DM Ruling: Telekinesis and Alchemist's Fire

IceBear

Explorer
DizzyKungFu said:

Limiting the damage based on Telekinesis doesn't make much sense to me. The damage is being done by Alchemist's fire, not directly by the Telekinesis effect. It might be possible to duplicate this effect in a mundane way (say with some sort of mechanical device)... so in that case, the matter of that much Alchemist's fire hurled at a single target is still the crux of the issue.

Yes, but whenever I make a game ruling I take overall balance into effect. Allowing something to do 200d6 points of damage is unbalancing in my mind and thus I would rule against it. This is one way - capping the damage (as you can only be on fire so much). Another is, he had better be VERY careful when transporting that much alchemist fire or there's libel to be a BIG explosion before he wants one.

IceBear

DizzyKungFu

First Post
IceBear said:

Another is, he had better be VERY careful when transporting that much alchemist fire or there's libel to be a BIG explosion before he wants one.

IceBear

Interesting... what do you suppose would happen from said "BIG explosion"?

IceBear

Explorer
DizzyKungFu said:

Interesting... what do you suppose would happen from said "BIG explosion"?

Well, it depends :) as what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

I'd probably rule he takes 20d6 points of damage. If, somehow, he had managed to convince me that the damage from his use of this tactic should be 200d6 then he'd take 200d6 points of damage :). Since I don't think he'd convince me that it should do 200d6 points of damage to one creature, I'd cap it at 20d6 (or something lower).

As has been pointed out in the past, if you think something is cheesy but you can't find a legitimate reason to rule against it, then allow it, but then use the same tactic against them later. It'll probably be even easier for the NPCs to pull this on the PCs as the PCs are normally invading their lairs and as was mentioned, this will take some time and effort to set up.

IceBear

Last edited:

jasper

Rotten DM
from the srd The character must succeed at attack rolls (one per creature or object thrown) to hit the target with the items, using the character's base attack bonus + the character's Intelligence modifier....

So wizard is bab at 20 is +10 +5
include 22 int for +6 so
1 st flask is +16
2nd flask is +11
3rd flask is +6
4 flask is +1
since you can't do mulitple attacks is the bonus is neg.

he rolls for 4 flasks 4d6 next round he needs roll of dc 15 reflex but he is standing in puddle of fire so say he take 2d6 till he out of puddle.

what do yall think

kreynolds

First Post
jasper said:
So wizard is bab at 20 is +10 +5
include 22 int for +6 so
1 st flask is +16
2nd flask is +11
3rd flask is +6
4 flask is +1
since you can't do mulitple attacks is the bonus is neg.

I think if you cut out this entire part, it's fine. You don't use your base attack bonus progression, just your base attack bonus for all attack rolls. It's essentially one giant push against multiple objects and you're sending them all in one direction. The reason behind this is that you don't exercise individual control over each and every object, and you don't get any Strength or Dexterity bonuses, or any Weapon Focus or Weapon Specialization bonuses. One bonus for all attack rolls if fine.

Remove ads