D&D 5E Disintegrate and power word kill IN SWORDS

Hussar

Legend
I gotta admit, I like the quickness weapon - unlimited attacks at disadvantage until you miss. That's a LOT of fun for a party. Makes for some seriously swingy combats, but, heck, it's a dice fest. Also makes it one HELL of a deadly weapon against low AC targets. It's not all that hard to get a +10 or so attack bonus (or thereabouts) so anything that's up to about 13 AC is going to get absolutely pummeled by this thing. Zombie obliterator.

More often?! Someone with 10 HD(10th level) will automatically kill everything he hits that has 30 hit points or less with no save. That's very often and I think a bit overpowered.
For once we have cool things for fighter!
OP is relative to play style and storyline.
This Death metal sword would be a nice power for a legendary sword like Stormbringer.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
For once we have cool things for fighter!
No. Just no. Magic items as "cool things for fighter" = fail. First, they work for anyone. Second, fighters deserve their own class abilities to make them cool.
OP is relative to play style and storyline.
That's true. I'd never let a sword work like that in my game unless the group was 20th level and the campaign end was nigh. For a short time as a planned thing, it would be okay. For someone else it could fit right in.

Or else I'd attach a negative to the sword, like the temporary loss of a con point whenever the power triggers as the sword draws upon the wielder's life energy to trigger its power. Or something else similar.
This Death metal sword would be a nice power for a legendary sword like Stormbringer.
With some modifications, yeah. As it stands, the sword doesn't give the wielder str and con the way Stormbringer did for Elric.

More often?! Someone with 10 HD(10th level) will automatically kill everything he hits that has 30 hit points or less with no save. That's very often and I think a bit overpowered.

I disagree. I think its powerful (certainly) but not over-powered, actually I'd argue its very well balanced. One character I'm currently playing is a Level 6 Fighter and I'm averaging about 15-20 points on a hit (greatsword).

The Death Metal ability is basically like saying you would auto-crit if the attack would kill the opponent.

A Flametongue sword is probably overall a better damage dealer against higher HP opponents.

It should probably count as a Very Rare/Legendary item, but the HD x 3 scaling is spot on, even for lower level play.

Remove ads