D&D General DIY xps foam terrain. Videos? Pics? Advice?

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
Side note:
(a) This is my first time creating usuable foam terrain and acrylic paint. I learn best by doing (maybe we all do). Comments and constructive criticism are much appreciated. :)
(b) Our group is on hiatus. Everyone in the group is new to Mystara, except me. Most of my knowledge stems from going down various rabbit-holes on the Pandius site. So it's sort of "the one-eyed man in the land of the blind" situation. This game board is intended as a conversation piece and a bit of a teaching tool for the Spheres of Power.

Here's the game board with Mod Podge mixed with Black Matte Acrylic as a base coat
Side 1: Stone Tiles (one inch)
received_610474356902626.jpeg

Side 2: Wooden Boards (Gridless. 1 inch =5 feet)
received_293713696131773.jpeg

Colors of the Spheres of Power
1 Crimson (Craftsmart) Energy -->Fire-->Red
2 Brown (Craftsmart) Matter -->Earth-->Brown
3 Ocean Breeze (Craftsmart) Time-->Water-->Blue
4 Splendid Gold (DecoArt) Thought-->Air -->Gold
0 Black (Crafsmart) Entropy--> oblivion-->Black

received_5085604311451276.jpeg

Plain Stone Tiles (and 2 brown ones)
Fog Grey (Craftsmart) mixed with a little Black.
received_661019085078470.jpeg

Wooden Boards
Golden Brown (Craftsmart)
received_304106848336749.jpeg

These paints are cheap. If you think another color would work better, please let me know. I would appreciate it.

The colors are slightly darker irl than the pics

The test pieces still require Dry Brushing, Black Wash, and Sealant.

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Great start. The texturing on the wooden board is great, as is the pattern on the wooden side of the big board.

I find the craftsmart paints are more than fine and even use them for minis sometimes.

As for the above, my suggestion would be to start with a darker color as the base over the mod podge doing a heavy dry brush, and then do the golden brown or whatever as a dry brush over that. It will provide a lot more texture and look less like slathered on paint.

I would do more aluminum foil ball texturing on the stone ones.

not-so-newguy

As for the above, my suggestion would be to start with a darker color as the base over the mod podge doing a heavy dry brush, and then do the golden brown or whatever as a dry brush over that. It will provide a lot more texture and look less like slathered on paint.

Thanks for pointing that out. It made a big difference. Also putting on the base brown with a very wet brush helped.
received_319948933343841.jpeg

pogre

Legend
If you paint a lot of stone work, and therefore, lots of gray tones, you might try using house paint. I have a quart of white and a quart of black that I got from the hardware store.

When I did a bunch of desert terrain I had the paint store mix up a sand/yellow-tan color house paint for my terrain boards. Pretty economical and wears well. My desert terrain boards were used and abused ina hobby store for years.

not-so-newguy

If you paint a lot of stone work, and therefore, lots of gray tones, you might try using house paint. I have a quart of white and a quart of black that I got from the hardware store.

When I did a bunch of desert terrain I had the paint store mix up a sand/yellow-tan color house paint for my terrain boards. Pretty economical and wears well. My desert terrain boards were used and abused ina hobby store for years.
Too late 🤷
I went with grey, rather than trying to maintain a mixture.
Not sure what to do about the circled one. I put 2 coats on all of them as evenly as I could.
received_7518942974797949_kindlephoto-248140923.jpg

not-so-newguy

Is this pink XPS foam? Could the thin plastic layer still be on that red circled one?
I bought this from Amazon before I knew better. They appear to be just a sheet of xps insulation that's been cut up and packaged.
(This is not the piece in question, but another one from the same package)

received_293419676081103.jpeg

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
The most recent piece I bought at Home Depot (which was 4' x 8' and yes I did bring my hobby knife with me to cut it up into pieces that fit in my car in the parking lot) had a thin film on it that I need to peel off. It cut easily, so I didn't realized it until after I had started shaping it, but thankfully before I applied mod podge or paint.

Remove ads