• I'll be in my bunk (Yes)

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Serenity Curry

Votes: 11 21.2%

Omand

Hero
Ummm....did you see the movie? I'm guessing you meant reavers not ravagers, and the movie established how they came to be and Joss has confirmed the nonexistence of aliens in this particular universe, which is also set in a single star system. None of what you suggest sounds remotely like Firefly and sounds more like a mish-mash of different sci-fi shows.
@trappedslider I have found that LuisCarlos is all about throwing together all universes into one, no matter what genre or topic you are talking about. For D&D he wants a every single setting rebooted in a Crisis of Infinite Earths style crossover event caused by chronomancers (some sort of time travel accident pulls everything together). For Sci-Fi he evidently wants every major franchise pulled together as well.

You can try reasoning that these things cannot occur due to the reasons you have given, but he appears unlikely to be swayed.

Cheers :)

You are right about a "mish-mash" of different ideas. Why not? The future of the entertaiment industry is the multimedia franchises. Firefly can't be only a space wester because other companies also can produce their own titles with the same formule.

Maybe Firefly was a good serie, but sci-fi gets old fastly, and its universe was not enough "sandbox" for roleplayers, not if it compared with other IPs. It is not so fun if you are not Serenity crew or a rip-off.

And today lots of no-Chinese Asians wouldn't confortable if Chinese culture is too present in the reboot but others don't (not only Japan and Korea). I mean the no-Chinese Asias could ask their own positive discrimination quota.

My suggestion for Disney+ is adapting Alien Legion by the seal "Epic Comics", Jim Starlin's Dreadstar or "the Swords of the Swashbucklers" by Bill Mantlo. These IPs are easier to sell merchadising as toys, comics....

Ryujin

Legend
You are right about a "mish-mash" of different ideas. Why not? The future of the entertaiment industry is the multimedia franchises. Firefly can't be only a space wester because other companies also can produce their own titles with the same formule.

Maybe Firefly was a good serie, but sci-fi gets old fastly, and its universe was not enough "sandbox" for roleplayers, not if it compared with other IPs. It is not so fun if you are not Serenity crew or a rip-off.

And today lots of no-Chinese Asians wouldn't confortable if Chinese culture is too present in the reboot but others don't (not only Japan and Korea). I mean the no-Chinese Asias could ask their own positive discrimination quota.

My suggestion for Disney+ is adapting Alien Legion by the seal "Epic Comics", Jim Starlin's Dreadstar or "the Swords of the Swashbucklers" by Bill Mantlo. These IPs are easier to sell merchadising as toys, comics....
The "space western" and limited scope are part of the property's charm. Change that and it's not the same show, nor is it even in the same storytelling universe. In that case just make another series with all of those elements and not call it anything related to "Firefly."

It's like trying to run a D&D campaign that ranges from medieval fantasy to Sci-Fi when there's already a perfectly good RPG (TORG) to fill that role ;)

so you want something new,not Firefly got it.

Omand

Hero

@LuisCarlos17f I have gathered that English is not your primary language, so I think one thing is getting lost in translation in our discussions.

Multimedia does not mean that you take every genre and mash it together to make the future of entertainment. Multimedia means that you produce a property (Firefly, Star Wars, D&D) in several different types of media (film, television, computer games, RPG, etc.).

You may know this, but the post I have quoted seems to indicate you think that Firefly/Serenity has to be mashed up into something else because that is multimedia, that only being a space western is not enough for multimedia.

Cheers :)

Edited - Spelling and Grammar

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I am quite doubtful that it will be any good, barring really good cast chemistry.

Right cast and writers might work.

Um, folks, you missed a thing - this is a COMIC BOOK series. Not TV. There is no cast.

"A Brand New Verse is being written by Josh Lee Gordon, with artwork by Fabiana Mascolo, and cover art by Qustina Khalidah. It is set to hit stores on March 10, 2021."

1609043607898.png

1609043642786.png

Is it better to say "transmedia franchise"?

---

It's true, English isn't my mother tongue/first language.

I don't mind if the name is ravager or reavers. The fact is I can't believe a group of mad men can drive a space ship but using some dummies-proof technology. If you have played some strategy game you know the impact of the wear. And the reavers aren't the type of people who can survive enough for at least three generations.

I didn't talk about aliens in the Firefly universe but about people who believe in the existence of aliens. That is an important aspect.

And today the "Alliance/Union of Allied Planets" may be potentially politically incorrect. It is not only by the bad relations between Chinese, Japanese and Sourth-Koreans, but also in the 2021 the public opinion will think different things about China because there are happening some facts in our real life.

I am not against the trope of evil megacorporation but the abuse of this.

Maybe you are right, if the changes are too much it is better to star from zero with a new franchise as a spiritual succesor.

We can't forget the high-tech, for example robots who nanotechnology to repair airships, 3D-printers and LED light for underground farming, allowing hidden "dungeons" as post-apocalypse bunkers. Or the secret of eternal youth being discovered, thanks the regenation of the telomeres (you can imagine the social impact when you end the university but you can't find a job because nobody retires), or "the club of the inmortals", important people whose minds are upoloaded to a high-tech server.

---

It's true, English isn't my mother tongue/first language.

I don't mind if the name is ravager or reavers. The fact is I can't believe a group of mad men can drive a space ship but using some dummies-proof technology. If you have played some strategy game you know the impact of the wear. And the reavers aren't the type of people who can survive enough for at least three generations.

I didn't talk about aliens in the Firefly universe but about people who believe in the existence of aliens. That is an important aspect.

And today the "Alliance/Union of Allied Planets" may be potentially politically incorrect. It is not only by the bad relations between Chinese, Japanese and Sourth-Koreans, but also in the 2021 the public opinion will think different things about China because there are happening some facts in our real life.

I am not against the trope of evil megacorporation but the abuse of this.

Maybe you are right, if the changes are too much it is better to star from zero with a new franchise as a spiritual succesor.

We can't forget the high-tech, for example robots who nanotechnology to repair airships, 3D-printers and LED light for underground farming, allowing hidden "dungeons" as post-apocalypse bunkers. Or the secret of eternal youth being discovered, thanks the regenation of the telomeres (you can imagine the social impact when you end the university but you can't find a job because nobody retires), or "the club of the inmortals", important people whose minds are upoloaded to a high-tech server.
Yeah that's not Firefly which is a space western.
fom wiki Firefly is an American space Western drama,I think you said you haven't seen it...you should check it out. Because you keep tossing out ideas that have almost nothing to do with Firefly.

Some of what you said has more to do with Alter Carbon than Firefly.

Ryujin

Legend

A multimedia franchise is a production that ties in different mediums, in order to expand upon the basic story. It can use traditional broadcast media, internet streaming, virtual reality, games..... That doesn't really apply to Firefly. The only SciFi show that I can currently think of that this label would apply to, is "Defiance." That was a Science Fiction series that was filmed in Toronto (the sets, down along the lake front, were rather amazing). It was not just a TV series but also a video game and things that happened in the video game were incorporated into the story for TV.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases