed huge, but go back and visit as an adult and it seems way smaller. Nothing's changed about the physical gym - it's the same size it always was - but your perception of it has altered. The change is in you, not the gym.

The parallel here is that the change is in the PC, not the ogre or the rat.
Again: threat is a relative assessment. Why should we make it absolute? It's quite easy to set absolute non-combat attributes (since, if we're being quite honest, those rarely matter--and when they do matter, you know better than any designer could what they should be if you disagree with what's written down).

But that's the thing. The entity's inherent nature isn't what is relevant for a threat assessment. The entity's relative power is what is relevant.
I don't use threat assessment as a starting point. The creature is what it is and it's up to the players/PCs to figure out its degree of threat.
Opportunistic infections--such as Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus or candidiasis--are mostly harmless to everyday folks, but potentially lethal to anyone immuno-compromised. Instead of rating it in absolute terms, it is much, much more useful to rate it in relative terms. Relative to a healthy adult immune system, they're almost never dangerous and can usually be disregarded as a cause of illness. Relative to patients with weak or undeveloped immune systems, however, they need to be considered. (I got an oral candidiasis infection as a child, for example.) Same exact pathogens; it's not like we can alter their physical makeup IRL. But we assess them differently, depending on different circumstances.
Whcih again means the difference is in the patient (the PC), not the pathogen (the ogre). You've made my point for me, here. :)
A teen with a two-by-four is dangerous to an ordinary unarmed citizen and no threat to a trained soldier because of what the unarmed citizen and trained soldier are, not because of what the teen is.
But nothing physically changes about the teen, or the 2x4, when faced with each of these opponents; and therefore were this a game there's absolutely no reason to change any of the teen's mechanical descriptors.
Why? Do you regularly play the entire setting all at once?

Also, technically, they aren't even being measured against your PCs. They're being measured against idealized "standard" PCs. Actual PCs--and their ploys and foibles--will always meaningfully differ. The goal of designing the system so it works is to make it so a reasonable level of "expected unexpectables" are accounted for without distorting the utility of the system.
To me they're being measured against the setting as a whole. The setting is more than just the PCs.
Being perfectly honest? There are a few bits in the 4e DMG that...aren't great.
I should mention that I only have the first DMG for 4e; on reading it (and the PH, and the MM) I decided not to bother following it any further.
In my experience, it is the opposite. Or, rather, the swingier things become, the wider its "allegedly viable but actually deadly" range becomes.
Ditto for the allegedly viable but actually pushover range; the point is that the wider that allegedly-viable range is the better IMO.
It is perfectly viable--and I know this is actually in the 4e DMG--to use combats up to +/- 4 levels of the party. The very extreme ends, especially at low levels (e.g. average party level >4) can be too swingy because that sort of thing tends to happen ANY time you're at extremes, but at most party levels, a -4 fight will be quick but still potentially dangerous (especially if you use smart tactics/ambush or get lucky) while a +4 fight will be VERY dangerous but still within the realm of winnable. And you very explicitly SHOULD provide a mix of encounters at, above, and below the party's level--both to create variety, and to let the party have a sense of progression. That, too, I know is present in the 4e DMG.
And 3e, and 5e. I don't use a numerical rating system, the encounters are what they are and over time there's going to be a mix ranging from "utterly trivial" to "you can't win this".
Yeah, I'm not here for real. I'm here for fantasy.
I guess I'm here for alternate-real.
Alright, so my numbers were slightly high. But, in my (admittedly limited) experience of OSR play....having the whole party die every 3-4 sessions really isn't that weird. Maybe a little more lethal than usual, but "the whole party survived an adventure" is, as I understood it, something to genuinely celebrate because it doesn't happen plenty often.
A death-free adventure in my games is unusual - there's most often one or two - but a TPK is very rare: I've DMed one TPK in 37 years. Also, an average adventure in my games takes about 8-10 sessions to play through, so it's not like there's a death every session*.

* - unless you play gonzo like they did in the first adventure in my current campaign: in 20 sessions they turned the whole party over twice, one and two characters at a time, and I don't think they ever stopped laughing. :)
I was trying for fairness on those, yeah. As Imaculata pointed out, C-as-X may be incomplete, but I'm glad it worked for you. I like C-as-A because...well, adventure is what a lot of people sign up for, regardless of what they like, and because it feels a bit like the "Brighthammer" tagline I love so much: "In the noble brightness of the far future, there is only HIGH ADVENTURE!"
Yeah, I go for a bit more of a gritty style. High adventure and heroism can be fine for a while, but that's all.
Well...okay, but that's sort of what I'm getting at. Being so eager to go over that line--and making it hard to pull back from it--is the opposite of volatility. Because it means that a definite answer, death, is quite common. Combat-as-adventure EXPECTS that you will have setbacks to start with, and then rally and recover--though sometimes the rally-and-recovery fails to be enough and you have to retreat. Combat-as-war (or extermination, or whatever term you prefer) makes pretty much any setback at least potentially immediately lethal--and that's even after you've done your level best to do something about setbacks ahead of time.
The thing with C-as-A and the setback-rally-recovery-victory pattern in combat is that the pattern becomes very predictable, and thus boring. I remember seeing this in 3e, where it became almost a meme or joke amongst us that if we could get to the third round of combat we'd win no matter what.

That said, I'm all about unpredictability in combat: re-rolled initiatives each round, fog-of-war, etc.

Maybe. I tried to nope out of that whole "what do we call this thing with an established name going back decades" tangent as much as I could so don't really care too much about the exact words :D The rest of your post though kinda comes down to learning to gm. Either the gm finds some route that works for the table & the style game they run or everyone hates it for whatever reason till they learn something that works. Whatever "something that works" winds up being is probably a nebulous amorphous ever shifting thing with too many variables to pin down into nice little descriptive boxes
Right, I am not even personally concerned with the whole concept of 'favoritism' etc. since I don't even see the game as one of actual structural conflict. Its a purely cooperative game at its core, so there is only 'what works'. That will be different for everyone.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
So, where does my campaign in which the 3rd level village heroes, having beat up the goblins in a vicious guerilla war and advanced to 3rd level, are the most powerful creatures in their entire region, at the very least? Isn't this a perfectly good D&D campaign? Didn't I run the fight against the goblins in a 'warlike fashion'?
To the last two questions, in order, I'd answer "Yes" and "I don't know". I can only assume you ran the goblins to the best of their abilities and that they were in for the kill, and if so, great!
It seems to me if you are going to call this something besides 'CaW' by your definition, then you are missing some factor in your stated definition!
If the goblins really were in for the kill, didn't pull punches, made sure to finish off downed characters, and so forth then you're firmly into CaW territory in my books.

But there's another factor to consider, and that's what system you're running. If you're running 5e, for example, which leans fairly hard toward the idea of CaS then you've got work to do in order to make it even feel like CaW, never mind actually become it. :)
Personally I think you have an unstated corollary, one that I at least hinted at earlier, which is that CaW really, in this view, relies on the enemy being so much stronger that they cannot be beaten except by subterfuge, or some sort of tactical or strategic ploy.
Can't speak for the OP but in my case this isn't true. It more relies on the enemies - the intelligent ones, anyway - making themselves stronger and more threatening than they otherwise might be, through good and smart use of tactics.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
There hasn't really been a good definition of Combat as War thus far. The reason being that it begs the quesiton, "Which war? What kind of war? With what goals?"

There's no such thing as generic "war" as a end-all-be-all description of how forces conduct themselves in and out of combat.
It is about "war" in the sense that Sun Tzu's The Art of War is about "war." You can still speak in an abstract way even if every example necessarily differs. War as a mindset, a philosophy, an approach to situations and opponent behaviors.

So if the dm by fiat creates a world such that PCs going after level appropriate threats will never become the target of more powerful foes.

yes that works, but isn’t it still occurring via dm fiat?
Well I mean...it's generally understood that intentionally throwing a TPK at your players is a pretty big jerk move. "Rocks fall, everyone dies" is a joke for a reason, and likewise the presence of the red dragon in earlier editions' random encounter tables is often justified with "well of course it wouldn't ATTACK, the PCs are beneath its notice, only suicidally stupid PCs would try to engage with it."

It's perfectly possible to make an encounter characters cannot win in 4e. You just generally don't do things that way because it isn't very fun to miss-miss-miss-miss-miss until you die. And I have absolutely seen situations where a DM told us, "you really shouldn't try to fight this guy. He's so far out of your league it isn't even potentially possible for you to hurt him." (Meaning, even with an amazing plan and flaming-hot dice, we would stand no chance.)

If that gets counted as "DM fiat," it seems to me that ALL forms of opposition are "DM fiat," so the criticism falls rather flat.

The issue in this version is that all the factions sit back and wait to get poked by the PCs instead of at least some actively going out and engaging with the PCs.
That sounds rather different from what you were saying eariler. I absolutely have my enemy factions act and respond outside of what the PCs do. They just don't generally directly threaten the PCs, partly because I made it an intrigue-heavy game, partly because I don't want to stress my players out over whether they get to keep the characters they like playing. At first, much of this was because the PCs were nobodies who hadn't made a name for themselves; now it's a mix of who their allies (upright and dubious) are, their proven ability to thwart typical direct responses, and the fact that symbolic or political victories are often more important than brute physical ones.

What do you mean by cheating?
Both of those are cheating unless the DM does the work of justifying them in-fiction before they are deployed. If the players fail to investigate far enough and thus didn't learn about the wizard's super-serum research or the goblins' client relationship with a dragon, that isn't the DM's fault. But if the DM adds HP in the middle of fights or magics a green dragon out of the ether to pound the party, both actions are cheating: "I'm altering the deal. Pray I do not alter it any further."

"because we are quietly paying them to cause those problems" and "because we are quietly paying someone else to pay them to cause those problems" tend to work well.
Yes, very much how it's worked in my game. Dark forces that must keep to the shadows, work through intermediaries, conceal their efforts until the time is right, etc. In general, they can't risk too much open conflict--that tends to awaken a deadly response. Instead, they sow discord, kill important figures, recruit followers, commit terrorism, that sort of thing. To survive as they have, these forces have gotten good at hiding from the authorities. But Random Adventurers, who come and go as they please and who are a lot less beholden to the limits that sultanas and armies and priests are beholden to? They're tough to hide from.

@Lanefan I'm on my phone so I can't respond properly now, but will do so later. Probably after I DM tonight's Dungeon World game. Because I strongly suspect it will be a doozy.

Last edited:

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I dislike doubleposting, but I suppose it's better than critting everyone with wall of text for Over Nine Thousand.

The rest of your post though kinda comes down to learning to gm. Either the gm finds some route that works for the table & the style game they run or everyone hates it for whatever reason till they learn something that works.
Point taken that situation matters, but solutions shouldn't be so perfectly unique that nothing whatever can be learned or generalized. Gamemastery is an art. So are cooking, drawing, and music--but there are principles and rules of thumb to all of them. Guidelines, obeyed not slavishly, but because obeying them almost always results in better work. That way, when you DO choose to break them, it's because you're confident things will be better for it. (You can never know for sure, that's part of the risk of making art.) Consider that "intentionally throwing a TPK at the party is a jerk move" thing I said earlier. A really good DM, with players who know and trust her, probably COULD pull off an intentional TPK...not because doing so is a good idea normally, but because she's experienced enough to know how to make it work.

I never got deep enough into 3e to know what Spheres of Power/Might even were (are they a 3.5 thing? never really did 3.5).
It's Pathfinder only. Spheres of Power replaces Vancian spells with Spheres, which are...both far more focused thematically (since "spell" means "basically anything magical" in 3e and its children) and more flexible for "cantrip-like" use (many simple effects cost no spell points), while being overall more costly (getting even 30 spell points is difficult without major effort, and many effects cost 2 or more spell points to cast). Spheres of Might creates an entirely new system of semi-"martial only" Spheres (that is, most of them scale based off BAB), many of which add new movement options and juice up Special Attack Actions, which use only your standard action and not a full-round action, encouraging a more mobile, dynamic battlefield. Both Spherecasters and martial Sphere users can get more Spheres by spending feats--hence the system is a direct power-up to Fighters, who get tons of bonus combat feats.

It's a very neat system. It's just...still shackled to the flaws of 3e. It does make playing a martial character a lot more interesting at low levels, but at high levels you still run into some problems of "3 spell points and the fight is basically over" if your spellcasters have done their stuff intelligently. It does, however, significantly reduce the punishment factor of multiclassing as a caster (many things use "MSB"--Magic Skill Bonus--which is just the flat sum of your levels in caster classes, analogous to BAB) and generally makes a more flavor-focused character building experience without sacrificing the detail of character building that fans of 3e love so much.

The underlying principle in 3e of tying every creature in the setting to a quasi-universal and consistent-within-setting mechanical framework is an excellent starting point. That they then went on and kinda butchered the execution doesn't diminish this.
And my point is that that may not be as excellent as you claim. It forces you to ensure, for example, that no character of a certain level can do more than a certain amount of damage, otherwise an ogre isn't an absolute threat. You don't actually "know" anything about how dangerous it should be or how it will behave in-world, because a first-level Fighter might blow it away or might get blown away with no meaningful way to assess the likelihood of other. A first-level Bard might be able to persuade a minotaur to abandon its monstrous lifestyle and take up selling fine ceramic dishware, or might not be able to convince it that the sun is shining when it can see sunlight coming in through the labyrinth's entrance.

That's what I mean by enslavement to the numbers. You commit to those things in that way, and you end up with a trilemma:
1: You shackle what your players are allowed to do. (Some think this is what 4e did; I obviously disagree.)
2: You have a "system" that supposedly tells you what to expect, but is actually worthless for making any kind of prediction. (This is, demonstrably, what 3e did--CR is just the most obvious example thereof. "Diplomancy" is another.)
3: You have a "system" that says, "well, if it doesn't work, you figure it out, you're in charge after all." (Arguably what 5e does, and not exactly much of a "system" either.)

First thing: the whole idea of CR, while possibly helpful for new DMs, isn't something I really subscribe to.
Okay. So why are you so hung up on the threat level presented by a monster always being a fixed thing? "Attack roll" is an abstraction. "Hit points" are an abstraction. "Armor class" is an abstraction. Why do these abstractions need to be turned into the unquestionable bedrock of reality, instead of being recognized as the abstractions they are and leveraged for what utility an abstraction can provide?

Pretending that an abstraction IS reality is exactly how we get the problems 3e has: players exploiting the fact that an abstraction, no matter how thorough, will never truly correspond to what they're abstracting. That's how you get "whack-a-mole" healing, for instance, because the only hit point that matters is the last one.

But to say that Grunt the Ogre has 45 hit points doesn't constrain anything.
Yes, it does. It means that a low level character cannot do more than 45 hit points of damage in a single attack, otherwise ogres are pushovers. That, no more and no less, is my point. When you set these numbers, they shape the system: they define what players are allowed to do. Or else they don't define what players are allowed to do, and thus abjectly fail to give you the reliable bedrock of "physics" to predict how things should go, whether because the system just tells you nothing (3e), or the system tells you to go with whatever your gut tells you to do anyway (5e).

The irony, of course, is that by having relative numbers, players can do whatever they like. Despite all the rhetoric about 4e taking away the freedom and yadda yadda, at a game design level it's actually the reverse.

There's nothing wrong with assessing threats as relative until-unless that assessment starts forcing mechanical changes; at which point it violates setting consistency.
Why does it have to do that? Why do the numbers need to be what the creature physically is?

Because then you end up with, in a way, Schroedinger's lock. That particular element of the physical setting in which the characters are supposed to operate becomes inconsistent with itself from one moment to the next, which in my view is unacceptable setting design.
No, you DON'T, and that's one of the key problems here, something you're not getting. Schrödinger's lock is "this lock becomes whatever it needs to be to challenge the party when the party arrives to face it." THAT IS NOT WHAT I SAID. What I said was, "This lock is supposed to be hard for [typical] 5th level characters." Whosoever said that the party HAD to be 5th level when they find it? Populate your world! Give it locks that make sense for the areas they're found in! The only way you're going to get Schrödinger's lock is if YOU put it there!

It isn't identical in threat, not due to anything that's changed about it but due to what's changed about the PCs as they've advanced in level. It still is what it was.
Again: WHY DO THE NUMBERS NEED TO BE WHAT IT PHYSICALLY IS? These are abstractions! The physical entity has its physical properties, yes, but the abstractions are whatever we as creators decide them to be.

The change is in you, not the gym.<snip>The parallel here is that the change is in the PC, not the ogre or the rat. I don't use threat assessment as a starting point. The creature is what it is and it's up to the players/PCs to figure out its degree of threat. Whcih again means the difference is in the patient (the PC), not the pathogen (the ogre). You've made my point for me, here. :) But nothing physically changes about the teen, or the 2x4, when faced with each of these opponents; and therefore were this a game there's absolutely no reason to change any of the teen's mechanical descriptors.
Except that there ARE reasons, and OF COURSE the change isn't in the thing itself. You have presumed this whole time that these abstraction numbers--accuracy, defenses, combat endurance, etc.--need to be LITERALLY IDENTICAL to the creature itself. Why? We already know that, as Gygax himself put it, it makes no sense that a 10th-level Fighter has flesh tougher than a battle-hardened warhorse. A ten-ton lizard could not fly on wings of comparable length to its body, and certainly could not breathe ice on things, yet they do. These numbers and properties ALREADY deviate from what is physically true and predictable.

To me they're being measured against the setting as a whole. The setting is more than just the PCs.
Why should they be? You're not testing the whole setting all the time. The only thing you're testing regularly is the PCs. Yes, you can absolutely have things that are NOT Schrödinger's locks. (That, incidentally, was why I gave the example in the first place.) But for a rule system about playing a game as player characters, the only thing that matters is what the player characters do. Trying to keep a perfect simulation of everything against everything else is just....well, unnecessary effort, for one thing, and directly leads to many of the serious problems of 3e as stated above.

Ditto for the allegedly viable but actually pushover range; the point is that the wider that allegedly-viable range is the better IMO.
I used the word "allegedly" for a reason, as in "NOT viable, but deceiving you into thinking it is." So "allegedly viable but actually pushover" would be no better, other than giving some players that feeling of power for stomping on things a lot.

And 3e, and 5e.
That's...not really relevant, given that you were specifically skewering 4e over the (strongly implied) "every encounter should always be in Schrödinger-style lockstep with the party's level" thing. That's why I was balking. Responding with "and 3e, and 5e" to that is missing the point by such a massive degree it calls into question whether you were trying to aim diametrically opposite it.

A death-free adventure in my games is unusual - there's most often one or two - but a TPK is very rare: I've DMed one TPK in 37 years. Also, an average adventure in my games takes about 8-10 sessions to play through, so it's not like there's a death every session*.
The lack of TPKs is extremely surprising to me, given what I usually hear from other OSR-type fans. As in, having less than 1 TPK every five years would be surprising to most of those folks.

Yeah, I go for a bit more of a gritty style. High adventure and heroism can be fine for a while, but that's all.
Whereas for me it would be perfectly accurate to say, "Yeah, I go for a high adventure and heroism style. Gritty can be fine for a bit, but that's all." The only real exception to that is Shadowrun, and even then I lean toward the lighter-and-softer/brighter-and-hopeful side of it: the world might suck, but if people would STOP being so gritty and selfish, it not only COULD but WOULD get better.

The thing with C-as-A and the setback-rally-recovery-victory pattern in combat is that the pattern becomes very predictable, and thus boring. I remember seeing this in 3e, where it became almost a meme or joke amongst us that if we could get to the third round of combat we'd win no matter what.
Then your DM was(/DMs were) being...not very good, I'm afraid. Because I guarantee you this was NOT the case in any 4e game I've played of meaningful length (more than four sessions). I have had to retreat from fights because "setback-rally-recovery" DIDN'T do enough. I have had fights where no real "rally-recovery" happened, we just eked out a bare-survival victory by the skin of our teeth. And other times where there was no "setback," it was just victory. Or where the "setback" didn't happen until midway through the fight, because the monster wasn't what it seemed!

If your DM was(/DMs were) being THAT predictable, even in 3e with all its foibles...I'm sorry, I can't believe that ALL the blame rests on the system.

That said, I'm all about unpredictability in combat: re-rolled initiatives each round, fog-of-war, etc.
Oh jeez, rolled initiative each round is just such a pain though. Talk about bloating fights up, I've seen that easily double the length of a fight. (It's why my W20 storyteller stopped doing that.)

Can't speak for the OP but in my case this isn't true. It more relies on the enemies - the intelligent ones, anyway - making themselves stronger and more threatening than they otherwise might be, through good and smart use of tactics.
That definitely doesn't track with the way most people explain Combat-as-War. It's usually explained with references to Tucker's Kobolds (which, incidentally, were quite lethal according to the stories), flooding the enemy's stronghold so they all asphyxiate, and otherwise making it so tactics and advantages are overweeningly lethal when used by the enemy unless thwarted by even-more-lethal tactics and advantages exploited by the PCs.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Point taken that situation matters, but solutions shouldn't be so perfectly unique that nothing whatever can be learned or generalized. Gamemastery is an art. So are cooking, drawing, and music--but there are principles and rules of thumb to all of them. Guidelines, obeyed not slavishly, but because obeying them almost always results in better work. That way, when you DO choose to break them, it's because you're confident things will be better for it. (You can never know for sure, that's part of the risk of making art.) Consider that "intentionally throwing a TPK at the party is a jerk move" thing I said earlier. A really good DM, with players who know and trust her, probably COULD pull off an intentional TPK...not because doing so is a good idea normally, but because she's experienced enough to know how to make it work.

It's not impossible to learn something, but even in cooking you need to limit the scope of a topic to convey anything particularly meaningful. Sure there's going to be some very basic similarities if you start looking at a subset of cooking that includes all forms of barbeque grilling, all forms of smoking, all forms of line cook, al forms of baking bread/pastries/cakes, all forms of pickling, all forms of sousvide, & so on. GM;ing is juggling all of that but it needs some narrowing of scope to convey particularly useful information of substance.

The CaW/CaS dichotomy does that by mostly focusing on the combat encounter itself. It seems like you want to extend that to some form of what amounts to something like "how to avoid NPCS organizations, groups, & so on from being too competent & just slaughtering the PCS without showing the man behind the curtain in any type of campaign with any type of plots & goals taking place in any region of any type of setting" That's just too many variables & almost all of them will change what can or does meet the needs of accomplishing that.

Can you narrow it down at all?

I just don't agree with this, because I don't agree that genuine strategy is possible, in an 'all out total war' sense in an RPG. The world is not detailed enough. The GM is free to invent new reasons why this or that fails or succeeds at any moment, and can always justify it with some logistical, environmental, tactical, etc. factor he's just invented. I'm not even saying this is done in a spirit of 'screwing up' anyone's plans or whatnot, just that GAME considerations always end up overriding everything else.

You seem to be saying a lot of conflicting things here. You say the world isn't detailed enough for strategy (how much detail would be required?), and then you say the DM can invent just anything he wants (oh, so now it's too detailed?). The game does have rules you know. It is not like the DM can and will just screw you over with invented reasons just to give the opposing party an advantage. If he does, he's a bad DM. That has nothing to do with CaW though.

In an actual wargame,...

Who cares? Why would D&D need to be anything like an 'actual' wargame to be strategic?

the game is simply like Chess, all possible rules and situations are covered,

D&D already comes pretty close to doing this, depending on which edition you are playing. Anything missing can be house ruled. In my CaW games, both the players and their foes follow the same rules. And because of this, the players can anticipate the next move of their foe.

For example, a ship can't just sail against the wind, or see through fog. Nor can it quickly turn its cannons about. These are all hard rules that the players can use to form a strategy.

and any considerations outside of what the designer thought of are simply impossible to model in that game.

So by definition then it is LESS detailed than D&D?

This is totally different from D&D, which cannot be classified in any form as a wargame or even having the elements of a wargame.

What are you talking about? D&D was created from a wargame! It is the OG wargame! It is full of wargame elements!

It is an exercise in creating a shared imagined space and a fiction associated with it. Anything can and does happen, and there are no quantified rules for how or why it does. It isn't simulating anything, even if there are some trappings of such.

Ahem, then why do we have TWO rule books?

AT LEAST you would need a truly disengaged neutral 3rd party referee who would agree to provide the adjudication of each factor that 2 opposing sides wished to try to factor in before it would become anything like a simulation. Without that 'simulation character' the idea of actual STRATEGY is meaningless. You do not, and can not, know the relevant factors on which to plan. It is impossible.

Nonsense. Do people who play Warhammer need a referee? What even is actual strategy? I think you are arguing against a type of simulation that NO ONE here is arguing for.

Last edited:

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
It's not impossible to learn something, but even in cooking you need to limit the scope of a topic to convey anything particularly meaningful.
I mean, as a purely amateur cook who gets compliments on his cooking, I dunno if I agree with this. Learning how to layer flavors, for example, or working with mother sauces, is stuff that generalizes. Guidelines for how long to cook meat (and in what ways) based on the animal it came from, the part of its body it came from, and how it's been cut are pretty important to listen to--as I learned when I tried to cut a roast into thin strips for stir fry. (It did not go well--lesson learned, roasts really are for roasting!)

Acids help deglaze pans and cut through heavy flavors, but they don't tend to survive as flavor under hot temperatures. Fat adds mouthfeel and flavor, but you don't want your sauces to break. Most herbs (fresh or dry) should be added relatively late, but some (like thyme, as I recently learned) do best when thrown in early.

The CaW/CaS dichotomy does that by mostly focusing on the combat encounter itself. It seems like you want to extend that to some form <snip> Can you narrow it down at all?
Well, the reason I gave that was just to show (a) "this is a behavior that's not generally wise" and (b) "some DMs can pull it off." Sort of like how you shouldn't generally begin a sentence with a conjunction, but sometimes it is the best thing to do. Or how, in English, if you want people to understand you, you should put the subject of a sentence before its verb--but it is quite common in Shakespearean(-inspired)/Early Modern English poetry to put the verb last (e.g. "and though my sobs the heavens shook" or Anne Bradstreet's "In silent night when rest I took"). That is, I'm saying some things can be generally understood to be inadvisable for good, generically-valid reasons, yet still okay to "break" under some circumstances.

But if refinement is what you want...

If it is truly a game (that is, neither a puzzle nor illusionism), the players must be able to make informed decisions, and to learn from and adapt to the consequences of their actions. The former requires that information is "real" in some sense: game stats do not change unless the situation changes in a way they could discover, even if they (by coincidence, research failure, bad luck, whatever) fail to actually do so. The latter, that their choices are the real and direct cause of the consequences, not filtered through concealed DM fiat--that is, if DM fiat applies, they are made aware of it and can at least try to plan accordingly in the future.

The former means "fudging" in the sense of shifting the world around on a DM feeling is not kosher--hence, intentionally throwing a totally-unplanned, never-justified green dragon at the party just to cause a TPK and for no other reason isn't okay. But if you develop the green dragon in advance, that is, if you do the DM work of establishing that connection even if the players fail to notice it, you've done your due diligence. The latter means "fudging" in the sense of tweaking the numbers of a creature as it stands before the players, in a similarly unplanned and never-justified way, is not okay. But if you provide a justification in the doing--and, importantly, enable and encourage the players to learn what happened and what they might do about it in the future--then you're in the clear.

Fundamentally, this aspect of the art of DMing is all about enabling the players to...well, play. Play permits skill (even if some of that skill includes "knowing how much risk is acceptable"); skill can only be gained if information is valid and can be reflected upon; information can only be valid and reflected upon if it actually arises from things the players could be aware of, whether or not they actually become aware of it. There are other aspects, which should not at all be treated as lesser or inferior--supporting the kind of aesthetic/narrative experience the players want, for example, which may be very old-school "zero-to-hero" (or, quite often, "zero-to-dead until you get a zero-to-hero") or a newer-school "exciting action-adventure hero" or whatever else.

You seem to be saying a lot of conflicting things here. You say the world isn't detailed enough for strategy (how much detail would be required?), and then you say the DM can invent just anything he wants (oh, so now it's too detailed?).
What I mean is, the world is NOT CONSTRAINED, and in those dimensions of non-constraint it isn't possible for the players to reason about strategy, since no information can, by definition, exist in those dimensions. The GM is simply free to make up anything, so the potentially viable strategies is simply a dynamic set of whatever things the GM decides at any given moment in time will work.
The game does have rules you know. It is not like the DM can and will just screw you over with invented reasons just to give the opposing party an advantage. If he does, he's a bad DM. That has nothing to do with CaW though.
Why does everyone focus on 'screwing you over'? I mean, sure that is a way a GM can behave, but if you have been reading the thread there isn't even remotely a consensus on what that would look like! Obviously every decision the GM makes will favor one side or the other. Equally obviously any that are not favorable to the PCs are not 'screwing them over' or else GM judgment would be an impossibility. The GM does, however, have SOME REASON for every decision, and I assert most of those reasons are gamist in nature (having run these sorts of scenarios 100's of times, and participated in them an equal amount I think I speak from solid general experience here).
Who cares? Why would D&D need to be anything like an 'actual' wargame to be strategic?
As an open world RPG where the referee (GM) has to take the side of the opponent, and also has motivation to provide a good game (IE gamist considerations) strategy is not always even a consideration, or at best it has to compete with others. A wargame, at least in my parlance, has a definitive 'closed world' set of rules, OR it has an independent referee who isn't playing one side. Chainmail falls in the later category, though mostly in the former also, as did Dave's original Blackmoor apparently (it had players PCs as both sides according to what I understand, at least part of the time).
D&D already comes pretty close to doing this, depending on which edition you are playing.
D&D is nothing like a closed world type of game at all.
Anything missing can be house ruled.
Which is 99% of the world. This is less important in very tightly controlled scenarios, hence the dungeon delve as the standard model, but as @pemerton has often observed, B/X and its attempt to apply that model to the wilderness doesn't even work that well, it is a much more open-ended world where the rules cover only a tiny fraction of all the relevant considerations.
In my CaW games, both the players and their foes follow the same rules. And because of this, the players can anticipate the next move of their foe.
And when one or the other side decides to do something slightly out of the box, you will run off the end of those rules. It isn't even so much rules as it is information about the campaign world. Details really matter. Where does the goblin tribe get the fletching for their arrows? I want to deprive them of missile weapons so I can defeat them easily. I mean, think of all the ways one society has used to defeat another. I won't recapitulate the grim history of my own people, but the real world suggest quite a few strategies, but they all depend in various ways on details of logistics, culture, disease, etc. which are CERTAINLY neither part of the D&D rules, nor part of any established campaign world I've ever seen.
For example, a ship can't just sail against the wind, or see through fog. Nor can it quickly turn its cannons about. These are all hard rules that the players can use to form a strategy.
Tactics, yes. What is the effect of higher waves and which ships does it effect in different ways? Can you carry an extra 500 lbs of supplies, and what effect does that have? Who supplies the pitch used in your naval construction program, and can I disrupt that supply?

Obviously ALL of the questions above CAN be given answers. Most likely a GM just eyeballs it, or makes something up because no information exists. I mean, lets assume in every case you make up something that is intended to make it difficult but possible for PCs to execute a strategy using that information (or defend against one). Is that realistic and would the players actually expect that outcome? Will it work out reasonably in the game, and what are they thinking of that is not the same as what you're thinking of? Wargames don't have this kind of problem. Real life DOES, but at least you can apply logic and observation to validate your ideas and test them, which is really hard to emulate in the game.
So by definition then it is LESS detailed than D&D?
Wargames are 'closed world' games, yes. RPGs are not, and thus no codified or complete/extensive list of relevant factors exists. Obviously the corollary to this is that you can try ANYTHING in an RPG, where a wargame has predefined the possible options. Good wargames still have room for quite a bit of tactics within that boundary though.
What are you talking about? D&D was created from a wargame! It is the OG wargame! It is full of wargame elements!
D&D, in even its 1e form, has few or none of the elements of wargames, actually. I mean, it has a combat resolution system, which is pretty typically present in wargames, but again, it is pretty open-ended.
Ahem, then why do we have TWO rule books?
I'm not sure what point you are making here?
Nonsense. Do people who play Warhammer need a referee? What even is actual strategy? I think you are arguing against a type of simulation that NO ONE here is arguing for.
Warhammer doesn't allow for open-ended actions. It is no different from Afrika Corps. Only a fixed set of things can happen, etc. Maybe at best players can agree on additional rules to cover a specific scenario before play starts. Chainmail OTOH does specify a referee. This allows for 'fog of war', which isn't really possible in Warhammer, which is a whole added level of realism. Also the referee can provide for information neither side has, etc. So, maybe Warhammer players don't 'need' a referee, but its lack does put limitations on the game.

I'm arguing that RPGs, with open worlds and no truly neutral referee, are not conducive to genuine exercises in strategy.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
What do you mean by cheating?

The evil wizard has no HP left but you rule as a GM that he had "more HP" so he gets one more turn? That would be fudging at the very least.

Or

The goblin tribe has called upon their patron, a green dragon, to crush the level 3 party.

The second it's cheating.
god damn it

The first is "cheating". If the GM had determined that the goblins had a powerful ally, it's 100% fine IMO.

Remove ads