Disney's making 10 Star Wars and 10 Marvel TV shows

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
It might be a different building but it's likely owned by the same company. And those companies are in deep trouble.

They are the landlord.

And as for the theaters, who are the tenants...

Warner Bros. shook the hell out of the industry last week with its streaming announcement.

If the mall goes under, it takes the theater with it. There are only a handful of companies surviving: Amazon, Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Home Depot, Lowe's. These are big box stores that are surviving by torpedoing brick-and-mortar, which is starting to shift to a fulfillment center model.

You need foot traffic for traditional storefronts. Fulfillment centers don't provide any foot traffic. And without the foot traffic, you lose the storefronts. Without the storefronts, you lose rental income. Without rental income, you can't pay the mortgage on the property.

And then the mall goes under, taking the theater down.

This is the natural flowing consequence of overbuilding from the 90s.

I'll be honest with you...

Right now, I'm in my office, derping on the internet. Instead of suing people. Why? Because my clients, who are banks, don't want me suing people to collect what's due. Because they know that right now, those people don't have the money.

Something bad is coming. And a lot of stalwart chains might not survive it. Including movie theaters.
So, the one theater that is on the same city block as the mall might go under, or might not, depending on who buys the property if the mall goes under. Okay.

Meanwhile, the half dozen other theaters in town are not attached to any mall. At least one isn’t a tenant but owns it’s own property, and it’s parking lot full of solar, and the property rented by 5-6 smaller local businesses.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
There are movie theatres in malls? Wild
Last one I saw closed like 10 years ago. They’re all in their own building now, here, and most serve real food, if not beer and wine, and/or have fewer, higher quality, seats.
Even without the lockdown, the mall closest to me gets more foot traffic from raccoons than from people.
Whereas in my city, the one mall that has always been here is still (relatively) poppin even with the lockdown, between the target and the restaurants and the shops that can be accessed from outside. Before the new stay at home order, it was almost back to normal. Scarily so.

Wolfram stout

Adventurer
Supporter
I happen to agree.

Some people get burned out on the MCU (and I can't blame them). To recap- the MCU is 23 movies. Since 2007.

A series/season of American TV is 23 episodes (standard broadcast) and between 8 and 13 episodes of "premium" or "prestige" TV.

If it's all done well, that's great! I won't look a gift horse in the mouth; but there can be too much of a good thing, and you don't want to oversaturate the market.
23 movies over 13 years? How many horror movies have come out in that time? Rom-Coms?
How many hours has Grey's Anatomy gone?

Just don't see how this is over saturation.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Don't screw up Rogue Squadron. Don't screw up Rogue Squadron. Don't screw up Rogue Squadron. Don't screw up Rogue Squadron. Don't screw up Rogue Squadron. Don't screw up Rogue Squadron. In the name of the Celestial Teapot, Don't screw up Rogue Squadron.

Mercurius

Legend
I really hope we get to hear Hayden whine, "I hate you!" within the Vader costume.

On a serious note, I think this is all the sign of times, which was accelerated by COVID: movie theaters are dying. Well, at least not thriving. I would expect that major film releases will eventually be direct to stream, with perhaps HBO and others having "premium" options. To be honest, I'm surprised HBO isn't charging extra for WW 1984.

I really hope we get to hear Hayden whine, "I hate you!" within the Vader costume.

On a serious note, I think this is all the sign of times, which was accelerated by COVID: movie theaters are dying. Well, at least not thriving. I would expect that major film releases will eventually be direct to stream, with perhaps HBO and others having "premium" options. To be honest, I'm surprised HBO isn't charging extra for WW 1984.

They are, sort of. All available trial offers will expire before WW84 becomes available. So all those people watching for free, will have to pay something instead.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I also don't see what Kenobi / Vader are supposed to be doing while Luke / Leia grow up. Vader can track leads for a while. This new "Ben" guy can mess with Imperial activity nearby, until he draws attention to himself and has to go take a deep-in-the-wilderness trip. But they can never meet, barely get near to it. "I sense something. Something I haven't felt since..."
Eventually the Emperor sends Vader to deal with some other problem, and the series naturally runs out of gas.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
P. S. If Disney releases too much at once, the Sequel Trilogy scriptwriters can send in notes "Look, you have a bunch of job slots to fill and we have experience writing those kinds of stories!"

😱

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Kenobi is only supposed to be a limited series. Probably no more than 8 or 10 episodes if that many. Hopefully it won't run out of gas that quickly. It'll be the Heroes of Star Wars if it did.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases