DM - Adversarial or Permissive?

mwnrnc

First Post
I apologize for this length of this post, but I had an interesting discussion today with one of my players regarding my DM style. First, the situation:

Another of my players is a level 1 former mercenary from a company who occasionally turned to being brigands when times were lean. After joining with the party and helping to save a village from being overrun by Goblins, he is considered a local hero. A local girl seduces him, only for them to be discovered by her father who flies into a rage and throws him out of the house. The next day, he approaches the town watch to arrest the player as, according to the daughter, he forced himself on her. The sheriff and two guardsmen (one of which is a fellow player) set out to bring him in. Here's where it gets tricky.

I describe to the player, who is at the stables seeing to his horse, the following. "The Sheriff and two guardsmen approach you, clad in their armor and with their weapons, though none are drawn. They approach you purposefully, but not aggressively." About 50 feet away, they hailed him and said they they needed him to come with them to answer some allegations. As they closed within 30ft of him, he decided to flee on his horse. I informed him that they might be able to intercept him before he could mount his horse and ride out of the stable, that the main gate might be closed, and that even if he did make it out, it would mean he may as well roll a new character. This was still early in the campaign and the other players were a town guard, a woman, and a religious ranger - none of whom were inclined to believe that he was innocent or try to help him if he escaped. Further, the town would see his flight as an admission of guilt, meaning he would be unwelcome in the town. He angrily responded that he was forced to choose between playing the game and being true to his character. This is not the first time this particular player has leveled this accusation against me, but it was the first time the player I consulted afterwards agreed.

The other player basically said that the scenarios I present in game are somewhat impenetrable and that I am adversarial in presenting information to them so that they can make good, in-character decisions. Further, I expect too much of them when it comes to coming up with "what to do." As he sees it, the DM's job is to facilitate a fun game by providing as much information as possible and giving hints, where necessary, so that players never feel stuck.

The way I see it, a DM's job is to create situations that challenge the players and it is up to them to overcome those challenges with their skills and abilities. In the above encounter, for example, there are multiple ways the player could have handled the confrontation (i.e. bribing the guards, trying to talk them off with charm, try to run and hide) and if he wanted to get more information, he had methods to do that as well (Sense Motive, for example). I do not feel expecting a player who has been playing for two years to know what his skills are and to be able to apply this to situations in game is asking too much, nor do I feel that I should over-describe, telling him things he wouldn't know without rolling or that guards wouldn't be displaying (for example, they wouldn't say "we just want to arrest you without harming you to answer to rape charges"). I expect them to be proactive, coming up with possible solutions to the problems that confront them - rolling knowledge or gather information checks, etc.

I feel that by giving the players "hints" like my friend wants, I undermine the nature of the game. It places undue burden on me to anticipate where they may get stuck without the benefit of feedback in the form of knowledge or gather information rolls to know where they are confused. Further, it makes them more likely to rely on my "hints" than to think creatively and overcome challenges on their own.

Do any venerable DMs or players have any suggestions about how to get past this conflict? Am I "doing it wrong?"

Hussar

Legend
No, you are not doing it wrong.

However, that being said, the "arrest" scenario is a fate worse than death to most players and will almost always draw very strong reactions. For one thing, if the player does go along with it, he's going to be arrested, his weapons taken away (another fate worse than death to most players) and sidelined in the game until such time as he's out of jail.

It is almost worse than death really. The player doesn't know if he will actually be freed or not, so, he might wind up warming the pines during game time for an indeterminate length of time only to discover that it really wasn't worth the wait, he's out of the game anyway. He should have just hung himself with his own belt (or rather his character should have) and he could have spent that time making a new character and getting back into the game.

Taking PC's prisoner is extremely difficult. The fact that he realistically has no choice in what he can do - if he flees, he loses his character, if he fights, he loses his character, if he tries to talk, well, how often does talking to the cop get you out of rape charges? - and the player is going to get antsy in a hurry.

I'd chalk this one up to the scenario. "Take PC prisoner" scenarios have a habit of going pear shaped regardless of how good the DM is. Possibly a solution here would be to stop the game, take a break for a second, pull the player aside and just explain to him, out of character, what's going on. Sure, it's immersion breaking, but, a player having a fit because there is just no way he's going to get brought in is even more immersion breaking. It's the lesser of two evils.

Quickleaf

Legend
Neither! Piratecat, Chris Perkins, Gary Gygax love child DM of Awesome!!! :D

Oh I see now, that's not what you're asking...

Here's my opinion: Since when do PCs runaway?!? Clearly he was running an NPC cameo who can come back to haunt the campaign later.

mwnrnc said:
This was still early in the campaign and the other players were a town guard, a woman, and a religious ranger - none of whom were inclined to believe that he was innocent or try to help him if he escaped.
Oh I had to point this out... Was the character's defining feature really "woman"? Seems off to me.

scourger

Explorer
...the "arrest" scenario is a fate worse than death to most players and will almost always draw very strong reactions...."Take PC prisoner" scenarios have a habit of going pear shaped regardless of how good the DM is...

Yep. You need to have the charges dismissed (or the player found not guilty), unify the party and get on with the game.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
DMs need to be authoritative and fair. NPCs may be adversarial, or if they like the PCs (or have a vested self-interest) they may be generous and suggest options. It's the DM's job to handle both those points of view.

For instance, picture a guardsman. He's had a crappy day, and now he's been ordered to go arrest some adventurers. "Adventurers" killed his brother, and he's carried a grudge ever since. Pay back time. He grabs his weapons and his armor; they'll damn well obey him, or he'll put them down.

Now picture his partner. He's a coward who just got engaged yesterday. He hates his work but loves the pay, and his daily goal is to get by with a minimum of fuss and danger. Now he's ordered to go arrest adventurers. Screw that. He's going to give them every opportunity to come peacefully, informing them why they're wanted and even making up false promises if that makes his job easier.

The DM can easily vary between these two extremes. Ask yourself, "what's the most fun right now? What would make exciting, cinematic complications?" Then do that.

Also, I'll be honest. Consider avoiding discussions or allegations of rape in your game. If there's ever an iffy topic that's just as easily avoided, for me it's that one.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Also, last time someone arrested my PCs, they left them with weapons and left the cell door unlocked. "Aren't you going to lock this?" they asked. "Will it even slow you down if you want to escape?" asked the jailer. "No," admitted the PCs. "Then why bother?" asked the jailer, and went off down the hall.

Well known PCs are big damn heroes. Easiest to treat them that way.

freeAgent

Explorer
I think the main point of the game is to have fun. Can the friend deal with your game and still have fun more often than not? Can you adjust your game so situations where this person is the decision maker are more "obvious" and still have fun yourself? Would you have more fun not adjusting your game at all and playing without your friend? Would your group have more fun if someone else DM'd?

Those are the questions I would ask myself, and act accordingly. It seems like this is just one situation where your friend didn't like the way you presented things. It's not clear whether or not it happens a lot. Since your PCs are still acting alone, maybe things will improve once they're making decisions as a group. I also agree that getting arrested is generally a non-fun situation. Was the idea that he could be arrested but then talk his way out of it? Maybe you could just explain that RPGs are not always about "fight or flight" reactions.

Spatula

Explorer
Do any venerable DMs or players have any suggestions about how to get past this conflict? Am I "doing it wrong?"
If your players aren't having fun, you're doing it wrong.

Note that not everyone games in order to overcome challenges and deal with a rough lot in life. Some folks just want to blow off some steam and escape their lives for a few hours.

Also, in addition to hating being locked up, some folks are allergic to being railroaded, which is what your setup amounted to. "You're approached by the town guards, what do you do? Keep in mind that if your answer is not to go quietly with them, you will have to make up a new character" is not an honest choice to present to a player.

mwnrnc

First Post
Oh I had to point this out... Was the character's defining feature really "woman"? Seems off to me.

My point was that she was less likely to be sympathetic to someone accused of rape that she did not know, not that that was her sole defining characteristic.

Would your group have more fun if someone else DM'd?

I seem to be the only one in my group that actually enjoys DMing as much (if not more than) playing.

Was the idea that he could be arrested but then talk his way out of it? Maybe you could just explain that RPGs are not always about "fight or flight" reactions.

Yeah, the accuser's story was full of holes and he had the goodwill of the town behind him. I figured he would be quite sure he would beat the charges. In his past interactions with the sheriff, he had been stern, but not bloodthirsty or capricious.

Also, I'll be honest. Consider avoiding discussions or allegations of rape in your game. If there's ever an iffy topic that's just as easily avoided, for me it's that one.

Fair enough, but even if my players aren't the most pro-active, they are fine with adult topics. We don't RP that kind of thing, but they were informed going in that this campaign would have adult content up to an including torture, rape, and brutality. I don't pull any punches and there haven't been any complaints in that regard.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases