DM Issues: Railroading

Ariosto

First Post
If you don't have the motivation that leads to "railroading" players by the strictest definition, then you are less likely to do something that looks like "railroading" by any definition.

The motivation that leads to "railroading" is partiality.

Note that the original term for the moderator in the D&D rules was referee. A dungeonmaster who is disinterested not only when one PC faction clashes with another but when PCs take on "the world" has no destination toward which to lay rails.

Why introduce a single overwhelmingly "no brainer" course of action in the first place, if the object is to provide interesting options for players? That is of course a question the particular judge must answer from his or her own heart.

I once thought up a scenario that was essentially really a story. Its dramatic effect depended, though, on the players' emotional and conceptual responses to events. Even if I could have forced them to go through certain outward motions, their inner movement -- the real key -- was something that I could only hope to influence. The climax involved revelation of how they had misunderstood things. My aim was to "push the buttons" of their (presumed) habits of thought so that their own choices, which they (theoretically) had opportunity to inform, would in retrospect clearly have led step by step to that point.

That in the event came off very well. It would not have been a total dud, I think, if the players had not responded as I hoped, but it would not have had the almost literary beauty.

Another time, I ran a thoroughly "on rails" gauntlet of puzzles -- but it was plainly advertised as just that. It got an enthusiastically positive response, partly because once again (and more certainly) I had built in dramatic foreshadowing and revelation with particular timing.

That kind of thing can be very tempting, and certainly there are groups of players who by far prefer to ride such a railroad as a regular thing rather than to have something less like a drama and more like a game.

People who don't like it as a steady diet may nonetheless enjoy such a production as a "one-shot" (for instance at a convention).

On balance, though, I have found the greatest rewards to come from dramatic situations that arise "organically" in play. When I not only don't but can't know in advance what is going to happen, even narrow it down to a handful of options, I know I have an exciting game set up.

A mathematical exercise may suggest a difficulty with planning event-driven scenarios, one that can be part of the temptation to keep "getting players back on track":

- Suppose that at each step (decision point or event) one must move forward.
- Suppose there are only two options (outcomes) at each step.
- Suppose that no points (states of the scenario) overlap.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who count in binary and those who don't.

With 4 steps, there are 2^4 = 16 end points.
With 8 steps, there are 2^8 = 256 end points.
With 16 steps, there are 2^16 = 65,536 end points.

So, with 16 binary choices and no overlap/duplication, there are 65,535 final states alone that are "wasted" if you wrote them up for a single run. The more you devote your effort to preparing very specific scenario-states in advance, the more temptation there is to trim the tree.

This is not such a problem when one sets up an environment after the example of Dungeon and Wilderness maps and keys in old D&D. Provide the materials for a vast number of possible states, introduce players, and away you go!

"Players will not find a game enjoyable which confines them too much."

The definition of "railroading" aside, that is the bottom line. "Too much" is however much the particular players in question find not enjoyable.

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
Once again, I assume no controversy in claiming that the 4e PHB invites character development scripting. Let's start with the 4e DMG on campaigns:
"When you start a campaign, you should have some idea of its end and how the characters will get there. Fundamentally, the story is what the characters do over the course of the campaign.
Keep that point in mind—the story is theirs, not yours... If the characters go in drastically unexpected directions, try to coax them back to the story you want your game to tell without railroading them."
This is somewhat contradictory, but I think it boils down to "script, but don't be heavy-handed while trying to get players back onto the script". Or, to use the author's words again:
"you’ll at least have an idea of the campaign’s climax and how the characters can get there. When they stray from your outline—and they will—you’ll have some sense of what adventures to create to get them back on course"

I'm not sure I like their wording and strategy, and I'm a "my sessions should form a cool story about your PC" kind of guy.

Especially the concept of "where the campaign will end". That seems presumptious. If you're playing a heroic good guy, I'll give you a chance to kill the BBEG. But I'm not going to fully assume he'll end up dead. you might screw it up. Or change your mind. or capture him.

I'll probably re-arrange some things, if you bypass some content. If it makes sense that something can't be re-used (we carefully take these precautions to avoid spiders, then no spiders should appear). If I can re-use it, I will, because I'm cheap.

If you've done enough smart things in prior encounters, I'll make the next encounter the climactic battle with the bad guy, because that was the whole point of your pursuit of him. He can be anywhere that isn't contradictory to commonsense, player choices, and verisimilitude.

But I sure as heck don't want to coax PCs back onto a path. Ultimately, if the PCs really want to go south, find out why, and put some interesting stuff there.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who count in binary and those who don't.

-snip-

So, with 16 binary choices and no overlap/duplication, there are 65,535 final states alone that are "wasted" if you wrote them up for a single run. The more you devote your effort to preparing very specific scenario-states in advance, the more temptation there is to trim the tree.

This is not such a problem when one sets up an environment after the example of Dungeon and Wilderness maps and keys in old D&D. Provide the materials for a vast number of possible states, introduce players, and away you go!

"Players will not find a game enjoyable which confines them too much."

The definition of "railroading" aside, that is the bottom line. "Too much" is however much the particular players in question find not enjoyable.

Precisio. Well said.

Live the dream!
--SD

S'mon

Legend
The 4e DMG2 has some good examples of what WoTC seem to think a long-term campaign should look like. They seem fairly heavily scripted, building towards a predetermined climax and sometimes a campaign-ending revelation. The model seems to be more like literary or cinematic trilogies, rather than the wargames which influenced Arneson and Gygax.

nedjer

Adventurer
'Flexible sandbox' - couldn't even be bothered to go back for the quote. I thought even the Forge itself had accepted that it was one huge merry-go-round fueled by pseudo-science and too much bubblegum.

So did they mean a flexible flexible, or a sandbox sandbox when talking about a flexible sandbox? Pure mince :)

Last edited:

nedjer

Adventurer
The 4e DMG2 has some good examples of what WoTC seem to think a long-term campaign should look like. They seem fairly heavily scripted, building towards a predetermined climax and sometimes a campaign-ending revelation. The model seems to be more like literary or cinematic trilogies, rather than the wargames which influenced Arneson and Gygax.

Which is plain baffling, as a long-term campaign might benefit ever so slightly from opportunities for a number of revelations and climaxes. Not sure I want to wait six months for my next . . . revelation

S'mon

Legend
Which is plain baffling, as a long-term campaign might benefit ever so slightly from opportunities for a number of revelations and climaxes. Not sure I want to wait six months for my next . . . revelation

The models do include revelations and major events at the beginning or end of each Tier. If you're playing for 5 hours every week you can level up about every 2.5 sessions, and cover a 10-level tier in 6 months, which as you say is still a long long time. Anything less and it will stretch out interminably - eg 2.5 hours a fortnight, 5 session to level at standard XP, gives 2 years per tier, and 6 years for a 30-level campaign!

I think WoTC would do better to look at the design of fully satisfying campaigns focused on a single Tier, because I suspect that's a much more practical model for most people if you want a literary/cinematic approach. The big climaxes should be at most every 3 levels, not 10. And a typical significant adventure should be 1 level, not 3-4.

Edit: Looking at the literary sources, I think the 1-Tier model fits them better too. Eg the hobbits of LoTR have an Heroic Tier campaign, going from plucky novices to battle-hardened veterans. Fafhrd & Mouser start at the beginning of Paragon when we meet them, and edge into Epic at the end of their 40-year careers. Elric starts off at the beginning of Epic when he's the first guy for centuries to summon a Chaos Lord, and caps out at 30th at the time of his demise.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
On static vs tailored encounters - I use tailored encounters in my 4e game. HeroQuest revised edition has an entire action resolution and pacing mechanic based on tailored encounters (where the tailoring is relative to prior successes or failures by the PCs), which has influenced my approach to GMing 4e (and some of this stuff is cribbed by Laws in his sections of the 4e DMG2).

Another published example of tailoring is The Dying Earth RPG, which describes monster stats expressly by reference to the average strength of the PCs in relevant abilities - this is building tailoring right into the NPC stat block!

But tailoring is orthogonal to railroading. Tailoring has no implications for the players making meaningful choices in dimensions other than "how hard will this be". And it even permits meaningful choices of that sort in at least some cases - a Dying Earth GM can easily create a situation, for example, where going to place A will result in meeting two hostile creatures whose statblock is appropriately tailored, while going to place B will result in meeting only one such creature.

What tailoring does presuppose is that the GM has a certain role in exercising situational authority - the framing of scenes.Tailoring vs static is relevant, therefore I think, to classic D&D: the advice that Gygax gives at the end of the PHB, for example, would make no sense at all if the GM was adjusting the difficulty of encounters in response to pacing concerns, PC strengths etc, because that advice is all about how good players should take responsiblity for getting their PCs into and out of the situations that are there to be found in the dungeon.

Of course, in the DMG Gygax then goes on to instruct GMs on how they should exercise situational authority - for example, in his well known discussion of how various dungeon occupants might respond to a raid by the PCs. Implicit in this advice, presumably, is that the GM won't have the occupants repsond in such a way as to be unfair to the players and to the capabilities of their PCs - this therefore suggests a degree of tailoring even in classic D&D, as well as a possibility of play breaking down as the players exercise situational authority via "skilled play", the GM exercises situational authority in response via "rat bastard-ism", and the whole thing escalates and degenerates in the way that is exemplified in some early Dragon and White Dwarf discussions of tricks and traps.

Again, though, this lurking incoherence in classic D&D strikes me as being orthogonal to railroading.

Remove ads