DM Ruling: Telekinesis and Alchemist's Fire

DizzyKungFu

First Post
I am the DM for a player who has come up with an interesting idea that I'm not sure how to make a ruling on:

Telekinesis allows you to hurl one or more objects toward a target, provided all objects are within 10 ft. of each other and their total weight does not exceed 25 lbs./level. Alchemist's fire flasks weigh 1.25 lb. each, so the player wants to have his character hurl 200 flasks of Alchemist's fire at a single opponent. He expects that, if they all hit, it would do 200d6 points of fire damage to the target.

I'd like advice from you fellow DMs out there. Assuming I allow his character to actually get that much Alchemist's fire, how would you handle this situation and this unique attack? Please post your input. Thanks!

kreynolds

First Post
DizzyKungFu said:
Assuming I allow his character to actually get that much Alchemist's fire, how would you handle this situation and this unique attack? Please post your input. Thanks!

Just make him roll for all 200 attacks. :D

kreynolds

First Post
Crothian said:
How's he carrying all of this? Sure it weights a lot, but it's also going to be darn cumbersome.

That's not really the point. If he stacks the bottles up and just wants to blast them, kinda like a trap, it's not a big deal. He just needs to roll for the next couple of hours. :)

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
kreynolds said:

That's not really the point. If he stacks the bottles up and just wants to blast them, kinda like a trap, it's not a big deal. He just needs to roll for the next couple of hours. :)

So, he makes them all himself, and stacks them in a particuliar place and waits for someone to come along?

THis just seems like one of those times when there has to be an easier way of doing this. :D

DizzyKungFu

First Post
Crothian said:

So, he makes them all himself, and stacks them in a particuliar place and waits for someone to come along?

Yes, that's exactly what he planned to have his character do, I believe.

Last edited:

theridion

First Post
you have to use general knowledge on this...

firstly, all 200 flasks must be within 10 feet of eachother... and i would say they have to be spread out, and all ready to be hurled in waves... if you have a big clump of them in a bag, i would rule that only a fraction of them would hit the creature, while the rest would hit cover(the rows upon rows of other flasks)... and a big flaming bag would merely fall to the ground, with only the portion that touched the person would cause damage...

if you had a huge group of them spread out, i would vote that they all hit continuously(all 200) and are able to be spread around and hit in successive slams against the opponent...

lastly, you WOULD have to roll for every individual flask... even a bag of flasks would require individual rolls, because you would have to control each flask individually.

if its really something you are worried about them doing, i have two ideas/equestions

1 - why are you playing with such a tool?
2 - just limit the number of items able to be thrown/round maybe 10-20 can be hurled each 6 seconds...

Dr. Zoom

First Post
He certainly needs to make an attack roll for each flask, at BAB + his Int bonus. I would max the damage at 20d6. This is how much the character would take if he was submerged in lava. The target would would also likely be on fire and should have to put it out or take more damage.

This surely cannot be a very practical tactic. The logistics here suck, not to mention the risk of an accident. :D

Crothian

First Post
Let him do it and use odds. Odds are he'll really hurt if not kill his target. Odds are also that 20 will be fumbles and cause him lots of problems. So, have 20 of them colide near him and cover him with this stuff and then have them both die.

Remove ads