• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General DM Authority

jasper

Rotten DM
God I laughed. Ok. But it is not a game anymore now. It is a parody of a game. That is an other matter. My point still stand.
No I told the story of what happen during the game after we ended the game. The two viewpoints I see. D&D is game where we tell stories of what happen after the game. Or it is a table top storytelling game where players get together to tell a story during the game.
(Psst I could I been in the NFL till I took a helmet to my knee, proclaimed Jasper the shoe sales man).

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I would say a TRPG campaign has a chance to make a story as good as a good novel, at least from the point of view of the people at the table. I don't think the stories are exactly directly comparable, for a variety of reasons, but that's ... probably around the edges of your broader point, with which, to be clear, I do agree.
I've read fantasy novels that I'm convinced are D&D games converted by the author into a novel. Either that or the author is heavily influenced by D&D and it shows up in his work.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I'll also say that I have I fact, after seeing an incredible game by a player or team, heard an announcer say, "What a story this will make."
Also, the broadcasters usually set a given game in its context, given the way a given season is going, and the world of any given elite professional sports league is going to be small enough that there will be prior connections that can be used by the broadcasters to shape some sort of narrative. So, while the raw events of a game may not seem particularly novelistic, the game might be experienced in a way that at least is shaped by expectations for narratives.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I've read fantasy novels that I'm convinced are D&D games converted by the author into a novel. Either that or the author is heavily influenced by D&D and it shows up in his work.
I think I've read some novels like that, too, and I didn't think much of them. I think the needs of a novel are different enough from the needs of a TRPG campaign that I'd be ... reluctant to try to convert one to the other (either way--I don't think novels make great models for TRPG campaigns, either).

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Also, the broadcasters usually set a given game in its context, given the way a given season is going, and the world of any given elite professional sports league is going to be small enough that there will be prior connections that can be used by the broadcasters to shape some sort of narrative. So, while the raw events of a game may not seem particularly novelistic, the game might be experienced in a way that at least is shaped by expectations for narratives.
Aaaaaaand, they can tell you that Ralph Catchesalot is the first person with a replaced knee to catch 4 consecutive passes with one hand on a Thursday. That's some story!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I think I've read some novels like that, too, and I didn't think much of them. I think the needs of a novel are different enough from the needs of a TRPG campaign that I'd be ... reluctant to try to convert one to the other (either way--I don't think novels make great models for TRPG campaigns, either).
Agreed. There have been a few that I've liked, but most are...……….substandard as far as novels are concerned.

And I the same. Some of my players take extensive notes during our games. Some are even recording me. And when I read some of their notes, it feels like a novel right off the bat. As a former litterature and ESL teacher (now a power engineer) some of their notes would make really good short novels. But a football/baseball game? Nope. No can do. Not without heavy modifications to make it at least a bit tolerable in reading.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
If you're telling a story about something that happened, you are recounting that story. It was a story as it happened.
Nope. But it’s just semantics at this point. You understand what I mean and I understand what you mean.

I don’t find semantics to be particularly worthwhile debates and so I’m out.

I’m honestly amazed that anything happens in the world as the internet is filled with 99% of its arguments based on semantics. Maybe the written word and the spoken word is processed by our brains a bit differently. Or maybe we are more concerned with being buttholes to others in person.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads