• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Disintegrate + Glyph of Warding + Demiplane. HELP WITH POWER GAMER

Mephista

Adventurer
I have to agree that Plane Shift is really the linchpin here. If its as monster critical to the story, then it should have legendary resistance. Or at least a Contingency spell to get them to safety.

Really, who's he going to use this once-a-month set up on? It takes an ungodly amount of preparation to set up. And then, at level 17, you can cast planeshift three times a day (using your 9th level spell slot!), and need to succeed on a melee spell attack, and then make a charisma save. Yes, by all means, lets have the squishy caster come up to melee and say hi.

Seems vastly dangerous and time consuming, even if we ignore the component cost. Who's he going to death trap? BBEGs and other important figures should have safeguards against this kind of thing. At least, until players beat past the guards...

Stalker0

Legend
I think the summary is this:

1) this is an expensive set up in terms of time if not money (since you don’t use components).

2) Agsinst the monsters this is worthy of, its still takes work to plane shift them in.

So that said, it doesn’t seem broken, and I actually think it’s a cool setup. I’d allow it

DeXodus

First Post
I would agree with most of the posts. You should award players for creativity and it is creative way. Make your monster so it can have enough legendary resistances to counter him or give the monster advantages of saving throw. I would still make it extremely hard but possible to pull off.

jgsugden

Legend
There are a lot of high level situations where a failed save is effectively death for an enemy, regardless of how many hps, defenses or what not they have. They start around 4th level. If I polymorph you into something that is helpless, I can find ways to dispose of you, pretty much no matter what you are (Demiplane is an example - drop something without planeshifting abilities in a demiplane when you have it polymorphed into a worm and then let it starve, etc...)

Don't sweat it.

Gwarok

Explorer
So I'm running a homebrew campaign 5th edition, and one of my players is a...bit of an optimizer. Long story short, he found a way to deal several THOUSAND damage by way og spell storing a demi plane, lininging the demi plane with disintegrates, and sending people into the space thus triggering all the glyphs.

The problem exists with the ability to stack Glyphs endlessly, put a reasonable limit on that and you should be ok. The first time I read it and saw that there was no stated limit on how many you can use it jumped off the page. Find something of a compromise, I hate when DM's just reflexively rule something can't be done just because it makes their lives a bit easier. I think limiting glyphsy to 1 per 5 foot square is reasonable, or something along those lines.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
There are a lot of high level situations where a failed save is effectively death for an enemy, regardless of how many hps, defenses or what not they have. They start around 4th level. If I polymorph you into something that is helpless, I can find ways to dispose of you, pretty much no matter what you are (Demiplane is an example - drop something without planeshifting abilities in a demiplane when you have it polymorphed into a worm and then let it starve, etc...)

Don't sweat it.

Poly morph enemy into a crab with 12 ac -6 str and a 20ft movement. The next turn do a grapple check and up the enemy in your back of holding. Enemy sufficates turns, back into what ever they were, sufficates again, and in a couple of hours the player pulls the corps out and loots the body. So yep ... defiantly not the only save or die spell trick in the game.

Remove ads