D&D General DM Authority

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
And, by the way, there are systems out there without a game master. In, say, Microscope, when it comes to individual characters, one person just narrates what their character is doing and if it influences another person's character -- the second person narrates what happens to them. Yeah, this allows for things like "I killed you!", "No, I had a super-puper magical shield, and I shot back and killed you!", but that never happens if people at the table understand the game and work together.
As an aside, this is how I handle PvP in D&D. If you take an action that would harm or hinder another player’s character, that player gets to resolve the action. They are free to decide if it succeeds or fails, or to decide to ask you to make an attack roll or ability check to determine what happens, for which they set the DC and narrate the results. I find that players are much more comfortable with the option of (role played) inter-party conflict when it’s always on the target’s terms.

Charlaquin

Again I am reading emphasis on players being bad actors wanting to "win". I met a guy in the 80s who was incredibly shell shocked might be the word? over DMs using their characters background against him... he did not want a character with depth because it was as he saw it a vulnerability through which he could be hurt it staggered me and I identified it as Gygaxian DM adversarialism come to roost. The perception of DM as enemy I thought came from someplace it seemed to have been in the 1e DMG, and the incredible fragility of the characters and dramatic easy character death no matter what you did.
I prefer that my players be invested in their characters’ success (wanting to “win” if you will), but not in an adversarial fashion. As I’ve said before, I believe the DM’s job is not to defeat the players, but through adversity to make their characters into heroes.

Charlaquin

Sure man, I'm always at fault and always just make up things people have never said.

Makes me wonder why I try and have conversations with you when it inevitably turns into you personally attacking me. Especially in this case.

I was asked why we are using the words "Absolute Authority" and told that only the "anti-DM authority side" has used them.

I mentioned that you used the words, asking what they mean to people. I mentioned that other people have explicitly made statements not only claiming absolute authority but giving no limits on that authority.

You are offended because I'm "making up naughty word people have never said" while quoting someone who literally says "The DM has absolute Authority" The thing you are telling me is naughty word that no one has ever said.
I don’t want to get in the middle of this, but since you mentioned my comment about only the “anti-DM Authority side” using the term “Ultimate Authority,” allow me first to admit I was mistaken about that and apologize if I caused any misunderstanding, and second to suggest that it seems like you are maybe getting some cross-contamination between different posters positions here. Us generally pro-DM authority folks don’t all share the exact same opinions on the subject (see some of my disagreements with @Maxperson and @Lanefan, for example), and it seems like treating us all as a single side in opposition to you is causing some miscommunications. I know you’re carrying on several conversation threads at once, so it’s understandable that some of these different arguments would get mixed up. Happens to the best of us. But as much as you can try to compartmentalize the different conversations you’re holding simultaneously with different posters, I think that will help smooth over some of these hiccups.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Which only means that as DM I want to be somewhat careful when inviting players that the players I invite are likely to be more or less on board with what I'm intending to run, right?

That said, mistakes both long- and short-term inevitably happen on both sides of the screen, and a certain level of tolerance and-or forgiveness is essential.

Again, you are seeking a group who won't disagree with you.

And if you had a group who would disagree with you, you would feel like you made a mistake, and should have found a different group.

More than that, the referee is there to enforce the rules and - in at least hockey and soccer-football - is noted in the rules as being in complete charge of that game.

"Completely in charge" is a real misnomer.

The Referee can't decide which players are allowed on the field, unless they are breaking the rules.

The referee can't tell them they can't run a particular formation, unless they are breaking the rules.

And those rules? The referee has no control over them. They enforce them, they don't make them.

The DM has to have some control or greater say over when you meet, if not where, as if the DM can't be there there's no game. In contrast, when a player can't make it the game can still sail.

Further, IME the DM is almost invariably also the host; mostly for practical reasons: nearly all the materials* for that game are at the DM's residence and to carry that stuff around every week soon becomes a nuisance.

* - over a long campaign this can build up to a rather impressive amount of stuff. That said, putting some of the game materials online has reduced the need-to-carry slightly - probably by about half a box. :)

Right.

In charge of the game setting, the game time, the game's participants (by choosing the players), the games theme, the games rules, the games location.

They are put in charge of pretty much everything. But, for some people even all that seems to not be enough. They need to be controlling more, and the players aren't responsible for any of it. They are... passive in the entire affair.

Yes, neither of these would fly here. :)

Including me.

Taking your word here, as I didn't follow this other thread. Still, that's pretty over-the-top. :)

If they're not breaking the rules then how are they doing something they know they're not supposed to do?

Hell, I'm no powergamer by any stretch but if I stumble over an exploit in the rules that works to my advantage I'm going to use it till the DM tells me to stop.

So, to go back a step, when you responded to my post about action like these, you were not understanding the context.

And really... I wouldn't. I mean, I'd likely go to the DM and see if this is just a combo or if it is a loophole. Because, why would I want to do something that I know the DM is going to ban the second I do it? Not only is that no fun, but it is also just... poor sportsmanship.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Goku was capable of casually blowing away a planet as a teenager. There's nothing trivial about inserting Goku into any setting.

Again, if this is purely power level, then I'll remind you of the Immortals series of DnD. The one where the players literally became gods.

Sure, DBZ power levels are far and above what players can expect to do. But DBZ stories aren't.

Putting Goku as a character into DnD is not hard. Putting Goku who can explode Moons is, but he is only that powerful because his enemies are that powerful.

And, there is Fantasy were planet destroying characters are not hard to come across.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Chaosmancer I'm not engaging with an obvious strawman.

Sure why not, obviously your point about the DM being 100% neccesary to the functioning of the game can't be disproven by... literally talking about the rules of the game which allow you to play without a DM.

Clearly I'm just twisting your words and creating strawmen, by talking about the literal rules of the game, which tell you how to play without a DM.

Being a DM is undeniably harder than being a player.

I'm going to refrain from my first comment, because I'm getting frustrated and that makes me snappy.

So I'll go with my third.

Who cares if being a DM is hard? That literally has nothing to do with anything.

Furthermore...

I'm perfectly willing to flex on issues in order to make everyone else happy, but, what I am not willing to do is fundamentally alter a ruling or a pre-existing element of what I want to play to facilitate someone else's play, because that ruins my own. I don't expect players to play my game, and I don't expect a DM to run their game differently if I object to the setting or a ruling. Certainly, DMs should listen to players, but weighing the options against your judgement is equally as good for facilitating fun as acquiescing to the demands of any player is.

And we come back to this same old chestnut.

A player with your attitude gets brought up all the time as a bad player. Being unwilling to alter what they want for their fun no matter what is a sign of anything from being selfish to being a special snowflake. At least, according to the people who bring them up as examples.

Oh, and the player is demanding again. Good to know. We can't have reasonable players asking for things, it must be demands.

But, you are the DM. You are different. Being selfish and unwilling to change the things you find fun no matter what is a virtue. I've been told that over and over again.

Players are bad for having that same attitude. Terrible even. Horrible selfish entitled snowflakes who don't care about anyone but themselves.

But as a DM you do so much work, and the game couldn't even exist without you, so you are... well I can't say entitled, you deserve to have your preferences be more important than everyone elses.

And I'm just a horrible troll, twisting your words to mean something they don't mean, because I'm always the troll putting up strawmen and twisting people's words.

But, you said it. You are unwilling to alter something that you want, in favor of someone else's opinion. How else am I supposed to take that?

Probably in a way that makes you look good, because it always is perfectly fine for the DM to take that position.

I think the issue of DMs bending on the lore of their setting is a pretty minor one, explicit restrictions aside. Depends on your style, I guess. If thye players understand that you like to act as an arbiter of the setting, it's fine. If you run a game like mine, where players can author in pretty much whatever to fit a character concept, it's just a non-issue.

Arguing from this point doesn't alter anything which has been said about player buy in and the duty of DMs to facilitate player enjoyment.

Missing the point.

Where some DMs are unwilling to bend on their setting, they are also unwilling to bend on a published setting.

The entire table is asking for something. Every player is asking you to bend, and what is the general response I've gotten?

"I should be more careful in choosing my players."

Not that the DM should change anything, but that they should find players who already want to do what the DM desires to do. I guess DMs should only facilitate the enjoyment of players who agree with them.

Seriously, two threads and hundreds of posts, and I have yet to find a single DM who would commit further than "I'd take their concerns under consideration, but I would decide what we do, not them"

Okay, you don't get to judge what the real situation was or is. Furthermore, under this argument, you seem to be implying that the DM's fun should not go before the fun of the players, which is perfectly valid, I completely agree.

However, if a player buys in to the DM's preexisting restrictions, there's no loss of player agency in the choice of what the fun is.

What kind of game exists where the DM invites players, forces them to play, and never makes room for anyone else's fun? I've always found that player buy in prior to the game negates pretty much all of these issues of DM entitlement.

Buy in to what?

Look back at the example. The pitch was made. During session Zero more details were given, and the players asked for a change. Not one player. Five of them.

What agency did they give up? They aren't asking to change the pitch, they are asking to change a setting detail. A detail they were not aware of before session 0. They are still bought into exactly what they agreed to, the pitch.

But the pitch doesn't tell them everything.

And "what kind of game?" I don't know. It took me having the entire table having a problem for people to even consider that there might be a change needed. And one of the first responses was dropping the group and finding a new one. Players were still bought in, but the DM would rather find a new group than change things to match what the group wants.

And, again, mostly in the other thread, but restriction after restriction is possible. During Session 0 is when those restrictions come to light. This is the time to have these discussions. But, they keep getting presented as one-sided discussions. The DM is under no obligation to do anything. If the players don't like that? No game. After all, you said yourself you wouldn't change anything that you enjoy for someone else's enjoyment.

Unless by pre-existing you were assuming the discussion happens after session 0, which has never once been the position put forth.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
In charge of the game setting, the game time, the game's participants (by choosing the players), the games theme, the games rules, the games location.

They are put in charge of pretty much everything. But, for some people even all that seems to not be enough. They need to be controlling more, and the players aren't responsible for any of it. They are... passive in the entire affair.
I have yet to see anyone advocate for that. The last thing I want are passive players. I want proactive players that are going to take the reins if they want and go do whatever they want their PCs to do.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Buy in to what?

Look back at the example. The pitch was made. During session Zero more details were given, and the players asked for a change. Not one player. Five of them.

What agency did they give up? They aren't asking to change the pitch, they are asking to change a setting detail. A detail they were not aware of before session 0. They are still bought into exactly what they agreed to, the pitch.

But the pitch doesn't tell them everything.

And "what kind of game?" I don't know. It took me having the entire table having a problem for people to even consider that there might be a change needed. And one of the first responses was dropping the group and finding a new one. Players were still bought in, but the DM would rather find a new group than change things to match what the group wants.

And, again, mostly in the other thread, but restriction after restriction is possible. During Session 0 is when those restrictions come to light. This is the time to have these discussions. But, they keep getting presented as one-sided discussions. The DM is under no obligation to do anything. If the players don't like that? No game. After all, you said yourself you wouldn't change anything that you enjoy for someone else's enjoyment.

Unless by pre-existing you were assuming the discussion happens after session 0, which has never once been the position put forth.
That's a misrepresentation of the broader point.

On most of these things, I totally agree, but let's use this in a practical context. Sure, it's hypothetically valid to have a game with no real DM, where narrative agency is guided by the rules and everyone, but that's not what we're discussing.

The real kicker is that when I say "absolute authority" I don't mean an iron-fisted DM who runs their game their way and their way only, I mean a DM who must, by necessity, act as the final word on rules judgements. Setting concerns are entirely parallel.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Right, insult me, then ignore me. Why not. It isn't like you started a thread asking questions that I'm trying to discuss.
People are likely to get upset when you imply, as you've done to Oofta and I, that we're either Tyrant DMs or selfish jerks without engaging in a peaceful dialogue.

Of course, I do understand that you may have felt either ganged up on or as though people were dismissing you out of hand.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Sure, I'll concede that those first two points (and arguably the third as well) were, in this hypothetical, proposed more by me than by the players. My point was more that, in your hypothetical example, you didn't seem to accept either playing a plane-hopping game within my homebrew setting or playing in a different, published setting, or working with the players to come up with a lore-friendly reason these Genasi characters were hanging out in the material plane as acceptable alternatives. It seemed therefore that my hypothetical group was for some reason insisting on playing a as Genasi, in my homebrew setting, exclusively in the material plane, and without working with me to come up with a lore-friendly explanation for this. If they would be willing to accept any one of these alternatives, there would be no conflict. Those are all points I would be willing to bend on. But, if the players for some reason insist on all of those points, as seemed to be the case in the hypothetical scenario you've presented me with, then I would decide not to DM this game (hence, "me DMing " being one of the points I listed that the players seemed to want).

Perhaps my point wasn't clear, or perhaps I misunderstood you, but I think this is where my issue comes from.

"working with the players to come up with a lore-friendly reason"

If we call this a "painting within the lines" proposal, then I want to ask you why the lines can't be moved.

Sure, maybe they will be happy playing your exact same campaign in a different setting. Maybe they'd be fine changing the campaign exciting. Maybe they are willing to paint within the lines. All of those are imminently possible, even likely.

The one thing that they cannot do, the one thing that the DM never does for the players, is move the line.

DMs move the lines all the time for their own purposes. But never, never will they move them for a player. And I don't get it. Why not? What is so terrible about this? You would rather not DM than move the line you drew in your campaign world.

I don't get it. There is no scenario where the DM budges. The very idea of it gets me accused of all of these terrible things. The lines can be moved. We move them all the time while building or rebuilding our campaign worlds. DMs often say they'd allow their players to change anything through their actions in the game world.

But never in session zero.

Well, I wasn't following the other thread, so ¯\(ツ)

I know, but like I said, a lot of familiar faces over here from over there, and Oofta did specifically spin this off of the discussion we had over there.

I mean, so far your hypothetical hasn't illustrated to me that this is anything other than the organic consequence of the designed DM-player dynamic.

The question I had was where the DM accepted the Authority of the Group.

And the answers I've received is they don't. They either negotiate the group into a place the DM accepts, or they leave.

On the flip side of this hypothetical though, if it is a single player putting forth an idea... the DM either negotiates the player into a place the DM accepts, or the player is booted.

So, this seems to answer the question of the thread. The DMs authority, by some people, is seen as so vast and encompassing that the DM is never required to compromise on anything. They may choose to, but they are never required to, if their desires aren't being met, then they leave and find a group who will agree with them.

I don't think that's a fair assessment. Sometimes the DM will agree with a single player's perspective.

Only if they want to, which is the catch isn't it? If the DM doesn't want to agree, then they simply don't.

That's why I turned to the group example, because I was seeking some limit. I've been told dozens of times that players should compromise. That good players wouldn't ask their DMs to press the envelope or allow something they didn't already pre-approve (other thread) but the DM has a full choice. If they don't want to compromise? That is perfectly fine. If they do? Then that is also perfectly fine.

After all, they are the DM.

Here "ultimate" is being used to mean "final," rather than "greatest". Though, I have personally been avoiding the term "ultimate authority" because it seems to set some folks off. Again, it seems from my perspective like you are really objecting more to the term "authority" than to the actual positions of the folks who advocate for a top-down power dynamic.

Maybe.

I've got no problem with a DM using a moderate veto power. Sometimes, it is necessary. What frustrates me is this constant dichotomy. This constant refrain that reminds all players, the DMs word is final, and if they don't like it, it won't happen.

And if a player advocates for something they want that the DM says no to? Then the player is in the wrong, maybe not the first time. But I have been asked why a player would even ask about making a character of a race or story the DM hadn't already approved. So clearly some people out there see even the act of working on the fringes as being problematic.

But if the DM wants it, it will happen.

I don't know what other people have told you. I'm largely just responding to posts directly quoting me at this point.

Which is fair, and I'm sorry I've got a background in this discussion that is coloring my responses.

I dunno, my posts seem to be getting a lot of Likes from the folks on the pro-DM Authority side of this discussion, so my position seems to resonate with them at least. There are some who seem to disagree with my position, like @Maxperson and @Lanefan, but they seem to be on the extreme end of the DM-Authority spectrum, where I seem to hold more moderate pro-DM Authority views.

I think you are correct that there are more extreme views out there. The problem is that both the moderate and extreme sides are using very similiar langauge, so sometimes it is hard to tell where the differences actually lie.

I mean, that's what I'm claiming that authority is needed for. My preferred game dynamic wouldn't really work without the top-down power structure. Not because I worry players would try to cheat, or ruin the game or whatever, but because I run the kind of game @Campbell describes as "exploration-based play," where I as DM set up and control the environment and the players play to discover it. That kind of play just straight-up isn't possible if the players can decide they have a key to this locked door, or there's a city of Dragonborn on this part of the map, or Genasi are native to the material plane. That creates a totally different play dynamic, where the group is creating the environment together as they go, rather than discovering an environment that has already been created.

Okay, but I think we are talking past each other a little bit.

Yes, I agree pulling out an item that solves the problem, when they didn't have that item before, is not a good style. Especially for an exploration game.

But, at session 0, when you show the players the map and say "you are starting in the town of Hummer" is there really a problem with them helping design that town? Maybe a few of the closest local spots? There is still everything else to explore.

I mean, I get wanting to keep the mystery for exploring the world, but I don't see why that prevents the players from helping sketch a few details, or to change one or two things.

I don’t want to get in the middle of this, but since you mentioned my comment about only the “anti-DM Authority side” using the term “Ultimate Authority,” allow me first to admit I was mistaken about that and apologize if I caused any misunderstanding, and second to suggest that it seems like you are maybe getting some cross-contamination between different posters positions here. Us generally pro-DM authority folks don’t all share the exact same opinions on the subject (see some of my disagreements with @Maxperson and @Lanefan, for example), and it seems like treating us all as a single side in opposition to you is causing some miscommunications. I know you’re carrying on several conversation threads at once, so it’s understandable that some of these different arguments would get mixed up. Happens to the best of us. But as much as you can try to compartmentalize the different conversations you’re holding simultaneously with different posters, I think that will help smooth over some of these hiccups.

That is some of it, and thank you for your considerations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yea, pretty much.

You're either intentionally making strawmen.

Or misunderstanding the argued points on a profound level.

Right, read the rest of that post please.

I making up things no one said, as he quotes someone saying that exact thing.

People are likely to get upset when you imply, as you've done to Oofta and I, that we're either Tyrant DMs or selfish jerks without engaging in a peaceful dialogue.

Of course, I do understand that you may have felt either ganged up on or as though people were dismissing you out of hand.

Not trying to imply either.

But when your words, which are all I can see, paint a picture, I'm going to point it out. When you say that you would not change some aspect of the game you like, no matter what, I'm going to point out that that seems like a rather extreme position, when the other half of the table is supposed to seek compromise on everything they want, unless it matches with what you want.

That's a misrepresentation of the broader point.

On most of these things, I totally agree, but let's use this in a practical context. Sure, it's hypothetically valid to have a game with no real DM, where narrative agency is guided by the rules and everyone, but that's not what we're discussing.

The real kicker is that when I say "absolute authority" I don't mean an iron-fisted DM who runs their game their way and their way only, I mean a DM who must, by necessity, act as the final word on rules judgements. Setting concerns are entirely parallel.

Again, you said that the DM was vital to the functioning of a DnD game.

Then, when I pointed out that there are rules, specific rules written by the game company, for multiple editions, which would allow a fully functional game without a DM, what was your response?

That I was strawmanning.

And again, we've had a few posters point this out. If you only want the "final word on rules judgement" why are you using the terms "Absolute Authority". That isn't what other people are using that phrase to mean.

And there have been discussions, rule judgements are a minimal part of the game. Usually, any confusion on the rules is based on forgetting what the rules are, and a group is fully capable of looking them up and deciding what the rules are. Maybe there needs to be a tie-break, or someone that everyone looks to to make that call, but that is a far far cry from any sort of "absolute authority"

Remove ads