• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Divine shield + ring of force shield

Brorath

First Post
so I'm in need of a ruling. Does the divine shield feat( complete warrior page 106) provide it's ac bonus to someone using the ring of force shield( can be found on the srd).

Why/ why not ...any insight would be much appreciated !

Starbuck_II

First Post
so I'm in need of a ruling. Does the divine shield feat( complete warrior page 106) provide it's ac bonus to someone using the ring of force shield( can be found on the srd).

Why/ why not ...any insight would be much appreciated !

I say yes as it functions like a Shield.

Force Shield says: An iron band, this simple ring generates a shield-sized (and shield-shaped) wall of force that stays with the ring and can be wielded by the wearer as if it were a heavy shield (+2 AC). This special creation has no armor check penalty or arcane spell failure chance since it is weightless and encumbrance-free. It can be activated and deactivated at will as a free action.

It says like a Heavy shield.

frankthedm

First Post
I say yes as it functions like a Shield.

Force Shield says: An iron band, this simple ring generates a shield-sized (and shield-shaped) wall of force that stays with the ring and can be wielded by the wearer as if it were a heavy shield (+2 AC). This special creation has no armor check penalty or arcane spell failure chance since it is weightless and encumbrance-free. It can be activated and deactivated at will as a free action.

It says like a Heavy shield.
While it is wielded like a shield, is a plane of force, not a shield, thus divine shield should not effect it. It would be similar to letting someone using divine shield or magic Vestments on a shield spell

Last edited:

parinho7

First Post
i believe that the ring of force shield provides the wearer with a shield bonus to ac even though it says it generates a shield-sized wall of force still the bonus it provides is a shiled bonus, not, say a "force" bonus. since it is a shield bonus it can be combined with divine shield.

pawsplay

Hero
Ir says it is wielded like a shield. If it were a shield, it would say that, but it doesn't, so it's not. Notice that it is not listed under Special Armor and Shields, but under Rings.

jefgorbach

First Post
sorry, I agree with parinho7 -- its a small forcefield shaped/sized like a shield and used as such which happens to be generated from a ring (hence its classification). Therefore it should qualify for use with any shield-related feat/spell/etc.

Dandu

First Post
It certainly won't be unbalanced to treat it like a shield, though the strict RAW answer is probably no.

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Do you actually take the armor check penalty and everything else that it means to wield a heavy shield, or not? If the ring is more of a hindrance on the user than an animated shield (which DOES work with the feat), then I definitely don't mind it benefitting from Divine Shield. Even if it has no drawback at all other than the cost and ring slot... I still might be ok with it, but the RAW answer would more likely be no in that case.

Remove ads