D&D General DM Authority

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Players can bring snacks to an online game. They just can’t share 😜
I'll have to consult with my rules lawyers on that one...

....Seems the one that brings the snacks says that's the correct interpretation and the one that doesn't says it's not considered "bringing snacks" if he wants some and can't have any. We are in quite a conundrum.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
I'll have to consult with my rules lawyers on that one...

....Seems the one that brings the snacks says that's the correct interpretation and the one that doesn't says it's not considered bringing if he wants snacks and can't have any. We are in quite a conundrum.
Pretty sure there's a sourcebook for that, lemme dig through my notes.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I believe as a DM, the onus is on the DM first to explain their game.

Since it's their setting and campaign.
Since they have authority.
Agreed. I mean, why wouldn't you share it anyway? As a DM you want people with buy-in and who share a similar playstyle as you do in order to maximize enjoyment for yourself and the players.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
So what does complaining on this forum do to help?
Because the more the people are exposed to the problem, the more people are available to fix it.

But if a large percentage of DMs are "I don't have this problem so I do not care", well there will be few people out there trying to fix the problems.

Blandco

Villager
Where did you do this research? I mean, I don’t doubt that was your experience, but it doesn’t seem consistent with what I’m seeing here, nor can I recall seeing any DMing advice on YouTube instructing DMs to be restrictive with player options because it’s easier.
I looked for people accepting new players in games on Roll20 forums, Discord servers of popular Youtubers and LFG forums on D&D beyond.

Hardly any Youtubers are specifically instructing DMs to be restrictive because it's easier. However, there seems to be many DMs who are badly interpreting advice they watch online.

For example I never once found a game where all the basic PC choices from the PH were available. I am not pointing fingers but these DMs aren't getting the notion to restrict character options from the DM's Guide.

And more specific examples where DMs are implementing the Colville method of rolling stats which can easily cause some weird scenarios where a first time player might have to deal with an incredibly low stat. I would never suggest that new players start out rolling stats for multiple reasons.

One of the other strange pieces of advice floating out that is that if you as the DM don't understand a facet of 5E then don't include it in your game. I ran into DM's that just didn't allow certain spells because of "balance" issues.

Ect ect. It's not necessarily bad advice being given but rather advice that doesn't seem to be utilized properly by 90% of the online DMs I have encountered in the past couple of months.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
No longer do I have to tolerate the Elf loli character played by the troglodyte with the neckbeard...

So, yes...

I quite like that I can find the right people to play the games I want to play.
Man. When Elf loli reminds of Aioli, you know you should probably go get something to eat. Back in a while.

Remove ads