• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Discussion) General Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest 11456

I've finally gotten rid of my worm problems on the computer. And so now I am back and ready to help. I originally posted a request to help judge back on the original thread.

I had an idea on the character sheet standardization last week as a matter-of-fact. My thought was to use a combination of a stat block and a more traditional character sheet. The stat block would come at the top and list all pertinent info in a concise format followed by a more complete character sheet. The character sheet could include additions as the character levels and thus there would be a record of changes to the character over time. The stat block would have the current information on the character only.

The stat block would allow a DM easy and quick access to the pertinent character info without getting bogged down with extra stuff.

The character sheet would allow a JUDGE to verify that all changes to the character were done correctly.

If more detail is needed I can come up with an example.

Later,
Tailspinner

Wippit Guud

First Post
Economy stuff

What are we calling the currency? The Vinyard game has already said gold are crowns, what about the rest? I can suggest silver nobles and copper commons (thank you, Mr Gygax and the Gord boods), but don't know what to call platinum... 'plates' just don't seem to fit the royalty naming scheme. Platinum lords, maybe?

Creamsteak

Explorer
Wippit Guud said:
Economy stuff

What are we calling the currency? The Vinyard game has already said gold are crowns, what about the rest? I can suggest silver nobles and copper commons (thank you, Mr Gygax and the Gord boods), but don't know what to call platinum... 'plates' just don't seem to fit the royalty naming scheme. Platinum lords, maybe?

I think it will be regional. For now, I'm going to say that the Red Dragon's Region (to be named as soon as I feel inspired) will use Dragons for Platinum pieces, then Crowns (Gold), Shields (Silver), and Pennies (Copper).

Macbeth

First Post
I have just a fe minutes to make a quick post during lunch, since I don't have a connection to the internet in my dorm room yet, and I thought I would weigh in on the formating characters issue. I prefer an expanded (non-statblock) form that shows as much math (skill ranks, special bonuses, cost for ability scores) as possible, just to make editing easier. Beyond those requests, anything works for me.

Also, Creamsteak, there is an email on its way from me (that would be slatorra%@nmt.edu without the %, SALT in the sender line) about the issues that have come up while I was gone.

I'll get back to auditing characters as soon as I have an internet connection in my room, which should be sometime either this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Pyrex said:
Why? Supply and demand is one of the basic tenets of capitalism. If people see that wizards are overcharging for their potions, soon enough there'll be more wizards around brewing potions and the competition'll drive the price down.

And we set a basic cost for services that assumes that process has taken place in the greater world outside the PCs. Actually trying to make that happen with the worlds population reduced to PCs is not going to work.

(if we said that food is only available from PCs who decided to be farmers and hunters, capitalism would be an equally silly attempt.)

Kahuna burger

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
CS, yes (cough), I realized that I hadn't signed out about a millisecond after I hit 'Post'. I think that it was just the one, though. Maybe twice (cough again),
My Bad', as they say.

-Uriel

Pyrex

First Post
Kahuna Burger said:
And we set a basic cost for services that assumes that process has taken place in the greater world outside the PCs. Actually trying to make that happen with the worlds population reduced to PCs is not going to work.

(if we said that food is only available from PCs who decided to be farmers and hunters, capitalism would be an equally silly attempt.)

Kahuna burger

(I kind of figured few players wouldn't want to be hunters or farmers, that's why I specified above that standard goods from the PHB should be readily available)

A greater world outside the Red Dragon Inn does exist. People will be getting items whenever they participate in an adventure. Those items will then become part of the secondary market. Are you going to also require that PC's selling items they've found to other PC's can only charge n% of "Fair Market Value" for it?

While we're on the subject, how big should "n%" be? If n is too low, it will discourage PC's from researching new & unique spells and items (as they'll never be able to recoup the cost). If n is too high it becomes meaningless.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Pyrex said:
A greater world outside the Red Dragon Inn does exist. People will be getting items whenever they participate in an adventure. Those items will then become part of the secondary market. Are you going to also require that PC's selling items they've found to other PC's can only charge n% of "Fair Market Value" for it?

I personally cannot require anything... And you personally need to relax. :p

What I am suggesting is that

a) Though slightly more glamorous than farming, I suspect that there will be few PCs acting as full time item creators. I suppose people with a lot of free time could make background PCs for that sort of purpose, but then the "XP gained by killing stuff" problem arises. In short, PCs are not going to account for the realistic selection of item brokers a place like the red dragon inn would be frequented by. Ergo, capitalism ain't gonna work.

b) The prices set in the DMG are presumedly based on game ballance (as are the prices for more mundane items I imagine) and it would be a mistake IMHO to let new prices be set without the average PC being aware of the "fair market value" of an item (with craft, proffession or apraise checks as always to prevent being ripped off).

c) Raw capitalism has never struck me as a required part of a D&D universe, and certainly not one like Living enworld where prices for ads are set on Joe's say so. Lacking the imaginary hand of the free market, I would be suprized if certain high powered NPCs didn't step in with some friendly advice to those who think they can charge outside of the accepted range of prices for items.

Kahuna burger

Bragi

First Post
If you are looking for some ideas on how to manage things. We have be running The Living Web for 3 1/2 years now. Its very similar, except that we also host live games using openRPG and WebRPG. Anyway, if you want to check it out, you are welcome to use any of the ideas we have posted.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Some of the links on your site aren't working for me. I'm intrigued, mostly about how you solve a lot of the issues that have been brought up in these threads, but I can't seem to find a working link leading directly to the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads