• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General DIY xps foam terrain. Videos? Pics? Advice?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Any advice for a water effect? I want to fill some gaps in the base of my keep with "flowing water." I want to use something simple and cheap like PVA glue, but I am open to other suggestions

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
I've looked into it a little. Here's a couple untested ideas I had...

Use a texture roller

Maybe use this pattern (paint it Craftsmart Neon Blue with Ocean Breeze Dry Brush]
il_794xN.2565843300_8ums.jpg

This guy uses PVA glue and three layers of toilet paper. Not sure if this would hold up at the table though.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I use TP and paper towels for all my paper mache earth and it hold up great - so maybe it will work for water - that looks pretty amazing - though what I want is greenish swamp water not blue sea water.

Thanks!

pogre

Legend
Any advice for a water effect? I want to fill some gaps in the base of my keep with "flowing water." I want to use something simple and cheap like PVA glue, but I am open to other suggestions
For smaller areas I have used two-part epoxy. I have always wanted to try that tissue technique - I'm anxious to see how it works for you.

dave2008

Legend
I've looked into it a little. Here's a couple untested ideas I had...

Use a texture roller

Maybe use this pattern (paint it Craftsmart Neon Blue with Ocean Breeze Dry Brush]
View attachment 151671

This guy uses PVA glue and three layers of toilet paper. Not sure if this would hold up at the table though.

That was awesome - makes me wish I still did stuff like this. Maybe when I retire!

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Bought the tiles and got my 1st test piece going. So far, so good.

I wish I had thought to follow this advice and get some of these tiles. I used a foamcore board to adhere the base of my keep onto and am using that to create the moat and surrounding swamp-land - but the board is constantly warping (and while various tricks for flattening I have found online work, it seems like it only lasts as longs I as I don't apply anything more to it, because then it warps again). If I had used those tiles instead I would not be stressing out that I may have to tear the completed keep I have spent over a couple dozen hours of work on off the board and pray for the best.

Nervous Fetal Position GIF by Big Brother

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
Yeah, i'm discovering that it's wise to wait several days before you know if a piece is warped or not. Even using tiles & mod podge can produce potato chip tiles.

Best o'luck!

Remove ads