• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

distracting ember boost

Slaved

First Post
So I was looking through the book of nine swords since it has gotten so much attention lately and I see this little gem: Distracting ember (boost).

It has a duration of End of turn. It looks like this means at the end of your turn it goes away. It also can perform no actions during your turn.

However, we look over to a little power called time hop. Time hop moves you out of the time stream for a bit and then you pop back and continue on as if no time had passed. In fact, for you no time has passed. Your end of turn has not come yet until after you get back. I think you see the point I am driving for here.

So, rules for and against having a little fire elemental buddy for a few rounds with appropriate readied actions? Especially with it being able to fight once you are taking your siesta since it is no longer during your turn.

This looks to be a very fun little combo. Who doesnt like having a small fire elemental on your side for the low, low cost of huge amounts of resources?

Slaved

First Post
Well, that is practically the definition of Oberoni Fallacy there. Or at least close enough to not need to bother with it.

starwed

First Post
On the one hand, you're claiming that the elemental doesn't go away because your turn has not ended. On the other, you're claiming that it can attack because it's not currently your turn. I kind of see a problem with this...

Well, that is practically the definition of Oberoni Fallacy there. Or at least close enough to not need to bother with it.
No reason to be so dismissive; what he says is perfectly reasonable. You didn't ask "Is this legal by RAW?" You just kind of said "hey, this is a neat trick," and he said it doesn't matter if no DM will allow it. It's not like it's broken even if it works.

Slaved

First Post
starwed said:
On the one hand, you're claiming that the elemental doesn't go away because your turn has not ended. On the other, you're claiming that it can attack because it's not currently your turn. I kind of see a problem with this...

What problem do you see? Where does this problem come from?

Your turn has not ended, it has been postponed until later and your subjective time tells you that no time passed in between. While at the same time while you are gone it is not your turn because you are not around. Both seem to fit rather well here.

starwed said:
No reason to be so dismissive; what he says is perfectly reasonable. You didn't ask "Is this legal by RAW?" You just kind of said "hey, this is a neat trick," and he said it doesn't matter if no DM will allow it. It's not like it's broken even if it works.

Actually, I did ask for rules in the first post along with this being the rules forum where, one would assume, people go because they are going to discuss the rules.

It is a neat trick and I think it is pretty funny as well. I was trying to see what rules issues people could come up with for and against it. Cant people have a little fun with the game sometimes?

As for being dismissive though he did imply that only bad dm's would allow it. That seems a little rude don't you think?

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Slaved said:
As for being dismissive though he did imply that only bad dm's would allow it. That seems a little rude don't you think?

moderator:
No, his comment wasn't rude, it was well within acceptable bounds. Your response was rather more rude, although not quite enough that I'm taking any action.

Regards

Slaved

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
moderator:
No, his comment wasn't rude, it was well within acceptable bounds. Your response was rather more rude, although not quite enough that I'm taking any action.

Regards

I am sorry to have come asking for rules help in the rules forum. I will know better from now on.

ohGr

First Post
Assuming, for the sake of argument, that this works, i really don't see how this little combo could be even the slightest bit effective after 1st or 2nd level, and certainly not by the time you gain access to time hop. You are, for all intents and purposes, replacing yourself with a CR 1 creature for a few rounds; i don't foresee many 5th level parties willing to make that trade-off.

Remove ads