• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM Encounter Helper - updated to v0.7

On both my windows Vista and XP machines, the program will open for a few seconds and then crash to the desktop.

I used that tool on my last nights session for the 1st time. Beside that after download it worked great, I experienced the same problem on my Win7 notebook as mentioned above.

Obviously, the tool requires an active internet connection to run. After I plugged in my LAN cable, the tools works normally.

Not sure if this was intended by negflar...

However: KUDOS to negflar! cool tool, speeds up gameplay and helps keeping an overview on all combat conditions.

insideru

First Post
I used that tool on my last nights session for the 1st time. Beside that after download it worked great, I experienced the same problem on my Win7 notebook as mentioned above.

Obviously, the tool requires an active internet connection to run. After I plugged in my LAN cable, the tools works normally.

Not sure if this was intended by negflar...

However: KUDOS to negflar! cool tool, speeds up gameplay and helps keeping an overview on all combat conditions.

Oh yea, i'm sorry .7 added the check for update thing on startup, and i didn't think of actually testing if you have an internet connection first before connecting. So that is the problem. I'll fix that in an upcoming build, i am taking about a month off from development due to some RL commitments.

Dave0047

First Post
Absolutely BRILLIANT! I love the very compact feel of this!

Problem is, when I try to upload a .dnd4e file it says "there was an error importing (the character's name).dnd4e". Also, when I log into the D&D Insider thingy through the program to load a monster (by copying and pasting a link from the compendium), it bugs out by leaving the entire stat line blank, but pops up with a colored stat block for a "Grell Philosopher" that looks like a compendium entry.

Am I doing something wrong?

PS: Any plans to incorporate Temp HP and Resistance for NPC's? Some enemies grant other enemies these benefits.

Last edited:

Dave0047

First Post
Oh, PLEASE don't tell me this project has been abandoned! I LOVE this program and I really think with the minor tweaks to fix the bugs I pointed out this could hands down be the best D&D 4e program on the web.

Any help?

insideru

First Post
Oh, PLEASE don't tell me this project has been abandoned! I LOVE this program and I really think with the minor tweaks to fix the bugs I pointed out this could hands down be the best D&D 4e program on the web.

Any help?

Heya,

I'm still here and no the program has not been abandoned. Just that it's been a few months since I updated it and probably wizards have changed the structure of the .dnd4e files meanwhile. To load from the compendium you mustn't copy/paste the link, but only the number of the monster, check the example on the pop-up. For example if the link is
Code:
http://www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/monster.aspx?id=273
you should only type 273 there. I can't say if they changed the compendium as well, in which case probably that won't work either.

I am experimenting with making the interface even more compact, mainly cause our DM is using an eeePC with an 1024x600 resolution. Also i was waiting for the Compendium Update that is to come with the new MM3 statblock type to update it.

I am glad you like the program, keep checking on the thread, you never know when i'll post an update :D

Ins,

Dave0047

First Post
I am glad you like the program, keep checking on the thread, you never know when i'll post an update :D

Ins,
Oh, trust me, this program is my new bread and butter as a 4e DM. My group will get to experience this first hand tonight, and I'll let ya know how they like it!

As for the monster compendium thing, I can't believe I misunderstood that. My bad! It turns out that it DOES load the monster properly, however it still has that issue with the "+" and "<" buttons after loading a monster that requires auth from DDI. You responded to someone on page three with this:
a)+b) are intended features. The program blocks those buttons while it connects and downloads the monster page from the compendium. After the download is complete, the buttons SHOULD be back to the way they were. Now, this problem happens AFTER you logged to DDI and when trying to load a monster that requires auth? I just don't have a DDI account yet and didn't have a way to test it. All i can say is that if you do load a monster that doesn't require auth, they do come back to normal, gonna check the code tho ... maybe i missed something.
So again, it still does not re-enable the "+" and "<" buttons after loading a creature from the compendium, even after waiting several hours.

Otherwise, I'm dying to see what you do next, and please understand that there are some people out there that really do appreciate and benefit from your hard work. Keep it up, you make the depressing digital side of 4e a much brighter place. :D

Dave0047

First Post
My group will get to experience this first hand tonight, and I'll let ya know how they like it!
Sorry for the double post, but I'm trying to keep this awesome thread alive AND provide feedback given the changes that have happened recently.

So, I put the program on my laptop (which has Windows 7 on it) and tried setting up the first encounter digitally before my group arrived. Unfortunately the program whited-out and said (Not Responding) on it, though I could see an error message at the bottom of the program that said "DMEHelper loaded successfully - in.. - Error - dmeh.sufx.net" or something like that. It's possible that it needs internet access to run properly, but that would suck as I tend to run my sessions at my local game store (convenient location, restaurants/7-11 within walking distance, etc) and there is no wifi hotspot within a mile of the store and they don't have high-speed interwebz.

I don't remember if it was covered but does this program need an active internet connection or is it a Windows 7 thing (which would be odd considering it does load correctly in Vista)?

Anxiously awaiting responses to this issue and the "<" "+" issue.

-Dave

insideru

First Post
this program need an active internet connection. Anxiously awaiting responses to this issue and the "<" "+" issue.

I have explained in a previous post that this is a bug (don't send-ing when no active inet conn), i have come to it but i never updated the post. What happened is that the app looked to see if there is a new version up, and i forgot to check if there is an active internet connection first. Basically, it tries to connect directly with the web address where i have the last version txt file, which happens to be dmeh.sufx.net.

Internet access is now checked before trying to do anything internet related :)
Regarding the other issue, with the loading monsters from the compendium, I think i found the issue and solved it.
Also revamped the auto-update module, as it apparently bugged.

get the newest file from :)
Code:
http://dmeh.sufx.net/dmeh_v0.7.0.2.zip

Last edited:

Dave0047

First Post
Okay, so I haven't checked the program without an internet connection yet, but the "<" "+" issue still exists. I simply opened the program from the desktop, right-clicked the arrow, selected "load monster from compendium" and typed "300" for the Kobold Dragonshield. Now, it DOES load the HP, AC, REF, FORT, and WILL, but it still does not re-enable the < or + symbol to the left. Just continuing to report issues for you, not trying to sound like a whiny little girl lol.

Thanks for the continued hard work! :D

insideru

First Post
Well for some reason the fix was there but it never got called. Anyhow, try this version now ... and while you're at it, can you also try the autoupdate fix i did in the previous file? go to help - check for updates and download it from there. I need you to tell me if the monsters that require ddi login load as they should and that the < and + return to normal state after loading them.

If you can't update from the auto update, get the file from
Code:
http://dmeh.sufx.net/dmeh_v0.7.0.3.zip

Remove ads