(Discussion) General Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kangaxx

First Post
Creamsteak said:
It's not a big fuss, I was just curious. And I was responding to GW with respect to the xp award for the party that was on the adventure I was running.

GW wanted to know if he hadn't recieved 100 xp for each month of his adventures, and should have (which he should have), not whether he should get experience for just creating a character x months ago and then spending time in the tavern. It's 100 experience points per real-time month of an adventure, that's all.

But, I'm ameniable to the concept. If I recall correctly, and I'm pretty unsure on this, the judges just agreed to this ad-hock when Mithreander's first game had been a few months dead. I think that some thought should probably be given to whether this ammount should scale (perhaps with level, or perhaps with total time), and if we should change it from experience from adventuring to experience for times spent playing LEW? And if it scaled, would it scale in diminishing returns or would the amount increase to help characters level more quickly? (with the later, it would take 200 months to reach level 20 if all your character did was, for instance, manage their own tavern or work for a guild or the city with no actual "challenges" that would normally acrue xp).

Honestly, I think giving xp for idle time is a bad idea. I just didn't want to remove my own xp if the rule was already in place. It would be nice for characters like Nielan who actually were stuck in the tavern. However it would also encourage people to make extra characters and just stow them in the tavern to get xp, and differentiating the two would be hard. Having it scale with total time has the same problem. Having it scale by character level would avoid encouraging metagaming like the other ideas, but it would also remove the 'closing the level gap' effect of the bonus which you mentioned a few posts ago, so I could go either way on that one.

Erekose13

Explorer
I would think that idle time spent by the player playing IC in the inn, or time spent on any adventure should be worth xp. I mean 200 months? Thats like over 16 years of just hanging out in the tavern. If someone were that dedicated to LEW and stayed on that long, then heck sure go for it. I mean even 10 months of real time is a long time for a game. The game that I started in (GW's Hunt for Pirates) started last Oct. and I feel like we have been on it for a long time, but really it has only been what 8 months.

Manzanita

First Post
I think it would be a bad idea to assign XP for time in the Inn. For one thing, you'd have to go back for all the existing PCs and assign them experience points for time spent there. Too complicated. PCs do seem to go up levels fairly rapidly here, in PbP terms. I don't see why we need to give it for time spent chatting in an inn.

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
Speaking of earning XP in the tavern...

I've got a question and a suggestion about the laws of Orussus and how we want to do things there. The question occured because it seems like a couple of PCs in the tavern want to "take it outside," and things may be heated enough to do so in a lethal fashion (not in the coup-de-grace sense necessarily but in the sense neither will be shy about knocking the other person below 0 hp and will be disinclined to stabalize them afterwards). I can't speak for the players/characters in question, but it's a possibility and since I've been watching this conflict develop for a while now I've been thinking about how it'll go down.

I can't recall if this (Player versus player conflict within city limits) has happened before now, but I don't think so. Obviously there are legal problems with brawling in the streets, but many a midieval culture- especially fantasy ones- has some sort of dueling procedure. I'd reccomend that Orussus be one of those cities, if only so there's some legal framework for inter-character fights that doesn't involve the watch throwing both parties in the lockup. :)

I've got an idea in my head for a pair of orginizations that would be in charge of duelling. One would be the longstanding aristocratic duelling society filled with tradition, honor, and forms. You need some form of credentials to get them to run a duel for you, and you have to jump through the hoops. The other would be more recent and more proleterian, it's legality secured through dubious means (i.e, thieves' guild linked), and involve a higher chance of dirty tricks, fixed games, and lots of profit for the orginization itself through gambling and selling tickets to big events.

I'll write this up as a formal proposal soon, to be yay or nayed, but I thought I'd bring up the general idea of single player character versus single player character within the confines of the city and see what the thoughts were. Should Orussus ban it all? Ban it within the city, forcing those who would duel to ride outside it's borders? Allow it with tight rules? Loose rules? Brawling in the streets?

Pbartender

First Post
I think that, regardless of any organizations that condone the practice, the city authorities would probably look at it thusly...

So long as the combatants are discreet about their dueling, the authorities will turn a blind eye to the practice, especially if a gratuity is involved.

What that means is duels should take place somewhere that is out of sight and in a manner that does not endanger others or result in the destruction of property. Thieves' Guild brawls might take place in a back alley at midnight, or in a secret cellar, or in an abandoned warehouse. Fencing Association duels might take place on a sward outside of the city, or down shore on the beach, or in the Association's sparring room, or as a public tournament-style venue with spectators and betting.

Brawling in the streets, bar fights, and ride-by ensorcelings will likely get you in trouble with the town guard.

Attachments

• 02_tn.jpg
    02_tn.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

Knight Otu

First Post
I think it's been some time since we last had a list like that. I'm not 100% sure it is correct, but it seems there are currently 109 characters (ignoring activity and approval status), with the following breakdown:

Alignment <109>

LG 14
LN 9
LE 4
NG 15
N 19
NE 3
CG 30
CN 12
CE 1
??? 2 (Kahuna Burger)

Class <115 - 6/109>
Aristocrat 1
Barbarian 9
Bard 7
Cleric 15
Druid 4
Fighter 19
Monk 3
Paladin 6
Ranger 12
Rogue 19
Sorcerer 5
Wizard 15

/Multiclass <6>
-Aristocrat/Fighter 1
-Bard/Ranger 1
-Rogue/Fighter 3
-Sorcerer/Rogue 1

/Specialization <15>
-Abjurer 1
-Conjurer 1
-Diviner 2
-Evoker 1
-Illusionist 1
-Necromancer 5
-None 4

Race <109>
Dwarf, (Hill) 10
Dwarf, Mountain 1
Elf, (High) 9
Elf, Grey 3
Elf, Wood 1
Gnome 5
Goblin 2
Goblin, Mountain 1
Half-Elf 6
Half-Orc 7
Halfling, (Lightfoot) 9
Halfling, Deep 2
Halfling, Tallfellow 1
Human 50
Kobold 1
Orc 1

Deity <113 - 4/109>
Amoralist 1
Antonidas of Drevin 3
Chennet' 2
Emanual/Pelor 1
Geoth 1
Gliran 1
Grendath 11
Hyrag 3
Jareth 1
Mongrel 4
Mortalist 2
None/None Listed/Large Group 68
Phyrah 7
Sela 1
Shural 1
Taka 1
Trade God 1
Verdante 4

/Deity Combinations <4>
-Geoth and Taka 1
-Grendath, Phyrah and Mongrel 1
-Grendath and Phyrah 1
-Sela and Verdante 1

DM-Rocco

Explorer
Okay, too late, that tricky rogue Cain tried to attack me while walking out of the Inn of the Red Dragon, I was prepared for such a move, but he thinks he gets a surprise round and a first attack. Now not only do we need a judge for the fight, but also rules or whatever to apply to Cain for starting a fight in the bar. It is a bit messy. I even started a thread for the duel out of town, but he did not want to wait.

crueldespot

First Post
As anyone who reads the posts can see clearly, The fight is not taking place INSIDE the bar.

It seems that Rocco is trying to set a record for the number of threads that can be tied up with one argument. Counting this topic, we are now up to 4.

We definitely need a DM to take control of the situation. We were both in Goblin King's Croc hunt adventure, so Goblin King seems the logical choice to referee the fight.

Creamsteak

Explorer
I don't have much time right now, so I've stickied the next subject, the Learner. It might be up for a bit longer than usual since I'm a bit occupied this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads