• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Disintegrate

Trine

First Post
Probably the variant rule that's in the DMG for missile fire going stray.

That said, whatever logic you want to apply to this, disintegrate does not, by the published rules in the PHB, destroy the armor of whoever the ray hits. The exception would be if they roll a one on their saving throw.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
AuraSeer said:

Well, this is a case of the pot telling the kettle about its attitude problem.

For somebody who's been registered for less than a month, you have a lot of nerve telling anyone whether they're "welcome" or not. Especially when the other poster has been around for over a year more than you.

::plonk::

Ah so as long as I have senority I can be an ass to people on the boards, good to know.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Shard O'Glase said:
Ah so as long as I have senority I can be an ass to people on the boards, good to know.
No, you shouldn't be an ass to anyone.
You especially shouldn't be an ass when you're new somewhere, unless you're actively seeking a bad first impression.

You most especially should not tell someone he's "not welcome" in a place, if he has been around for months, and you have (apparently) arrived too recently to know what's acceptable.

And that's all I have to say on the subject.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
A couple of games ago the evil wizard launched a ray at the PC wizard, unfortunately (from my point of view) missing her (I rolled a 1). I could have said that the ray fizzled and disappeared. What I actually said was "the ray strikes the tower wall behind you and with a fizzing sound a 10ft section of wall vanishes into dust". PC gulps and thanks his lucky stars, other PC's gird their loins, with a better idea of the calibre of foe they are fighting.

Ranged attack spells that continue past a target which they miss are just more fun!

Cheers

Shard O'Glase

First Post
AuraSeer said:

You most especially should not tell someone he's "not welcome" in a place, if he has been around for months, and you have (apparently) arrived too recently to know what's acceptable.

But he didn't say he wasn't welcome here. He said his attitude wasn't welcome, you know the attitude where the guy said you have issues, and your idea of reality is kind of scary.

Or is he just supposed to take insults and others being an ass to him just because he's new.

And in the end he still was polite about it. All he basically said was leave the attitude at home if you want to discuss things.

DreamChaser

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:

Um, that is the mechanic for hitting other creatures in melee with a missed ranged attack.

Unless they're grappling, the only way you can accidentally hit the wrong person with an arrow is if a/ they're providing your target with cover, b/ you miss your target's AC by a number less than or equal to the cover bonus the person is providing, and c/ the attack roll is sufficient to beat the interposing person's AC.

That's the exact mechanic the Sage is using to determine if the wrong thing is hit with a Ray.

Which mechanic did you have in mind?

-Hyp.

My bad...I misremembered the rule. Thats the one.

DC

Norfleet

First Post
On a related note, I think it would be rather nice if, rather than the fighter being disintegrated, leaving dusty armor to clunk to the floor mysteriously unharmed, that the armor was disintegrated, leaving the fighter standing there in his underoos.

It's funny, and not nearly as lame as "save or die".

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Norfleet said:
It's funny, and not nearly as lame as "save or die".
It's also significantly underpowered for its spell level. You turned it into a 6th-level duplicate of phantasmal killer-- except that your version of disintegrate is even weaker than PK, because it requires two attack rolls and takes 2 actions to complete. (Even that is for a target wearing only one layer of protection. If he wears a surcoat over his armor, do I need yet another casting of the spell?)

Remove ads