D&D 5E Divine Soul is Kinda Nasty

Zardnaar

Legend
It's far more cost effective to extend a spell instead of casting it again. It just tends to be situational. 1 sorcery point for 20 minutes of clairvoyance is better than casting clairvoyance twice. The only point in taking that metamagic is to help conserve spell slots.

Someone who uses charms and dominates in town might make use of it puppet style. Long term buffs are usually the way it's applied.

Extend can still save spell slots. Clerics just add to the list of spells it works with. The 8 hour spells it works with just enable buffing for the next day and walking into the dungeon with a full load of spell slots. It's not like squishy party members would not appreciate mage armor or humans given some darkvision if the sorcerer buffed other party members with them before resting and also took those spells.

The actual number of spells known might get in the way.

How often it actually matters as opposed to recasting a spell is where it becomes questionable. Extended spell is not as decisive as other metamagic options available.

Aid seems to be the most attractive synergy.

Yeah she has been extending aid.

If I didn't bait her into using another spell she would have got 3 combats out of spiritual guardians (extended).

If she has any 4th level slots left she uses aid for 20 hit points or 15 via level 3.

Combined with inspiring leader it's 31 now 32 hp.

Ashrym

Legend

If I didn't bait her into using another spell she would have got 3 combats out of spiritual guardians (extended).

If she has any 4th level slots left she uses aid for 20 hit points or 15 via level 3.

I combined it on a build with earthquake once. I found that fun in concept but generally pointless because the effect was enough in a minute of quake.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster

I guess I don't just see the issue with this. You're burning a 4th level spell slot and a sorcery point to get some extra hit points.

Divine Soul can out heal a Life Cleric over time because of extend spell. Multi-class one level of Life Cleric and you get the best of both worlds. You can also do some great things with distant spell and cleric aoes.

Zardnaar

Legend
Divine Soul can out heal a Life Cleric over time because of extend spell. Multi-class one level of Life Cleric and you get the best of both worlds. You can also do some great things with distant spell and cleric aoes.

She usually doesn't heal her spell slots. She twinned a healing word.

Shiroiken

Legend
I did a Divine Soul Sorcerer and they make excellent support. Twinned healing was really good, and Subtle spell was great to keep my healing from being counterspelled. If I had considered it, a level dip into Life Cleric would have been amazing.

Hussar

Legend
I did a Divine Soul Sorcerer and they make excellent support. Twinned healing was really good, and Subtle spell was great to keep my healing from being counterspelled. If I had considered it, a level dip into Life Cleric would have been amazing.

How often did you face enemy casters high enough level to counter spell that this was an issue?

Shiroiken

Legend
How often did you face enemy casters high enough level to counter spell that this was an issue?
It was for a series of 1 shots, so we didn't level normally. We started at level 3, then jumped to level 5, then 8, etc. We ended this group at level 20, so it was fairly common to face spellcasters.

They are solid and probably one of the only sorcerer origins that I find alluring but they double down on the core issue all sorcerers have with spells known.
That are great at purpose built focuses like buffing but are fairly rigid.

Remove ads