D&D 5E DM getting to PLAY!!! Woo-hoo!

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Last time I played, and it's very rare I do, I took the Human Fighter with 3 INT (he was the only martial character, so while I try not to play what the group "needs," it was a pretty obvious necessity).

It wasn't glorious on paper, but then again, I wanted to take the chance to roleplay not only my character's personality but his stats (he knew he wasn't smart and got hurt when others mentioned it), to do the unexpected (charge a ghost because till then he's always operated under the belief his fists can solve anything), and to simply have a good time. I would have achieved those goals with wizard, cleric, or rogue.

The Fighter also let me have a pretty simple array of options while giving other characters plenty of opportunities to shine.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Mostly utility, whether through skills (such as rogue) or via utility spells.
Same here. I'd probably go with a rogue. Their skills are excellent, especially with expertise and you don't have to worry about finding or picking spells when you level. You said you like Tolkien races, so elf or half-elf. Halfling as well if you like small races.

Edit: If you really want spellcasting and like skills, Bard is another good choice. Very good with the utility.
Thanks! I am looking forward to it, believe me! :D
Heh. Those times when I get to play have so much time in-between that I always marvel at how little I have to do. I'm just deciding how 1 character is going to react to what the DM says and does through the world and the other PCs, rather than having to run several NPCs at once or in close succession, remember if/when things will happen, react to what 4 players are doing, and so on. It's refreshing and when you pick up DMing again, you will be energized to go back to it.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Heh. Those times when I get to play have so much time in-between that I always marvel at how little I have to do. I'm just deciding how 1 character is going to react to what the DM says and does through the world and the other PCs, rather than having to run several NPCs at once or in close succession, remember if/when things will happen, react to what 4 players are doing, and so on. It's refreshing and when you pick up DMing again, you will be energized to go back to it.
Yeah, it gets to me as well... just worrying about one PC instead of pretty much the entire multiverse the players are in!

Unfortunately, since I am in two groups, I am still DMing for one while I play in the other. Still, a bit of a reprieve. :)

Mad_Jack

Legend
Hmm... Mostly average ability scores...

Archer ranger?

1/2-elf would get you 14, 13, 13 for your abilities and two extra skills...

Have you thought about multiclassing?

1/2-elf land druid/feypact tomelock (14 cha 13 wis) makes for a great utility character and almost all of the complexity is in the creation process rather than play...
You can pick up a bunch of the support/knowledge skills (Medicine, Arcana, Nature, Survival, History, Animal Handling) with a custom background, and most of your class features are passive things that just get you more spells...
Starting as a druid lets you end up with decent saves in all three mental abilities, and if you go druid 2, then warlock 4 you'll get your first ASI (and have 8 cantrips) by 6th level. Another 2 druid levels put you back on track for an ASI at 8th level. If you don't grab a feat, that'll put you at 16 cha 15 wis.
EB and Hex (and if necessary, Shillelagh) will be your go-to combat spells, and you can use most of your druid slots for healing and utility to avoid spells that require saving throws. You'll have the spell slots to drop concentration on Hex and recast it later if there's another concentration spell that'd be more advantageous to the party in that fight.
Take agonizing blast and armor of shadows for your invocations, and maybe pick up book of ancient secrets later on to add rituals to your repertoire.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'd go with a Rogue, if I were you, but if you're DM allows it, consider playing an Expert. Then you can "Help" as a bonus action. Just be the helpful support. Make a character with a personality that asks a lot of questions, that way you can deliver any advice you may have in the form of a question to the other characters.

"Hey, should we go this way? You want me to scout it out?"

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Have you thought about multiclassing?
I MC my characters every time so this time I am going to keep it single classed.

I do like half-elves and rangers aren't often played in this group, so that's a thought... :) However, I would have to avoid the classic scout-type ranger.

I'd go with a Rogue, if I were you, but if you're DM allows it, consider playing an Expert. Then you can "Help" as a bonus action. Just be the helpful support. Make a character with a personality that asks a lot of questions, that way you can deliver any advice you may have in the form of a question to the other characters.

"Hey, should we go this way? You want me to scout it out?"
I play rogues A LOT, and I thought about the Expert route so I wouldn't be as strong a PC. Of course the lower ability scores help in that way.

If I do play a rogue or expert (I was thinking a dwarven locksmith), it would be something where I am not good at scouting--I don't want to be the scout of the party.

Play something you might have banned as DM to see if it truly is as broken in game play as assumed from the other side of the screen?
That is a good idea. I've never liked Artificers and when I had one in a game it was really OP. Maybe I'll review it and see about it. Thanks.

Remove ads