• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Divine Ranks for Monstrous Deities

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
no kidding! :) well, we might as well use that then. know of any others like that?

some stabs in the dark to think on...

Fenmarel Mestarine (feral elves, scapegoats) - CN elven outcast - DR 7-9

Dugmaren Brightmante (scholarship, discovery, invention) - CG dwarven god of scholars - DR 6-8
Muamman Duathal (wanderers, expatriates) - NG dwarven god of adventurers and travelers - DR 7-9

Baravar Cloakshadow (illusions, protection, deception) - NG gnomish trickster - DR 8-10
Gaerdal Ironhand (protection, vigilance, combat) - LG gnomish protector god (small following) - DR 6-8
Nebelun (inventions, good luck) - CG gnomish hero god - DR 6 or 7

Brandobaris (stealth, thievery, adventuring) - N halfling master of adventure - DR 8-10

Luthic (fertility, medicine, servitude) - LE orcish servant/consort of Gruumsh - DR 7-10

Khurgorbaeyag (slavery, oppression, morale) - LE goblin lieutenant of Maglubiyet - DR 9-10
Nomog-Gaeya (war, authority) - DR 9 for this hobgoblin god as suggested above?
Bargrivyek (co-operation, territory) - LE goblin god, seen as weak by the others - DR 6-8

Grankhul (hunting, senses, surprise) - CE bugbear god of stealth - DR 7-10

Vhaerun (thievery, territory) - NE drow god, patron of male drow - DR 6-9

Diinkarazan is a demigod - my bad.

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
BOZ said:
no kidding! :) well, we might as well use that then. know of any others like that?

I wish I'd did, as it'd make our work a lot easier.

Fenmarel Mestarine (feral elves, scapegoats) - CN elven outcast - DR 7-9

I'd say 7. This is the god of outsiders and outcasts, even if it is voluntary on his part. Since, as I said above, I think the Seldarine's strength is their numbers and not their individual might, I'd say 7 suits this god well.

Dugmaren Brightmante (scholarship, discovery, invention) - CG dwarven god of scholars - DR 6-8
Muamman Duathal (wanderers, expatriates) - NG dwarven god of adventurers and travelers - DR 7-9

I'd say 8 for both. This places them firmly in the center, being that they're minor dwarven gods, but get enough worship that they're in no danger of becoming demigods while having nowhere near enough to ascend to intermediate gods.

Baravar Cloakshadow (illusions, protection, deception) - NG gnomish trickster - DR 8-10

I'd give this one a DvR of 10. Illusions and deception are staples for gnomes, so this deity should definately be at the upper end of the scale.

Gaerdal Ironhand (protection, vigilance, combat) - LG gnomish protector god (small following) - DR 6-8

I'd say 6, just because this deity seems so much more martial than I can envision most gnomes being.

Nebelun (inventions, good luck) - CG gnomish hero god - DR 6 or 7

I'd say 7, because this seems more gnomish than, sa, Gaerdal...though that might be tinker gnomes skewing my imagery. :eek:

Brandobaris (stealth, thievery, adventuring) - N halfling master of adventure - DR 8-10

I'd say 9, as this just also seems very gnomish, but not quite as holistic as Baravar.

Luthic (fertility, medicine, servitude) - LE orcish servant/consort of Gruumsh - DR 7-10

Definately 7. Gruumsh isn't the kind of god who could even contemplate a strong female consort. On the other hand, this disregard is what probably lets her scrap together a bit of power, which is why she'd be more than a mere 6.

Khurgorbaeyag (slavery, oppression, morale) - LE goblin lieutenant of Maglubiyet - DR 9-10

I'd say 10, as it seems like Maglubiyet would trust this deity a bit more than Nomog-Geaya (they're gods for the same race), but not much more (hence why only one rank higher than the hobgoblin god).

Bargrivyek (co-operation, territory) - LE goblin god, seen as weak by the others - DR 6-8

Definately 6, just because so few goblinoids think this way.

Grankhul (hunting, senses, surprise) - CE bugbear god of stealth - DR 7-10

I'd say 9, as it seems like hunting and senses would be important secondary parts of bugbear life.

Vhaerun (thievery, territory) - NE drow god, patron of male drow - DR 6-9

I disagree here. I'd go for a full DvR 10. Vhaerun is the closest down from Lolth, and although there's still a large gap in power, he's the deity for male drow, and thus is (tacitly) the patron for half of the entire race. He seems to go after most things that Lolth doesn't (the surface, thievery, male drow) so it's rational to say that he's managed to accumulate a good deal of power himself.

Krishnath

First Post
I agree with everything Alzirus said, with one exception:

Brandobaris, since this is a halfling deity of stealth, thievery, and adventuring, things that are very much in the nature of halflings, I would go with 10 on this one.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
all of that is fine by me. here are the rest of the Lesser gods:

Gzemnid (gases and fogs, obscurement, deception) CE beholder god of survival – DR 8-10

GIANTS:
Iallanis (love, mercy, beauty) NG goddess of harmony – DR 8-10
Karontar (deformity, hatred, beasts) NE giant god of the fomorians and verbeeg – DR 7-9
Vaprak (combat, greed) CE ogrish god, aka The Destroyer – DR 9-10

SEA & SKY GODS:
Quorlinn (trickery, disguise, thievery) N kenku god – DR 6-8
Remnis (giant eagles, sky, service) N giant eagle god – DR 7-9
Surminare (selkies, beauty, peace) N selkie goddess – DR 6-8
Trishina (love, fidelity, the young) LG goddess of dolphins and sea elves, consort to Deep Sashelas – DR 8-10
Water Lion (unknown) – N power, DR 6 or maybe 7 (has no known worshippers)
Stillsong (unknown, may not be a lesser power) this transitional NG god may be unratable, but if you like we can give it a try…

SCALYFOLK:
Ramenos (somnolence, intoxication, decay) CE bullywug god, slumbering – DR 6 or 7
Semuanya (survival, propagation) N lizardfolk god – DR 9-10
Aasterinian (messenger of Io) CN draconic goddess – DR 9-10
Faluzure (energy draining, undeath, decay, exhaustion) NE draconic god – DR 8-10

DARK FOLK:
Cegilune (larvae, hags, the Moon) NE hag goddess – DR 8-10
Mellifleur (lichdom, magic) NE lich god – DR 8-10
Squerrik (thievery, disguise, concealment) LE wererat god – DR 6-8
Balador (werebears, protection, fraternity) CG werebear god – DR 7-9
Ferrix (play, curiosity, hunting) N weretiger goddess – DR 6-8
Daragor (marauding beasts, bloodlust, pain) CE werewolf god – DR 9-10
Eshebala (vanity, charm, greed, cunning) CE werefox goddess – DR 8-9

SYLVAN:
Oberon (nature, wild places, animals) NG consort of Titania – DR 9-10
Damh (dance, song, celebrations) CN god of korreds, satyrs, and atomies – DR 8-9
Eachthighern (healing, loyalty, protection) CG god of unicorns and pegasi – DR 8-9
Skerrit (community, natural balances) N centaur god – DR 9-10
Verenestra (female faeries, charm, beauty) N goddess of drayds, nymphs, and sylphs – DR 8-9

Krishnath

First Post
Only two of those I have comments on:

Aasternian: The draconomicon has her listed as a demigod, so she is probably a 5 or so.

Falazure: On the other hand, is the progenitor of the Deep and Shadow dragons, as well as the draconic deity of undeath, So I would peg him at 10.

The rest, I leave to someone else.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
BOZ said:
Gzemnid (gases and fogs, obscurement, deception) CE beholder god of survival – DR 8-10

I'd go with 8 for Gzemnid. He doesn't seem like he'd get that much worship at all, since beholders don't seem prone to worship, and those that do would probably favor the Great Mother. On the other hand, he still seems like a somewhat-powerful god (he is, after all, a beholder), so I'd place him above the dead minimum needed to be a lesser deity.

GIANTS:
Iallanis (love, mercy, beauty) NG goddess of harmony – DR 8-10
Karontar (deformity, hatred, beasts) NE giant god of the fomorians and verbeeg – DR 7-9
Vaprak (combat, greed) CE ogrish god, aka The Destroyer – DR 9-10

I'd say 9 for Iallanis. Being a goddess of love and beauty for giants is enough for an 8 on its own, but I'd imagine that even evil giants might offer her a few prayers, since the more intelligent ones (frost giants, evil storm giants, etc) are often rather statuesque.

For Karontar, since both fomorians and verbeeg are lesser-known giants (and, like many other such creatures, don't seem clerically inclined), I'd go with a 7.

It seems odd to say that a god of ogres should be stronger than a god of giants, but for Vaprak, I'd say give him at least a 9, and more likely a 10. Ogres are martial and greedy, and thus they seem more likely to offer prayers to their deity. Not to mention ogres seem more omnipresent than fomorians or verbeeg.

SEA & SKY GODS:
Quorlinn (trickery, disguise, thievery) N kenku god – DR 6-8
Remnis (giant eagles, sky, service) N giant eagle god – DR 7-9
Surminare (selkies, beauty, peace) N selkie goddess – DR 6-8
Trishina (love, fidelity, the young) LG goddess of dolphins and sea elves, consort to Deep Sashelas – DR 8-10
Water Lion (unknown) – N power, DR 6 or maybe 7 (has no known worshippers)
Stillsong (unknown, may not be a lesser power) this transitional NG god may be unratable, but if you like we can give it a try…

Quorlinn seems like a 6 to me, not so much due to the rarity of kenku as the fact that (from that recent Dragon article) Pazuzu favors kenku worshippers.

I'd say give Remnis a 7. Giant eagles aren't the most numerous creatures, but they seem religiously inclined to follow their noble deity.

Surminare also seems like a 7, for pretty much the same reasons.

Trishina could be a 9, since she receives worship from sea elves and dolphins, but it doesn't seem like (in my opinion) she's near the jump to Intermediate deity.

It's very hard to judge for Water Lion since so little is known about him. Really, any DvR would work I'd imagine.

I'm not commenting on Stillsong, since that deity could be anything from a Demipower to a Greater deity.

SCALYFOLK:
Ramenos (somnolence, intoxication, decay) CE bullywug god, slumbering – DR 6 or 7
Semuanya (survival, propagation) N lizardfolk god – DR 9-10
Aasterinian (messenger of Io) CN draconic goddess – DR 9-10
Faluzure (energy draining, undeath, decay, exhaustion) NE draconic god – DR 8-10

Ramenos seems like a 6, since he's sleeping his life away.

Semuanya, on the other hand, is fairly active in his watching over the lizardfolk, and is unquestioned as their deity (Sess'inek and his lizard kings notwithstanding). DvR 10 here.

I disagree about Aasterinian. She seems flightly and uncaring about worshippers or personal power. She's revered by brass and copper dragons, but this seems secondary to their reverence for Bahamut. I'd give her DvR 7.

Faluzure seems like Vhaerun in that he's a schemer trying to scrape together ever more power, but doesn't have enough might to challenge Bahamut or Tiamat. I'd say DvR 8 (maybe 9, but that's very iffy).

DARK FOLK:
Cegilune (larvae, hags, the Moon) NE hag goddess – DR 8-10
Mellifleur (lichdom, magic) NE lich god – DR 8-10
Squerrik (thievery, disguise, concealment) LE wererat god – DR 6-8
Balador (werebears, protection, fraternity) CG werebear god – DR 7-9
Ferrix (play, curiosity, hunting) N weretiger goddess – DR 6-8
Daragor (marauding beasts, bloodlust, pain) CE werewolf god – DR 9-10
Eshebala (vanity, charm, greed, cunning) CE werefox goddess – DR 8-9

Cegilune should probably be 8 (I seem to place a lot of them there don't I?). She can only get worship by forcing it, not because she's truly revered.

Mellifleur, on the other hand, seems like a very apt schemer, and that he'd be quite widely and secretly worshipped by many necromancers and liches for secrets into undeath. He could be called one of the most popular of the hidden gods (right alongside, say, Vecna). I'd say DvR 10.

Balador seems like a DvR 8, since he seems stable in his worship. His younger sister Ferrix, however, being more flighty and not quite as canny, would be a 7 I think.

Daragor, being the god of all evil lycanthropes, should probably be a DvR 10. Eshebala, being specific to foxwomen, is more like a 7 I think, since those are a fairly specific lycanthrope type.

SYLVAN:
Oberon (nature, wild places, animals) NG consort of Titania – DR 9-10
Damh (dance, song, celebrations) CN god of korreds, satyrs, and atomies – DR 8-9
Eachthighern (healing, loyalty, protection) CG god of unicorns and pegasi – DR 8-9
Skerrit (community, natural balances) N centaur god – DR 9-10
Verenestra (female faeries, charm, beauty) N goddess of drayds, nymphs, and sylphs – DR 8-9

Oberon seems like a DvR 10, simply because of his status as Titania's consort.

I'd put Damh as an 8, and only that much because he has three species that revere him.

Eachthighern seems more like a 7, as there just aren't that many unicorns and pegasi.

Skerrit should probably be a 10, accounting for how numerous centaurs are (as opposed to most other sylvan creatures), and that they seems religiously inclined, as well as strong (hence he'd be strong also).

Verenestra should probably be a 9, since she has three races that venerate her, and all are fairly powerful in their own right.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i think i'll just go with DR 9 on the two draconic gods.

Ok, next category is the Demigods (DvR 1-5), which is almost as small of a category as the Greater powers. :) most gods, it seems, fall somewhere in between greater and demipower. After these guys, I'll move on to working up old powers from sources other than Monster Mythology.

Most of these fellows are fairly unpopular within their race, or belong to a relatively weak or lowly race.

Urogalan (earth, death) N halfling god - creepy fellow. Worshipped by few, but revered by most. DR 3-4
Skiggaret (fear) CE bugbear god - half-mad god with no real followers - DR 2-4
Gaknulak (protection, stealth, trickery, traps) LE kobold - the only kobold god besides Kurtulmak - DR 3-5
Kuraulyek (urds) LE cowardly god of a small, mostly unknown race. DR 2-3
Stalker (hate, death, cold) NE god feared and not worshipped by goblinoids - DR 1-3
Kiaransalee (undead, vengeance) CE drow goddess that once usurped Orcus' power! DR 4-5 for sure.
Zinzerena (chaos, assassins) CE drow heroine turned goddess, DR 1-2 at most
Diinkarazan (vengeance) CE derro god, lost and half-mad and bound to his throne in the Abyss - DR 1-3
Diancastra (trickery, wit, impudence, pleasure) CG giant heroine turned goddess, daughter of Annam - DR 1-3
Gorellik (hunting, hyenas, hyenadons) CE gnoll god that has had his poition usurped by Yeenoghu - DR 2-4
Laogzed (eating) CE troglodyte god, half-demon spawn that lives only to eat, DR 3-5
Parrafaire (guardianship) CN naga god, DR 1-3
Sess'innek ("civilization", dominion) CE demon lord that created the lizard kings (hey, weren't they featured in a recent book?) - DR 1-4
Caoimhin (food, shy friendship) N killmoulis god, very shy and weak - DR 1 or maybe 2
Fionnghuala (swanmays, communication, sorority) NG goddess - DR 4 or 5
Squelachie (trickery, illusions) CN leprechaun god, the weakest deity in the Inner Circle of the Seelie Court - DR 4-5

HERO/QUASI-DIETIES
There's no real need to debate what DvR these guys have - either it's 0, or they don't have one. Each one is presented in Monster Mytholgy, if you have it, and probably only in that book. Each could be a low-level god, or merely just an honored mortal that became the proxy of a god or something (maybe they are mentioned in Planescape products as such?)

The only thing to decide is should we give each of them a DR 0, or not.

Lafarallinn (elf)
Gnarldan Steelshield (dwarf)
Kaldair Swiftfoot (halfling)
Gerdreg (orc)

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
For determining a deities Divine Rank, make sure you closely reference page 25 of Deities and Demigods, as it details the difference between Rank 0 to Rank 21+

Here's a simple breakdown for everyones reference:

Rank 0: Referred to as Quasi-Deities or Hero Deities.

Rank 1-5: Deities of these ranks are Demigods.

Rank 6-10: Lesser Deities.

Rank 11-15: Intermediate Deities

Rank 16-20: Greater Deities.

Rank 21+: These entities are beyond the ken of mortals and care nothing for worshippers. Thay are called Overdeities.

Thus, if an official 3E D&D product lists a particular deity as an Intermediate Deity then that deity must have a rank between 11 and 15. Many of the deities from Monster Mythology have been given such listings in such books as the FRCS and D&D Draconimicon: The Book of Dragons. Below are some listings...

Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (FRCS) *

Drow Gods
Eilistraee (L)
Ghaunadaur (L)
Kiaransalee (D)
Lolth (I)
Selvetarm (D)

Dwarven Gods
Abbathor (I)
Berronar Truesilver (I)
Clangeddin Silverbeard (I)
Deep Duerra (duergar) (D)
Dugmaren Brightmantle (L)
Dumathoin (I)
Gorm Gulthyn (L)
Haela Brightaxe (D)
Laduguer (duergar) (I)
Marthammor Duin (L)
Moradin (G)
Sharindlar (I)
Thard Harr (L)
Vergadain (I)

Elven Gods
Aerdrie Faenya (I)
Angharradh (G)
Corellon Larethian (G)
Deep Sashelas (I)
Erevan Ilesere (I)
Fenmarel Mestarine (L)
Hanali Celanil (I)
Labelas Enoreth (I)
Rillifane Rallathil (I)
Sehanine Moonbow (I)
Shevarash (D)
Solonor Thelandira (I)

Gnome Gods
Baervan Wildwanderer (I)
Baravar Cloakshadow (L)
Callarduran Smoothhands (I)
Flandal Steelskin (I)
Gaerdal Ironhand (L)
Garl Glittergold (G)
Segojan Earthcaller (I)
Urdlen (I)

Halfling Deites
Arvoreen (I)
Brandobaris (L)
Cyrrollalee (I)
Sheela Peryroyl (I)
Urogalan (D)
Yondalla (G)

Orc Gods
Bahgtru (L)
Grummsh (G)
Ilneval (L)
Luthic (L)
Shargaas (L)
Yurtrus (L)

* i realize that many of these are Forgotten Realms specific but I didn't feel like figuring out which ones fell into that category.

Draconomicon: The Book of Dragons

Aasterinian (D)
Astilabor (L)
Bahamut (L)
Chronepsis (L)
Falazure (L)
Garyx (L)
Hlal (L)
Io (I)
Lendys (L)
Tamara (L)
Tiamat (L)