Divine Challenge

Bayuer

First Post
I'm little confused here. When I use Divine Challange at the end of my round does it mean that in the next round i can choose difrent target or just atack the target to maintain the challenge or I just lose it when the turn is over. Please help.

Syrsuro

First Post
I think the answer is: Don't use Divine Challenge at the end of your round and especially don't use Divine Challenge on a target you either have not 'engaged' (attacked) or are not adjacent to at the end of your round.

Use it at the start of your round or use it on adjacent targets or use it on targets you have already engaged.

Or be prepared to argue for a house rule bringing the implementation closer to its pre-D&D experience wording (the need to engage the subject of the challenge was added, as I understand it, to prevent mark and run tactics. If you aren't going to use such tactics, the rule is not necessary imho).

By the RAW if you challenge a creature and neither engage it nor end your turn adjacent to it, the mark expires and (for no reason I can see) you are penalized by the inability to use Divine Challenge the next turn. ("Bad Paladin! The gods don't like you making ineffectual marks!")

Carl

From the DDI compendium:
Effect: You mark the target. The target remains marked until you use this power against another target, or if you fail to engage the target (see below). A creature can be subject to only one mark at a time. A new mark supersedes a mark that was already in place.

While a target is marked, it takes a –2 penalty to attack rolls for any attack that doesn't include you as a target. Also, it takes radiant damage equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier the first time it makes an attack that doesn’t include you as a target before the start of your next turn. The damage increases to 6 + your Charisma modifier at 11th level, and to 9 + your Charisma modifier at 21st level.

On your turn, you must engage the target you challenged or challenge a different target. To engage the target, you must either attack it or end your turn adjacent to it. If none of these events occur by the end of your turn, the marked condition ends and you can’t use divine challenge on your next turn.

You can use divine challenge once per turn.

The bold text should solve your problem.

If you use DC against an enemy with your minor action and that is your last action for your turn, you must be adjacent to the target of your DC or " by the end of your turn, the marked condition ends and you can’t use divine challenge on your next turn.".
If you attacked the creature prior to your marking and you are not adjacent at the end of the turn that would void your DC and you couldn't use DC next round.

Foxen

First Post
I believe the DC (Divine Challenge) and mark remains as long as you meet the conditions of DC, meaning either remaining adjacent to the target at the end of the turn OR attacking it (via melee or ranged). I don't think you need to sustain the DC with a minor action or what not...it remains active as long as you meet the conditions.

Next turn you can switch targets for your DC but again, you need to spend a minor action in order to do so. DC and mark is removed from the first target.

I may be wrong.

Fox

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases