D&D General DM Authority

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
1) The original design of Monopoly was for it to have one player get a lead then absolutely steamroll the remaining players.

2) A player coming to a DM's game and attempting to change it is as bad as a DM not telling the player what type of game it is.

3) To me, the biggest source of the moaning and groaning of DMs and players is them going to Session 1 without being both on page of type of game it is and finding the disagreement later after investment.

4) Most of the groups memes about D&D have a source based on the cultures of D&D and its community and designers.

Rhenny

Adventurer
Ideally, DM and Players need to have trust in each other and have to established the game concept prior to play. Does the DM use pre-existing challenges as created in adventure or does the group allow DM to improvise to add excitement and challenge at times.

Personally, I like DMing and playing in games where everyone is free to improvise in an attempt to add excitement and autonomy for players and DM alike. I like to encourage “yes and” interplay between characters and npc/monsters so that any encounter or situation can vary greatly depending on choices. I like players to know up front that as a DM, moments can change. Reinforcements can arrive. Monsters/NPCs can run or escape. Hazards can crop up at unexpected times. Sometimes evil masterminds even make mistakes. Sometimes magic functions strangely for better or worse.

I like to play with people who can immerse themselves in fantasy and push rules to the background. I like players who trust that the DMs job is to create excitement and challenge without invoking “us vs them” attitude. I always want to avoid the “Zero Sum Game” with D&D.

Last edited:

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
If I went by my experiences as a DM I would have a similar experience as you have. No issues.

However, like I said for research I have went in as a player looking at the online games that were available to me and I found the issues with DM authority consistently overriding player choice. I saw things much differently then I did as a DM running games.

And that is pretty much it. Like I said I am limited to what I can experience in the online D&D landscape but I can't discount what I have experienced.
Is it really a DM overriding player choice, or a player choosing to play something the DM has already said is not welcome at their table?

If I went by my experiences as a DM I would have a similar experience as you have. No issues.

However, like I said for research I have went in as a player looking at the online games that were available to me and I found the issues with DM authority consistently overriding player choice. I saw things much differently then I did as a DM running games.

And that is pretty much it. Like I said I am limited to what I can experience in the online D&D landscape but I can't discount what I have experienced.
But if this new player that has already read the PHB probably also did even the tiniest bit of research on the hobby simply because they took the time to read the PHB (something many veteran players can't claim). This extra exposure to the greater hobby would most likely lead them to the conclusion that some DMs restrict stuff because of reasons. Then they would already know they need to find a game that includes what they are looking for. Personally I would find it very unusual to meet a player that took the time to read the PHB but also did no further research or reading and was then flabbergasted by the idea that some DMs don't allow elfs in their games. IMHO, anyway.

I think people looking for games online have probably already been thoroughly introduced to the game. Even if they have never played it, I think before you start looking to play a game with strangers over the internet you have probably immersed yourself in the online culture.

I don't think many people get a Player's Handbook for Christmas and immediately go to Roll20 for their first go at playing the game.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I don't think it's "Entitlement" to expect to be able to play something in the book that you bought as an eager board game enthusiast?
The PHB itself tells you in the into section to ask the DM what is available and what isn't. Given that the game itself goes out of its way to tell players that so early in the book means that it is absolutely entitlement to expect all options to be available.

generic

It's been covered by many articles. Most games never came to a satisfying conclusion and ended up dragging on and on. The number one point most people come to is that house rules always ruined the basic gameplay. Interesting isn't it?

A correlative truth doesn't invalidate the exception, nor does it indicate a rule.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
To be honest, I have never played a game of Monopoly that didn't feel like it dragged on and on. Even without house rules. Imo, it is just a dreadful game, where the winner is decided pretty early on in the game, and what follows is just a long drawn out crawl towards the inevitable victory of that winner.
That’s by design. The game was created as a propaganda piece to teach kids about the inherent unfairness of capitalism.

generic

If the DM claims to want to run a game of 5E and then does not not allow the PC races that are in the PH...

I don't think it's "Entitlement" to expect to be able to play something in the book that you bought as an eager board game enthusiast?

It's a board game. I have never seen someone throw away the boot in Monopoly for "reasons". Yet this is what I see in most discord servers in the LFG section.
If they advertised as much beforehand, there's no problem.

Remove ads