• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Discussion) General Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyh

First Post
Uriel said:
Judges
This may be presumptuous (Ok, no it's not, but I don't want to sound arrogant), but of the Judges, I seem to be the only one who has been in active mode recently.
I understand that CS has been at school and Garyh has been...Um, Garyh, are you even part of LEW? I don't see you around much, and I miss you (sniff).

Sorry 'bout that. Had finals week, then holiday travel. Didn't leave my usual "away" thread. Bad Gary!

I'm still catching up on this thread, and will make some more general comments when I've caught up.

garyh

First Post
Okay, here's my $0.02.

- If not for Uriel, this place would have fallen apart by now. Thanks, Uriel.

- I've been swayed to re-think the rules creation issues. I used to be for it, but the more I read, the more I think players/DM's should only create world info, and not rules. It's getting to be quite a big pile of... stuff. I'm thinking core-only is the best idea, with the possible exception of deities (no new domains, though). Variants and created rules is just too much.

- I'm going to get on the proposals in the next few days, and - if need be - lay the "Not Gonna Happen" Hammer down on some of them. It needs to be done.

- It'd be good to get some more consolidated info. Not sure how much of this can be done without Creamsteak.

Feedback from those in the trenches?

Jack Haggerty

First Post
garyh said:
Feedback from those in the trenches?

Ask and ye shall receive.

garyh said:
I've been swayed to re-think the rules creation issues. I used to be for it, but the more I read, the more I think players/DM's should only create world info, and not rules. It's getting to be quite a big pile of... stuff. I'm thinking core-only is the best idea, with the possible exception of deities (no new domains, though). Variants and created rules is just too much.

I'm a little confused, you see. I thought this was the big idea the whole time...

I thought we were essentially meant to be building a dynamic campaign setting (like Forgotten Realms, for example), not a varient D&D game with a handful of house rules and new rules (like Wheel of Time, for example).

That said, I agree that the basic rules should be inviolate. We should be playing the game as written. However, as our own personal campaign setting, I see nothing wrong with player-designed races, PrCs, feats, spells, monsters, deities, magic items, equipment, etc... So long as they follow the rules.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
garyh said:
- I've been swayed to re-think the rules creation issues. I used to be for it, but the more I read, the more I think players/DM's should only create world info, and not rules. It's getting to be quite a big pile of... stuff. I'm thinking core-only is the best idea, with the possible exception of deities (no new domains, though). Variants and created rules is just too much.

Not one of my characters has any use for an SRD prestige class. They are heavily slanted towards rogues, wiz/sorcs and elf bloods. There's one cleric class I could aim for at, what 12th level? I'm not sure that this is a balance flaw in the SRD, because honestly, theres no expectation that major campaigns will be run with just that (usually its either offical Wotc only or inclusion of 3rd party, but SRD only is very limiting).

So excluding ogl PrCs and feats AND removing the ability to design and try our own is very limiting to a lot of character concepts, IMO. There just isn't enough in the SRD, thats why the other stuff sells, after all.

Kahuna Burger

Kahuna Burger said:
Not one of my characters has any use for an SRD prestige class. They are heavily slanted towards rogues, wiz/sorcs and elf bloods. There's one cleric class I could aim for at, what 12th level? I'm not sure that this is a balance flaw in the SRD, because honestly, theres no expectation that major campaigns will be run with just that (usually its either offical Wotc only or inclusion of 3rd party, but SRD only is very limiting).

So excluding ogl PrCs and feats AND removing the ability to design and try our own is very limiting to a lot of character concepts, IMO. There just isn't enough in the SRD, thats why the other stuff sells, after all.

Kahuna Burger
Well...you don't HAVE to take a PrC at all...

While I love options and such, I think we may all be spoiled with them. I ran a game not to long ago, with ONLY the Core books. It was just as fun..if not MORE fun than my usual games that allow pretty much anything that fits the world with my approval.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Well...you don't HAVE to take a PrC at all...

While I love options and such, I think we may all be spoiled with them. I ran a game not to long ago, with ONLY the Core books. It was just as fun..if not MORE fun than my usual games that allow pretty much anything that fits the world with my approval.

and yet a lot of others wouldn't have enjoyed it, esp in thelong term... No one has to take a PrC, all the classes are supposed to be equally attactive to 20th level - and yet, some classes have lots of PrC options under the core rules and some have effectivly none.

People who like the basic options can play them with added options available. People who find the basic options inadequate to what they want to play are just screwed with the added options removed. Unless you allow it to turn into a Mr Suitcase situation, having the added options there is the solution that will make evryone happy (everyone except players who want to make others do it their way, which I don't think we have a lot of here)

Kahuna Burger

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Well, it looks like we (LEW) are about to have the discussion about Ressurection...personally I have always hated it.

K-B, I was just curious: Why did you decide to attack the Druid?

Though is saddens me to whack a character, my opinion is moot in this.
The other players, however,have been discussing things here; you may have wanted to post something here first,before lobbing a water balloon (It will have about as much effect) at the Druid.
I'm just a bit confused. Your last post (before the one today)mentioned getting to Troi and trying to stabalize him against the Poison, while the one that you made a little while ago pretty much dooms him to die.
Yes, you guys will most likely slay the Druid easily, but at the price of Troi's life.

Sarcasm unintended.

Last edited:

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
Ouch. My sympathies to (presumably) Gnomeworks.

By-the-by, did I read correctly a small ways back that there were a lot of PC's hanging around the tavern with nothing to do? I sent an adventure a small ways back and never got any response, mentioned it, and sent it again to Macbeth at his request. Having not heard anything for a bit, I thought I'd do the moral equivalent of bumping it.

I don't mean to be a pain, but think of those poor PCs... :p

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Thomas Hobbes said:
Ouch. My sympathies to (presumably) Gnomeworks.

By-the-by, did I read correctly a small ways back that there were a lot of PC's hanging around the tavern with nothing to do? I sent an adventure a small ways back and never got any response, mentioned it, and sent it again to Macbeth at his request. Having not heard anything for a bit, I thought I'd do the moral equivalent of bumping it.

I don't mean to be a pain, but think of those poor PCs... :p

I thought that there were too few PCs, but I could have misread it...

Send it off again, to

bluehead__69@yahoo.com as well (Me)

Without the underscores...

Arken

Explorer
Uriel said:
Well, it looks like we (LEW) are about to have the discussion about Ressurection...personally I have always hated it.

K-B, I was just curious: Why did you decide to attack the Druid?

Though is saddens me to whack a character, my opinion is moot in this.
The other players, however,have been discussing things here; you may have wanted to post something here first,before lobbing a water balloon (It will have about as much effect) at the Druid.
I'm just a bit confused. Your last post (before the one today)mentioned getting to Troi and trying to stabalize him against the Poison, while the one that you made a little while ago pretty much dooms him to die.
Yes, you guys will most likely slay the Druid easily, but at the price of Troi's life.

Sarcasm unintended.

ditto :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads