• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Disney's disastrous year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three steps to becoming a Tech Billionaire:

1 - Inherit an emerald mine
you know i just looked into that

TL,DR :
we were unable to find any evidence that showed money generated from his father's involvement in the mine helped Elon build his wealth in North America.

Despite silver Thursday, there was a silver rush resurgence in the early aughts. I remember a lot of libertarian types saying that the economy would collapse Mad Max style and only silver and gold would be worth anything...
Then one of the middle east countries dumped their sliver holdings and made the price drop like a rock

Ryujin

Legend
you know i just looked into that

TL,DR :
we were unable to find any evidence that showed money generated from his father's involvement in the mine helped Elon build his wealth in North America.
There are a couple of articles I've read where his father would disagree. Maybe he just wants to take credit for his successful son, or maybe something that generates millions of dollars really does give you a bit of a leg-up?

There are a couple of articles I've read where his father would disagree. Maybe he just wants to take credit for his successful son, or maybe something that generates millions of dollars really does give you a bit of a leg-up?
Well the snopes article goes really in depth, you should read it.

I'm all for vilifying the villainous but let's make sure we got the story right.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Well the snopes article goes really in depth, you should read it.

I'm all for vilifying the villainous but let's make sure we got the story right.

But what's the story?

If you look through the article and read closely, you'll notice something. It's almost entirely sourced from what people say. Because there aren't public records of these things.

What do we know? Well, we know that his dad didn't help him. Or maybe he did. But maybe with just, you know, rounds of angel investing. And letting him have emeralds to sell in NYC. And his dad didn't own an emerald mine. He owned a portion of an emerald mine. Or maybe it was just the rights to an emerald mine, that he happened upon when he was flying around in his plane. But maybe it was just the rights to get a lot of emeralds for a while ... you know, because you don't want that documented ... besides, that was just (apparently) some of the emeralds he was getting. From other places, unspecified, that weren't mines? Maybe.

But that's okay, because Elon supports his family completely, because his dad doesn't have any money. Or maybe Elon doesn't provide any money to his dad, because he won't talk to him, because his dad fathered some kids with Elon's stepdaughter. But that's okay, because his dad does have money, just not as much as before ... but that definitely didn't come from emeralds. Or something. Despite the yachts and private planes and everything else.

Seriously, there are so many lies that at this point, you can't even get the story left. Good luck getting it right.

Seriously, there are so many lies that at this point, you can't even get the story left. Good luck getting it right.
Guess it's easier to go with the self made bad guy isn't REALLY self made and is instead just a bad guy

but enough crap about elon, this is going on:

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Guess it's easier to go with the self made bad guy isn't REALLY self made and is instead just a bad guy

Look, here's the issue I have with this. Let's ignore how much, if anything, Musk Senior invested in Elon. Let's just assume that it was only angel investing, which Elon has admitted to (and which allowed him to start his first company). Let's also ignore connections through his dad, and the charming, "I just pawned off some emeralds NYC" stories. Let's also assume that Elon never had any reason to hide any financial involvement. Fair?

From the article-
After Maye and Errol divorced in 1980, Elon mostly lived with his father, who says he owned thoroughbred horses, a yacht, several houses and a Cessna. One of their homes was in Waterkloof, a leafy suburb of Pretoria that was popular with foreign diplomats.

Wanderlust ran on both sides of the family. On holidays, Errol and his kids would travel, he said: to Europe, Hong Kong, throughout the United States.

Now, I don't know about you, but I certainly think that growing up in that type of household provides you certain advantages that not everyone has. He was able to access computers and start programming at the age of 10 at home, when that wasn't exactly common. He attended the best private schools in South Africa. Then, because of his connections through his mother, he was able to move to Canada and go to Univrsity there.

Look, the guy clearly hustled and made a ton of money- although a lot of the mythology that came later really oversells his contributions. But that happens. Pretending that someone born into this situation is just a humble self-made man is ... pushing it.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Look, here's the issue I have with this. Let's ignore how much, if anything, Musk Senior invested in Elon. Let's just assume that it was only angel investing, which Elon has admitted to (and which allowed him to start his first company). Let's also ignore connections through his dad, and the charming, "I just pawned off some emeralds NYC" stories. Let's also assume that Elon never had any reason to hide any financial involvement. Fair?

From the article-
After Maye and Errol divorced in 1980, Elon mostly lived with his father, who says he owned thoroughbred horses, a yacht, several houses and a Cessna. One of their homes was in Waterkloof, a leafy suburb of Pretoria that was popular with foreign diplomats.

Wanderlust ran on both sides of the family. On holidays, Errol and his kids would travel, he said: to Europe, Hong Kong, throughout the United States.

Now, I don't know about you, but I certainly think that growing up in that type of household provides you certain advantages that not everyone has. He was able to access computers and start programming at the age of 10 at home, when that wasn't exactly common. He attended the best private schools in South Africa. Then, because of his connections through his mother, he was able to move to Canada and go to Univrsity there.

Look, the guy clearly hustled and made a ton of money- although a lot of the mythology that came later really oversells his contributions. But that happens. Pretending that someone born into this situation is just a humble self-made man is ... pushing it.
Many people in similar or better situations don’t perform nearly to Elon’s level. Yea he had alot of advantages compared to Joe Blow, but he didn’t have any more advantages than other elites and he’s much more successful than most of them. Maybe we write it off as sheer luck, but trying to say it’s just because his family advantages rings pretty hollow too.

The truth is somewhere in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads