D&D 5E DM purposely gimping my Warlock

Tormyr

Adventurer
So my general style is to allow the party to take rests when they fit in the story or the party is willing to take the risk. So sometimes (mostly when traveling) they might have 1 encounter per long rest. Other times (when in the middle of a cultist temple) they might get 4 or 5 encounters before a short rest. Would this drive the player of a Warlock nuts?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I've told my players "don't sweat the hour-long rest. Sometimes rests may be shorter; if there's a clear, logical, longish break between scenes when you aren't in danger, I'll usually count it as a short rest."

I'm guessing this GM prefers a system where the PC resources are really strained to their limits. It's a valid play style, but I think I'd want to know it ahead of time."

Sacrosanct

Legend
So my general style is to allow the party to take rests when they fit in the story or the party is willing to take the risk. So sometimes (mostly when traveling) they might have 1 encounter per long rest. Other times (when in the middle of a cultist temple) they might get 4 or 5 encounters before a short rest. Would this drive the player of a Warlock nuts?

Yeah this. I like to let the game dictate when rests happen, not some predetermined amount (like the "only 2 per day" or whenever the party wants one).

drjones

Explorer
Maybe I did not explain myself as well as I intended to. I simply tried to point out where the DM's houserules appear to be based on earlier editions and reflect the DM's preferred playing style. I did not intend any support or condemnation of any edition. If that came across, then I apologize.

I think the issue would be saying that the OP was looking for a more 4E experience. By asking about changes from RAW he's not, he's looking for a 5E experience.

I would find a different game. Some restrictions can make the game more enjoyable and challenging, but they can also be a way to be a bit of a control freak. If it was a friend then I'd try to work out a deal where we can both be happy, but for a stranger online it hardly seems worth the effort. As Dan Savage might say if he was a D&D nerd: DTMFDMA.

EtherealWatcher

First Post
I would ask for his reason behind the system tweaks. If they don't make sense or he has none try to reason with him if not, simply quit. There are other games with GMs that will at least run by the book. Especially if you are playing on Roll20.

Remove ads