• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Disengage

keterys

First Post
It takes your action, and (since there's no "Tumble" skill or similar) it's one of the few appropriate ways to slip through / past blockers.

It's kinda okay for it to be effective at the one thing it's intended to do.

SithlordRPGA

First Post
I could be just me as I am waiting for all the books to come out before we start playing 5th, however this seems really really good. Almost feat good.
Like I said I have not played 5th yet just taking the time to read through the rules.

I could be just me as I am waiting for all the books to come out before we start playing 5th, however this seems really really good. Almost feat good.
Like I said I have not played 5th yet just taking the time to read through the rules.

Most things in 5e are really, really good. That's why they are more or less balanced against each other.*

* Speaking of casual balance, not nitty gritty super-mathemagical optimogrification balance.

Syntallah

First Post

The only thing Disengage does is prevent movement related OAs. Since the only time you provoke OA is when you leave reach, it doesn't happen nearly the same amount of time as in earlier editions. And speaking of which, any rogue worth his salt had max ranks in the Tumble skill, and was thus nearly immune to movement related OAs with a mere skill...

So, it really isn't all that powerful.

SithlordRPGA

First Post
OK still a little hung up on old 3.5 OA for stepping up to someone with reach. Since that is now gone I can see your point.

However the action does pretty much the Polearm master feat useless.

Syntallah

First Post
OK still a little hung up on old 3.5 OA for stepping up to someone with reach. Since that is now gone I can see your point.

However the action does pretty much the Polearm master feat useless.

No, Disengage counters a portion of Polearm Master. A Readied Action counters Disengage. One or two of those and that pesky rogue will move on to other, easier targets...

Li Shenron

Legend
We had this discussion yesterday. Our DM put emphasis on the term disengage. It's meant the leave a fight, not to move around with impunity. We'll just go with that... *shrug*

It's meant for both, I think Mearls or Thompson mentioned this a long time ago. But it's ok if your DM restricts it to only retreating.

Remove ads