D&D General DM Authority

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I'm just saying that this is a really odd thing to keep harping on. I agree. While no one is perfect, DMs should be clear on what type of game they're running.

What else needs to be said?
Apparently you need to make a near infinite long list of all the banned things from the game and cover all those in a nearly infinite long session 0, lest you be required to allow whatever wasn't explicitly banned into the game.

Makes perfect sense to me :devilish:

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Apparently you need to make a near infinite long list of all the banned things from the game and cover all those in a nearly infinite long session 0, lest you be required to allow whatever wasn't explicitly banned into the game.

Makes perfect sense to me :devilish:
Not to mention being contractually obligated to run games you hate for the good of D&D at large. :rolleyes:

FrogReaver

"The Beast Route is a heroic Fantasy game."

Boom. All my players who that Marvel Superhero Characters and their lookalikes are banned.
But what if I think wolverine would fit into a heroic fantasy game? Since you weren't explicit does that mean I must be allowed to play wolverine?

generic

That the idea that Communication being Voluntary is bad and DMs wouldn't have so many authority problems if they were clear from the start.
What kind of DM runs a grimdark fantasy game and tells the players it's a Goku and the super saiyans game?

What is the greater point?

Are you implying that people should have common sense?

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
But what if I think wolverine would fit into a heroic fantasy game? Since you weren't explicit does that mean I must be allowed to play wolverine?
Or ... you write him up, reskinned as a Fantasy Hero. Well, probably more like an Antihero, but you get the idea.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Then I pull out page 38 of the DMG and start reading.
What kind of DM runs a grimdark fantasy game and tells the players it's a Goku and the super saiyans game?

What is the greater point?

Are you implying that people should have common sense?
The idea is that they make a grimdark fantasy game but never say its a grimdark fantasy game.

I've had it happen to me twice. Both times it was me who forced the DMs to explain their games clearly.
Maybe you guys don't know that a lot of DMs need help bad.

generic

The idea is that they make a grimdark fantasy game but never say its a grimdark fantasy game.

I've had it happen to me twice. Both times it was me who forced the DMs to explain their games clearly.
Maybe you guys don't know that a lot of DMs need help bad.
I don't think anyone objects to that.

What people do object to...

Is the idea of being obligated to change your game to suit the players.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter

I agree.
My point is that you wouldn't have people trying to change your game if you told them what the game was about and watched them go elsewhere.

If the player wants to be a demigod, I want them to know that isn't allowed before they attempt to through a mountain at a dragon.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

Not to be a party pooper - but communication is a 2 way street. All the onus of being clear cannot necessarily solely be left at the DM's feet. That's the other part of the issue IMO. A DM should try to be clear about what your game is about but even the clearest DM doesn't always enlighten as sometimes different people have different ideas about the boundaries of genre/setting/etc and so outside exhaustively listing in specific terms everything that is allowed or isn't allowed you always run into the issue that communicating your idea fails.

Remove ads