DISCUSSION: Have you ever had to boot somebody from a game?

I had to boot a guy recently. The final straw were some blatantly misogynistic comments coupled with a disrespectful one towards me. I sent him an email that was short and to the point, telling him that effectively immediately, he was not a part of this gaming group. He responded wanting a list of actual issues, presumably so he could try to debate his way back into the group. I told him it wasn’t up for debate and that was that.

But really, he earned getting kicked out of the group thrice over. Showed up around two hours late to every session. Would deliberately bog the game down every chance he could get, whether with an inane in-game argument with an NPC or trying to reinterpret rules that were crystal clear. Smelled bad and had generally poor hygiene.

Like, how do people leave the house that much of a mess? I’ve got another player at my open table that has terrible hygiene. He’s got some physical and mental disabilities, but it’s getting bad enough that I’m thinking about saying something.

Three times...

First time was waaaay back in the early 90's. Had a guy who was a DM...the kind of DM who greatly enjoys killing off characters, taking glee when he does something to "outsmart" the players, etc. Not a fun guy to play with. Well, I gave him a chance to play in one of my games, making it very clear that disruptions would not be tolerated in game. So, of course, he creates an evil character. The rest of the party is good/neutral. Every time, in game, he would do something evil and/or criminal, I would ask him, "Are you sure you want to do that?" Basically, gave him enough rope to hang himself with. So, finally (and I forget what he did), he got caught...authorities show up. He tries to get the party to help him out...none of them will. He's captured and is later beheaded. The player didn't want to play anymore.

Second time was the girlfriend of a friend of mine. She was playing a cleric, but refused to heal anyone because, "It's against my player's motivation." Yet, she wouldn't provide said motivation. After her character was ambushed by a bunch of assassins, the rest of the party refused to assist. The player didn't want to play anymore.

You're noticing a theme here, I'm guessing.

Third time was more recent. I'm gaming with a group of players I've been playing with for years in an online game. Recent addition decided to play this completely anti-social player who would not listen and would always do his own thing. So, during one session, the group is trying to get some information from a shopkeeper in Gracklstugh, asking questions in character. So the guy suddenly goes full nerd rage for no reason, talking about "meta-gaming" and yelling about how no one was in character. He left the game on his own...still don't quite know what that was about.

Ezequielramone

Explorer
I booted one politically. He was screaming what he wanted, was angry for difficult encounters, for easy encounters, for having to cooperate, for others not cooperating with him. Extreme selfish character, etc. First I talked with every player (they all felt the same) then I asked him to stop coming, he wasn't welcome anymore.
I have other person I didn't wanted to play with anymore. He only cared about being the most powerful and screamed at other players when they did something fun instead of something tactical, he even read the adventure in advance in order to know better what to do and where the lot was. Sadly this behaviour bloomed at the end of our campaign so we dealt with him. After that I started playing on a new group (with more or less people from the same group of friends) it was great because it was a good mix of people. Sadly "this guy was invited" later I have to quit after a few games. I don't want to specify the details for my was too much, other players just made fun of him. That DM is still writing me for the problems with that player.

Never. I either play with a group of trusted friends that I always have great games with, or I temporarily visit acquaintance's games where I don't have the social capital to boot anyone even if I want to.

Oofta

Legend
Like a lot of people, the ones that don't fit in seem to leave of their own accord. I did have one guy who thought he was a werewolf. As in, believed he turned furry when there was a full moon.

I just didn't invite him to the next game after he explained this (with his wife fully supporting him). He never contacted me about the next game so I figure he found a squirrel to chase or something.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I play with old friends. We started the game 4 years ago. So I've been lucky to not have the myriad of problems listed here.

Like a lot of people, the ones that don't fit in seem to leave of their own accord. I did have one guy who thought he was a werewolf. As in, believed he turned furry when there was a full moon.

I just didn't invite him to the next game after he explained this (with his wife fully supporting him). He never contacted me about the next game so I figure he found a squirrel to chase or something.

That's what you think...

y1qLOaN.jpg

Zardnaar

Legend
I booted a couple recently. The stereotypical CN PC they were CN players. one of them in particular was annoying. They did nto really understand the rules and would do things like make PC with 12 strength (as a front line melee PC), and run away all the time in fights leaving the squishies undefended. He would also try and deliberately trigger traps that would hurt other PCs as well as himself.

Usually played spellcasters and he would always hang back as far as he could and only used spells for things like shield and misty step (to run away better) so he was worse than useless he was directly or indirectly undermining the other PCs. His friend and wife acted the same way when he was around so bye bye to all of them

Shiroiken

Legend
I have had to boot players before, and it's never fun. It's probably the worst part of being a DM, even when they deserve it. I have had a player who cheated like crazy (gave himself extra xp and abilities, and never failed a saving throw), another who refused to play well with others, one who felt that his job as a player was to ruin my campaign/adventure plots, several edgelords, and one ass-hat who ruined any other PC who dared to have better ability scores than him.

Zardnaar

Legend
I have had to boot players before, and it's never fun. It's probably the worst part of being a DM, even when they deserve it. I have had a player who cheated like crazy (gave himself extra xp and abilities, and never failed a saving throw), another who refused to play well with others, one who felt that his job as a player was to ruin my campaign/adventure plots, several edgelords, and one ass-hat who ruined any other PC who dared to have better ability scores than him.

I miss the 90's my players would actually hit players like that. One kept talking over everyone and the DM and he caught a dice box with his face. Another one discovered the "dead arm" concept. 3 players were also female including one of my players sister so if anyone harassed them they would have got hit as well.

Can't really do that anymore but physical violence (or the threat of it) tended to have people act more polite/quieter.

Remove ads